Video: No jail for driver who resisted clamping in Bangkok

webfact

Video: No jail for driver who resisted clamping in Bangkok

7pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that Dusit Court in Bangkok had fined a Honda City driver 8,500 baht for four offences related to an incident caught on video last Wednesday. 

The video showed Pol Lance Corporal Thanakit Wiboonphan trying to clamp a car parked illegally. 

But the driver tussled with him.

The 53 year old driver avoided jail but was prosecuted under four charges. 

1. Having no licence. 

2. Illegal parking

3. Disobeying a police request

4. Resisting and fighting with a policeman doing his duty

He was fined 8,500 baht in total. 

Thanakit went on his Facebook page to ask people to obey the law. He said he had requested the driver to move his vehicle but he had still refused. 

The driver had parked in a red and white no parking zone. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-11

• Thanks 1

Tussling with the BiB seems insane, especially considering the low levels of accountability if the situation were to escalate and the Policeman shot the guy he was trying to arrest.

That said, 8500baht for resisting arrest and fighting a Police officer is also insane - its truly astonishing the low charges here. 

A number of years ago my friend and his wife were pulled over by a lone Policeman on a motorcycle.  She was asked to get out of the car, she wasn’t happy about it and her tone wasn’t polite. The Policeman slapped her across the face. It took all my my friends resolve not to get involved - given the 8500baht fine quoted above I’m sure my friend may have reconsidered and knocked the Policeman clean out.

12 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Wow. Nobody comes to the cops aid LOL.

In the States you would have citizens jumping out of their cars to help the cop.

Are you from the states?

My American friends say you get shot down, which is fair enough. Gotta respect the police. Once you go soft then the fear factor is gone.

Police in Australia need to shoot first ask questions later. The baddies are taking over there and police are being bashed.

On 3/11/2019 at 11:36 AM, mercman24 said:

bet if that was a farang resisting a cop, they would come out of the woodwork and beat the shit out of him.... 

Where do you get this ridiculous notion from? There have been so many instances (one at the airport, one in Pattaya - just two from memory) where we see farangs bring very very aggressive towards cops and trying to fight. They were handled with commendable restraint. No violence. No-one got the shit beaten out of them. They were taken, gently, calmly, to sober up then released. 

Say what you like about the police here, but they do act with amazing patience and restraint on a regular basis - both to thais and farangs. But of course you are entitled to believe your paranoid nonsense. It's almost an automatic reply on these forums whenever a Thai is treated gently - "if only that was a farang!" 

Get over your paranoia. 

Just waiting now for someone to bring up the off duty policeman shooting the French guy. Hardly standard procedure. 

Seems a bit silly to me to clamp a car that is parked in a a no parking zone. The main reason for such zones is to avoid traffic congestion. Clamping does nothing to avoid that. A bunch of tow trucks and an impound area, or moving the vehicle out of the area then clamping it might make more sense. This doofus is lucky not to get shot.