What is your legal status and consequences if failing to meet a post seasoning bank book check?

2 minutes ago, Grusa said:

They give you the form, make you read it, sign it, then THEY photocopy it and give you the copy.

Whilst I have grave doubts about their ability to run a filing system for all that paper, their computer system gets better, and their is undoubtedly paper proof that you have seen it and signed it. No proof you read it or understood it - so what? So it all depends on their ability to find the papers, unless they run under Napoloenic law - which they mostly do, when it suits them.

And probably the agents deliver those documents to " the backroom " :whistling: that day, and collect them back stamped to deliver to their " no 800k money having clients " :wink: for proof the money was still on account , servicing their clients this way and cover up the other party...

If B.J. is sincere  I would suggest him a few " flying taskforces " to do random checking :tongue:

1 minute ago, david555 said:

And probably the agents deliver those documents to " the backroom " :whistling: that day, and collect them back stamped to deliver to their " no 800k money having clients " :wink: for proof the money was still on account , servicing their clients this way and cover up the other party...

If B.J. is sincere  I would suggest him a few " flying taskforces " to do random checking :tongue:

Agents are relevant to this discussion because the stated "reason" for all this seasoning on steroids madness was people cheating with agents, supposedly to catch the bad guys out farangs using such agents. Yes, I said it IS relevant!

Referring to the opening question, if what I described in the OP was you and you had a report order, had gotten a legit annual extension without agent, knowing what we know now (not enough) about what might face you if you show up at immigration with an "under" bank book, what should people do?

I don't know. I'm asking.

Should they even show up at all?

Ubonjoe suggests they might receive some leniency if the under amount was small. 

That's a big risk, and what if it's not so small, because of something like an emergency medical expense or 100 other reasons that people spend lots of money on short notice.

Maybe the thing to do would simply be to leave the country BEFORE the bank report date without a reentry permit, kill your extension, and then either reenter another way for a temporary stay to clean up your business here, leave completely right then if you can manage that, and/or attempt to start over with a new O visa in a neighboring country, an O-A visa from home country, or conversion from tourist or stamp to O then extension in Thailand.

OR come back and start over with an agent!

OR go to an agent and see if he can "fix" the problem without leaving the country even though you had a legit recent extension,

Yes, I'm going there. This rule situation appears to maybe DRIVING people to agents. Those that never even considered it before. Rules meant to stop that seem to maybe be doing the OPPOSITE.

Another issue -- under these new extreme seasoning rules have we reached the place where once you START to use an agent you're stuck using an agent always in future, year after year?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Agents are relevant to this discussion because the stated "reason" for all this seasoning on steroids madness was people cheating with agents, supposedly to catch the bad guys out farangs using such agents. Yes, I said it IS relevant!

Referring to the opening question, if what I described in the OP was you and you had a report order, had gotten a legit annual extension without agent, knowing what we know now (not enough) about what might face you if you show up at immigration with an "under" bank book, what should people do?

I don't know. I'm asking.

Should they even show up at all?

Ubonjoe suggests they might receive some leniency if the under amount was small. 

That's a big risk, and what if it's not so small, because of something like an emergency medical expense or 100 other reasons that people spend lots of money on short notice.

Maybe the thing to do would simply be to leave the country BEFORE the bank report date without a reentry permit, kill your extension, and then either reenter another way for a temporary stay to clean up your business here, leave completely right then if you can manage that, and/or attempt to start over with a new O visa in a neighboring country, an O-A visa from home country, or conversion from tourist or stamp to O then extension in Thailand.

OR come back and start over with an agent!

OR go to an agent and see if he can "fix" the problem without leaving the country even though you had a legit recent extension,

Yes, I'm going there. This rule situation appears to maybe DRIVING people to agents. Those that never even considered it before. Rules meant to stop that seem to maybe be doing the OPPOSITE.

Another issue -- under these new extreme seasoning rules have we reached the place where once you START to use an agent you're stuck using an agent always in future, year after year?

The basic ruling does not disturb so much, but that I have not the freedom to use my own money If needed … more only the freedom to that ,as mine is voluntarily already years seasoned …, but those now making transfers 65000 k , may " swing.. use... drink or whatever " their money the minute it comes in on bank ….and we who have our OWN real money must keep it 7 months on 800K and 5 months on 400 k ….this is pure discrimination …. total UNLOGIC …… but real " Thainess"

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, I've been following this and my impression is that the show bank book thing will not prevent people from traveling on that stamped date, but they would be required to show up after reentering Thailand. Of course immigration assuming they're organized well enough (and there is strong evidence they are getting more organized) would know the list of people that are ordered and haven't shown. 

As far as what this represents in general. I am very concerned and I think it's rational for all foreigners to be concerned. I also think prospective future expats should take note of this as well. It's not about one rule. There is a trend going on that you would need to be totally blind not to see. 

Agreed on the last part for sure.  The crack down trend has been going for quite some time - tourist visa border runners, career overstayers, Ed visas, marriage, Operation Xray sweeps, and now the financial fraud with income affidavits and visa agents.  The front office staff at my immigration office is new, only recognized 1 or 2 supervisor faces during my last 90 day.  The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I have to do my annual extension next week.  Should be interesting.

• Like 2

I just found this quite on topic video.

You might need to watch it more than once to completely process what he's trying to say.

Sadly, what he seems to be saying is ambiguous, and it is only his opinion and he openly admits that.

Here goes --

He mentions the 90 day bank book check in reports.

Anyone that still doesn't believe those are real, I can't help you.

He seems to DIFFERENTIATE the before extension application seasoning and the 90 days AFTER seasoning as being the vitally important ones as far as enforcement.

He seems to be implying (but never states explicitly) that if you get a 90 day report notices and do show up and are under, that's really part of the EARLIER stage of the process, so would have consequences. You may read this a different way but like I said watch it more than once.

For the period AFTER the 90 day bank book check in period (the beginning of the 400K stage) he is clearly saying it is his opinion that you won't be bothered until next year's application. He suggests it may be a problem if you go under the 400K for next year's application but that you can probably relax (again his opinion) if you make it to the 400K stage as far this CURRENT year's extension. 

Take this for what you think it's worth. 

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You might need to watch it more than once to completely process what he's trying to say.

Sadly, what he seems to be saying is ambiguous, and it is only his opinion and he openly admits that.

Here goes --

He seems to DIFFERENTIATE the before extension application seasoning and the 90 days AFTER seasoning as being the vitally important ones as far as enforcement.

He seems to be implying (but never states explicitly) that if you get a 90 day report notices and do show up and are under, that's really part of the EARLIER stage of the process, so would have consequences. You may read this a different way but like I said watch it more than once.

For the period AFTER the 90 day bank book check in period (the beginning of the 400K stage) he is clearly saying it is his opinion that you won't be bothered until next year's application. He suggests it may be a problem if you go under the 400K for next year's application but that you can probably relax (again his opinion) if you make it to the 400K stage as far this CURRENT year's extension. 

That would at least be a logical control as 90 days are stopped by leaving the country .

My objections about all this is first the freedom to travel whiteout worry's about control ...and secondly the discrimination against " the poor soles non 800K , but having 65K " (joking guy's..., don't get upset :tongue:...)

With this suggestion I could live ...

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Here goes --

I would have more confidence in his analysis if he had prepared himself and his opinions before commiting to air. Self seeking advertising, no useful content.

• Like 1

Here's a simple solution leave the 800k in the bank year round (allow for currency fluctuations and leave a mil in the bank to be sure) then you won't need to worry about playing financial dodgeball year round.

It's less than 25K AUD.

I'm a bloody pauper and I can afford it !!! lol lol???? 

Man there must be some really poor expat folks living in Thailand that can't afford to save themselves a huge amount of angst and effort by putting 25K AUD in the bank on a fixed deposit and earn a tad interest and report and validate via this method.

• Like 1

Not sure what all the drama in the OP's post is.  If failing to meeting the funds for whatever reason, could you not fly to Penang, get a single non-imm O at renewal expiration time, and then restart the process?  Or am I missing something?  Seems like much ado about nothing, unless the 1-2000 baht plane ticket is too much!

Edited by grifbel

11 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Two fairly obvious responses to the OP's question & subsequents: (1) The POINT of the post-reasoning constraint is to catch out those who, in the past, didn't have the money & borrowed it from a so-called 'agent' & paid it back the next day ie cheats.

That is an incorrect interpretation.  The existing pre-application seasoning should have already prevented "one day loans" from being done by agents for applicants - but agent-applications were not subjected to the seasoning requirement.  The Only point of the seasoning-requirements was to prevent loans from sources that did not share the proceeds with immigration.

The agent rates have increased since the latest changes, but the practice carries on - since the only change was to seasoning which can simply be ignored.

To the extent anything changed, the new rules make it even harder for non-agent loan-providers (not sharing their profits with corrupt immigration IOs) to compete with immigration's Agent-Partners, who transfer most of their "fees" collected to their IO partners.

11 hours ago, mfd101 said:

This does imply that there won't be much interest in your bank balance AFTER the 1st 90 days and until the next extension of stay. (2) There's a pretty good chance noone on the Thai side of the desk has thought past that. ...

A further 90-day bank-book appointment could be forthcoming.

5 hours ago, newatthis said:

Mmmm, are those stocks I see being built in front of the Immigration Office

At Jomtien, they seem to always have the open-air cage paddy-wagon out front, as a reminder of their power.

5 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

Yes, the ambiguity surrounding visas is the largest negative about staying in Thailand.

By far, yes.  I rather like the place, otherwise.

5 hours ago, Ebumbu said:

Since "the retirement visa" has become so convoluted, I'm considering backup plans, including starting a Thai business and other types of visas to ensure my continuity here (not a tourist visa).  

Per reports, operating a business here is expensive and involves significant corruption payments to avoid problems.  Given this, one might as well just pay agents for retirement-extensions, unless you actually want to run open a business with a good chance of being profitable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I would have more confidence in his analysis if he had prepared himself and his opinions before commiting to air. Self seeking advertising, no useful content.

Thought the same thing, it's just his opinion, which I happen to agree with. 

I do not believe there's some sinister, anti-farang motive here.  Thai Immigration has been hosed up for a long time, and a certain kind of element is attracted to the permissive environment resulting from this kind of programmatic dysfunction.

Once you let shit run amok for too long, it takes a lot of grit to regain control, and there will be unintended casualties.  I've stepped into operations that were a mess.  Some you can use a scalpel.  Others... yeah.... it was easier and faster to chuck a proverbial grenade in the room, wait for the dust to settle, then start again.

45 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Here's a simple solution leave the 800k in the bank year round (allow for currency fluctuations and leave a mil in the bank to be sure) then you won't need to worry about playing financial dodgeball year round.

It's less than 25K AUD.

Man there must be some really poor expat folks living in Thailand that can't afford to save themselves a huge amount of angst and effort by putting 25K AUD in the bank on a fixed deposit and earn a tad interest and report and validate via this method.

Two things.  Some people, especially those who have been here for a long time, had no reason to plan on having 800K in a Thai bank.  They used Embassy letters for many years.  Secondly, if you have the 25K AUD in an OZ bank and you have an emergency, you just withdraw the required funds and there is no consequence.  If you take it from your home country bank and put it in a Thai bank and the same emergency happens the consequence is expulsion.  And if I had a mil that I didn't care about, I would just have gone Elite route.  After all its only a mil.

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

It's less than 25K AUD.

I have suggested exactly this in several threads. I even suggested 1 mill as per your post. Put in fixed deposit and leave it there. Not as nice as before but no big deal. 

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That is NOT logical for the people that have ALREADY been given a paper ORDERING them to come in 90 days after their annual extension approval.

I know what you're saying was the optimists line BEFORE the 90 day show bank book orders started happening.

That view is now obviously dated and obsolete.

If your theory was correct, they would not be ORDERING people to show up 90 days after to show that their bank books show that they have complied with the required post extension seasoning rule (800K in the account AFTER the extension). 

People -- please focus on the real question here. The orders are real. We do need to know the consequences for people that follow the order to show up and have not complied.

How would they know?  If you do a 90 day address report is there a stamp in your passport that says you have been ordered to bring in a bank book?  They can't look at everybody so it must be the honor system that you show them a bank book.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

they might receive some leniency if the under amount was small.

I recall exactly one case of "leniency" - guy went for a retirement-extension using combo, was a few satang-off in exhchange-rate, which was used on "the day of application" to monthly transfers months before, which were well-over the minimum at the time they were transferred.  They said, "No Way." 

So they guy comes back with his Thai wife and says, "Ok, my income is over the marriage-level, so I'll do a marriage-extension." 

Huddle and discussion - "Oh NO!  That's even More Work for a marriage-based extension.  We thought he'd come back with a Big Fat Brown Envelope when we Screwed him before.  What we Do?" 

He got the retirement extension.  So, "leniency"? Only when it's the lazy way. 

Any little thing found, which can be used to avoid processing an extension entirely, it should be assumed will be used for that purpose.

1 hour ago, grifbel said:

If failing to meeting the funds for whatever reason, could you not fly to Penang, get a single non-imm O at renewal expiration time, and then restart the process?  Or am I missing something? 

If it will be that easy, why wouldn't everyone do it every year?  A better solution is a Non-O Multiple-Entry Visa from Penang or Savannakhet - where you can keep your money in your own country, qualify with a foreign bank-book, and never have to walk into an immigration-office den again.  Border-bounces every 90-days are a PITA, but looking far "less bad" than locked-up money, repeat visits to immigration, etc.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

Maybe you'd be treated as being on overstay from the day you dropped below the required amount and punished as such. After all, from the moment you drop below the limit, you're living here illegally. Not saying it's fair, just my guess as to immig's reaction.

Exactly - same as marriage or employment based extensions.  Why would they not abuse their power to the maximum extent, to increase the likelihood of a payoff and/or get off on a power-trip?   This may not be the case, but I think it is nuts not to consider it highly probable, given immigration's recent attitude towards us in general.

3 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

so what are they going to do?

Issue arrest warrants?

The same thing they do if an employer reports someone quit to immigration, or a wife reports a divorce?  The only difference is, your employer or ex-wife might not report you to immigration - but they will know if you miss that bank-book appointment, and they can easily tell if you are in the country or not at that time, or when you return, thereafter.

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

but they will know if you miss that bank-book appointment, and they can easily tell if you are in the country or not at that time, or when you return, thereafter.

How will they know if you miss a bank book appointment.  Do you think they have software that will tell them?  

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry but I can tell you with confidence that you have NO IDEA what you're talking about. We already have multiple credible reports from multiple offices of people getting their extensions after March 1 being EXPLICITLY ORDERED to show up at immigration 90 days AFTER to show their bank books.

Scare mongering? Depending on the consequences, perhaps people need to wake up and get more scared. 

Of course, the more facts the better. Maybe it won't be that bad.

But it sounds to me like it will be quite bad if you fail.

Why do I think that?

Because if there aren't serious consequences (guessing again, at least instantly cancelling your annual extension to stay) then why would they be ordering people to come in 90 days AFTER the extension? Not for their health I reckon and certainly not for our health either for the unfortunate ones that have failed bank books. 

Again, does anybody KNOW? I am not expecting that anyone here does. At least yet. 

Yes, i've read about this additional hassle. immigration is making the life of retirees terrible ....

Edited by EricTh

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

How will they know if you miss a bank book appointment.  Do you think they have software that will tell them?  

just checking your status , same way as Airport check when swinging your passport  by the scanner  I guess , and see when you  out or incoming in Thailand 

32 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

How would they know?  If you do a 90 day address report is there a stamp in your passport that says you have been ordered to bring in a bank book?  They can't look at everybody so it must be the honor system that you show them a bank book.

The notice that you have to bring a bank book is just a courtesy to you, not a legal requirement of Immigration.  They can ask you any time you interact with them for any documentation they want on that day.  Look in your passport for a stamp that notifies you that you must bring proof of your address...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

The notice that you have to bring a bank book is just a courtesy to you, not a legal requirement of Immigration.  They can ask you any time you interact with them for any documentation they want on that day.  Look in your passport for a stamp that notifies you that you must bring proof of your address... 

How would they know if you don't report back in 90 days with bank book?

Edited by marcusarelus

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:
10 minutes ago, impulse said:

How would they know if you don't report back in 90 days with bank book?

Eezy peezy.  You have to report every 90 days.  They would just decline any attempt to report where that documentation isn't provided.  (Edit:  I'm not saying that's happening.  Just that it would be a simple policy to implement)

Going one step further, I envision a day when the banks are required to report any expat's account that falls below the required levels.  But that's just a forecast on my part.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

We have no idea what they will do, but if I had one of those notices, I would not ignore it.  They could run an app on anything from an ancient TRS-80 to a cheap android-phone which could remind them who has or has-not reported their money.  Whether or how they will do it?  Only they know.

50 minutes ago, impulse said:

You have to report every 90 days.  They would just decline any attempt to report where that documentation isn't provided.  (Edit:  I'm not saying that's happening.  Just that it would be a simple policy to implement)

You don't have to report if you aren't in the country 90-days continuous.  But when you get back,  you have to report for a TM-30.  They told one person who asked about, "What if I'm not here then," that he had to report on his return.  They can get you one way or the other.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

It's less than 25K AUD.

Current exchange = approx 36,000 AUD. Another 11,000 AUD and not getting better

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Thought the same thing, it's just his opinion, which I happen to agree with. 

I do not believe there's some sinister, anti-farang motive here.  Thai Immigration has been hosed up for a long time, and a certain kind of element is attracted to the permissive environment resulting from this kind of programmatic dysfunction.

Once you let shit run amok for too long, it takes a lot of grit to regain control, and there will be unintended casualties.  I've stepped into operations that were a mess.  Some you can use a scalpel.  Others... yeah.... it was easier and faster to chuck a proverbial grenade in the room, wait for the dust to settle, then start again.

You just described Thailand.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

We have no idea what they will do, but if I had one of those notices, I would not ignore it.  They could run an app on anything from an ancient TRS-80 to a cheap android-phone which could remind them who has or has-not reported their money.  Whether or how they will do it?  Only they know.

You don't have to report if you aren't in the country 90-days continuous.  But when you get back,  you have to report for a TM-30.  They told one person who asked about, "What if I'm not here then," that he had to report on his return.  They can get you one way or the other.

Not at jomtien , if you return no TM30 but only if you stay same address again for ret. ext. holders , I did ask by my return for confirmation , the desk ladys gave me anyway doc. to fill in , I insisted , then the uniformed I.O. (that one with the big diamond ring on hand ..) confirmed my talking .

But anyway your 90 day start again , so sooner or later we must passing there anyway ...

12 hours ago, Grusa said:

Also IMO he is wrong - I don't know how he is forming these opinions based on the evidence we have. IMO if you do not have 800k at 3 month check you will not have met the conditions of the visa extension, and thus it will be revoked, at that date, but IMO not retroactively - i.e. not on overstay. Similarly if you go below the 400k you have not met conditions so not only will you not be granted a new extension but likely have your visa revoked on the day you show up. On revocation you can leave that day or pay Bt1900 for a 7 day extension IMO.

Take it or leave it, but I have been dealing with WP/Visa issues for more than 20years and have seen the changes since Penang stopped issuing back to back visas in the days when there were people were living here for 10+ years doing that.

12 hours ago, grifbel said:

Not sure what all the drama in the OP's post is.  If failing to meeting the funds for whatever reason, could you not fly to Penang, get a single non-imm O at renewal expiration time, and then restart the process?  Or am I missing something?  Seems like much ado about nothing, unless the 1-2000 baht plane ticket is too much!

One would hope you could but they are implementing 'fortress Thailand' as far as year round stay goes. You may not be able to get an appointment if MFA accesses IM database and IM has this flagged as a denial of entry criteria. IMO not being able to start again would be very harsh but don't forget you applied for extension on certain terms and were subsequently seen to not have adhered to those terms.

If you went below 800k because of a Bt200 bank card fee you had forgotten to anticipate my guess is you would be able to restart process - if you had 0 when you should have 800k - especially if you failed to turn up and they came to your house then IMO I doubt it