Feeling 'eyed' by Thailand and what I'm planning on doing about it

Gecko123

1 hour ago, Muzarella said:

For West Coast Americans, retirement in Mexico is a great option. Oaxaca, Guadalajara, Cancun, Veracruz, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, and similar beautiful areas are just a few hours fly to USA destinations, the living costs now similar to Thailand, with easy immigration rules and services, and affordable health insurance for foreigners. If my Thai wife was willing to move there, no doubts I will move now with 10 pesos for a dollar and real estate in its lower value ever.

It's 19 pesos to the dollar.

Veracruz? I don't think so.

Welcome to this thread --

Edited by Jingthing

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

So you are praying for a bubble to burst which will have millions people affected with many of them, no doubt losing their homes just because you decided to live your life in Thailand while others have actually stayed and contributed?

Yea, that's really nice of you. It makes you look like a really nice guy.

Remember how the bubble was created and who benefitted in the long run. Bubbles are always a form of financial manipulation and always eventually burst. Read some economic history. 

Many of the people who bought homes weren't qualified for such a big loan. Others had unexpected major life changes, but not the majority. Same bubble in car loans now in America. 

Cheap money helps fund bigger guv deficits and benefits the banks. The borrowers always get the shaft. 

Most of the folks you mourn for crated their own dilemma by reaching for things they couldn't really afford. Witness the huge credit card debt level now. 

Cheap money has only delayed and exacerbated the inevitable. 

If you consume more than you produce the end state will not be pretty, for individuals, companies, and countries. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If I were you, I would start the SSA immediately, without delay. There is no guarantee you'll even see age 70. Lots of people die before seeing a penny from SSA.

Thank you for your advice. In my case, I am not very concerned about getting my money's worth out of social security. For one thing, I have three siblings who were on SS disability from early adulthood, so from the standpoint of the overall benefit received by my family, if I never collected a dime, that would be OK with me.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Thank you for your advice. In my case, I am not very concerned about getting my money's worth out of social security. For one thing, I have three siblings who were on SS disability from early adulthood, so from the standpoint of the overall benefit received by my family, if I never collected a dime, that would be OK with me.

The decision about when to start an old age U.S. social security claim (early, full retirement age, or later) is a very personal decision, assuming people are making the decision based on what age makes the most sense for their personal financial situation. There are many factors that go into the decision. Statistics show the majority do start the claim at the earliest possible age, but only a subset of those people probably should have.

This is a topic well discussed before on the Home Country Forum. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sanmyn said:

Hi..I live in a small friendly town called Naklua, an offset to Pattaya.

I have lived here over 20 years, single and retired from San Francisco. I speak little Thai but am welcomed by everyone; lots of smiles.

Being close to Pattaya, I share good medical care, hospitals and excellent food outlets. My condo, which I bought 12 years ago, is on the beachfront with a fabulous view, 10 floors, 2 to a floor. 

Most of my neighbors live in Bangkok and only come once or twice a year. I have kept my SF residence but rarely ever go back. 

Weather here is perfect for an older person, food is light and healthy, and the cost of living is about half of San Francisco. 

Why, aside from family, would I ever want to go back? 

Sure, you need some cash to live here. The Kingdom does not want to pay your medical bills. Keeping 800K in a Thai Bank insures a trouble free immigration. 

Overall, the freedom you enjoy here with little traffic enforcement allows a carefree existance. I drive slowly and carefully and have never had a motoring incident. And I am 83. 

For those seeking to retire and live a happy, low expense existance, I could not be happier living in LOS.

Gary H

very honest,realistic post.. i wish you well, over the next 10yrs or so.....

im a few yrs younger, but expect to live a similar life.

i will always keep my options open--can return to nz anytime, if i get sick or whatever, but i can also afford to pay a qualified, live-in nurse to take care of me, if i deteriorate too much..

at 83 what do you do to keep healthy and fully occupied ?  do you go to bars or have lady friends ?

17 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

After having lived in Thailand for 16 years, I don't think I could transistion to another country without recharging my batteries back in the States for a while.

Perhaps you should look at things in another way after being here for so long, i.e. recognise that the Thai's and the Thai government only tolerate farangs because of their money, i.e. it contributes to their economy, we are foreigners, farangs, according to Google:  

Farang is slang commonly used as an insult to a person of white race, whose is either rude, or having extremely bad manners, or is poor.

So at least that way you know up front what your worth is to the Thai's and accept it.

Don't expect them to be on your level, their education and cultural differences doesn't allow for it, so the above out of the way, perhaps you should also look at relocating to another part of Thailand, maybe even consider taking on a partner, be it temporary or permanent, growing old and alone is not something I ever thought of, but after having remarried later in my years, I couldn't see myself ever growing old alone.

Going back to the US after so many years will be a real shocker for you, I am in rural Thailand, amongst the peasants as one farang said to me, a term I do not like, so as you see, it's a two way street, and when I return to Sydney once a year for a week, I cannot wait to get the hell out of there, skyscrapers, traffic, and people in their droves, everyone in a hurry, to think I used to be like that once upon a time, no thanks, never again.

Maybe your just having a bad day, a change in mood, some drink, others have hobbies, seek and ye shall find as the saying goes.

Good luck anyways, we are all going to the same place, wherever that is ????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, j8k said:

Thais hate foreigners, always have, always will. I am getting out before its too late.

Hate is a STRONG word, tolerate would be best used, HATE is what happened in NZ the other day, Thai's tolerate, that is their culture is you know anything about them. Safe travels ????

• Like 2

17 hours ago, j8k said:

Thais hate foreigners, always have, always will. I am getting out before its too late.

My my, I thought posting anything negative about Thais has been forbidden by Article 11 of this rather undemocratic board.

1 hour ago, sanmyn said:

Hi..I live in a small friendly town called Naklua, an offset to Pattaya.

I have lived here over 20 years, single and retired from San Francisco. I speak little Thai but am welcomed by everyone; lots of smiles.

Being close to Pattaya, I share good medical care, hospitals and excellent food outlets. My condo, which I bought 12 years ago, is on the beachfront with a fabulous view, 10 floors, 2 to a floor. 

Most of my neighbors live in Bangkok and only come once or twice a year. I have kept my SF residence but rarely ever go back. 

Weather here is perfect for an older person, food is light and healthy, and the cost of living is about half of San Francisco. 

Why, aside from family, would I ever want to go back? 

Sure, you need some cash to live here. The Kingdom does not want to pay your medical bills. Keeping 800K in a Thai Bank insures a trouble free immigration. 

Overall, the freedom you enjoy here with little traffic enforcement allows a carefree existance. I drive slowly and carefully and have never had a motoring incident. And I am 83. 

For those seeking to retire and live a happy, low expense existance, I could not be happier living in LOS.

Gary H

Great spot, spent a week there last year, village type atmosphere from the old country, e.g. Balmain NSW Australia, could live there quite easily, especially with water views from an apartment.

Good story for a change. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Banana7 said:

If I were you, I would start the SSA immediately, without delay. There is no guarantee you'll even see age 70. Lots of people die before seeing a penny from SSA.

Next, move to a city in Thailand away from the village. Most cities have pretty good hospitals. Even consider buying a condo in Pattaya. Pattaya has some good hospitals. Condo living is pretty good, most have at least one restaurant, laundry services, personal unit cleaning services, a pool. You'll make lots of friends in Pattaya.

Jomtien immigration is friendly and generally OK. Pattaya is also close to BKK airport if you need to get a flight out quickly.

Great post and I totally agree with everything you said.  The OP might be far happier in a city like Pattaya with people from everywhere.  I started in Rayong and always felt like the local Thais were staring at me--usually I was the only farang at Home Pro or Index.  When my partner and I moved to Pattaya suddenly I was no longer a curiosity.  Lots of support services, great hospitals, wide range of condos to either rent or buy, restaurants galore, great shopping choices, movies, recreation...  Maybe give it some consideration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soistalker said:

Thais get nastier and more aggressive each year. You can be ripped off by random police officers waving you over to a desk that looks like a lemonade stand to ask you, "How mut you gib me?" And everyone wants to cheat you.

Sounds like you're stalking the sois too much. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

Great post and I totally agree with everything you said.  The OP might be far happier in a city like Pattaya with people from everywhere.  I started in Rayong and always felt like the local Thais were staring at me--usually I was the only farang at Home Pro or Index.  When my partner and I moved to Pattaya suddenly I was no longer a curiosity.  Lots of support services, great hospitals, wide range of condos to either rent or buy, restaurants galore, great shopping choices, movies, recreation...  Maybe give it some consideration.

I made a decision early in life to generally disregard what people thought of me. A jewel of wisdom from my mother. 

I personally don't care if people stare at me.

I Do care what my Lady, her family, and my neighbors think of me. I have earned their respect and value it. 

Strangers are, well, strangers. Why would I care?

A possible upside to being an 'unknown' to people is that they generally approach you with caution. Works for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1