Further inquiries needed on Songkran booze ban

webfact

Typical Thai shortsightedness. There is SOOOOO much more money in proper driver training then upholding the road laws. Would that mean the BiB would have to get off their well padded derrieres to enforce the laws? YES! Are they gonna do it?

• Like 1

I think the most accidents will happen the two days before and after songkran when everyone is on the way home or back...

However, at the end of the day they can blame the problem on a foreigner, the guy who turned water to wine and leaked the recipe to a Thai.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

They can, maybe, ban sales during Songkran, but as far as consumption goes, there are two hopes of stopping that.......................................... Bob Hope and NO Hope ! 

Two chances - fat and slim ????

• Haha 1

Agree with pretty much every comment made so far. This idea seems to be wheeled out every year or so and never comes to anything.

Stupid idea anyway as the only way things will  change is through better education better driver training tougher driver testing and MUCH better policing. 

Why do they insist on these constant peeing in the wind attempts at reducing the carnage on the roads, do something that may take some time but will eventually work.

As an aside I live in a rural Isan town and Songkran is way quieter now than a few years ago the road blocks with drunken teens molesting girls on motorbikes has pretty much gone and most water throwing is by young kids. I put this down to lack of funds and more teens working away from home than any government measures to stop drinking.

• Like 1

Another smoke and mirrors suggestion by the people who are in charge that don't have any chance of passing even if it does then you got what you always had no enforcement.

The problem is much bigger than during Songkran if it was recognized that would be a start to solve it to a reasonable level.  It is a culture problem Songkran is the time when they celebrate this problem which creates a lot of other problems they themselves in the past have used Section 44 to try to correct!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The idea of forbidding consumption of alcohol during the festival was an attempt by the authorities to reduce the soaring number of road accidents.

By the way, if you look at the actual statistics, I believe you'll find that the traffic fatalities are lower during the holidays (Sonkran, New Years, Loi Kraton) then during any given average non-holiday day.  So now what?  Why not ban alcohol permanently in Thailand.  Make it a dry country.  That will take care of the problem.  And if people keep drinking - build more jails. 
No booze, no drugs, heck, ban sex too.  Maybe you can bypass the USA as the incarceration capital of the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

They appear unprepared, untrained, unwilling, incapable and disinterested in mobile traffic patrols. 

I have to ask you a question, well actuallt two, how long have you been here and how many times have you seen a police car on the road patrolling and pulling someone over. They do not train for this nor is part of their culture. Stop expecting to see something happening that has never happened and never will

9 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I have to ask you a question, well actuallt two, how long have you been here and how many times have you seen a police car on the road patrolling and pulling someone over. They do not train for this nor is part of their culture. Stop expecting to see something happening that has never happened and never will

actually it does happen and i've witnessed it a few times. however its rare for, as my thai friend's explained, the police are loath to enter into blind confrontations

not paid for that level of danger i guess!

Edited by GeorgeCross
typo

5 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

They can, maybe, ban sales during Songkran, but as far as consumption goes, there are two hopes of stopping that.......................................... Bob Hope and NO Hope ! 

Exactly, no hope until they get real and change the traffic behaviour, the new government could easily do this from previous knowledge and use attitude adjustment camps.

They could use the whole of Thailand as the area for the camp.

Is there really no limit to their stupidity. Ban sales during Songkran, so people will simply buy before Songkran. You have to be a special kind of stupid to not realise that is what people will do. These 'officials' seem to have the mind of a three-year-old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregsmithy said:

Why do they insist on these constant peeing in the wind attempts at reducing the carnage on the roads, do something that may take some time but will eventually work.

You don't understand the Thai mentality. They can appear to be concerned and to be doing something when all they are actually doing is nothing at all. Saying something is not the same as doing something, which is too much effort. But then the authorities can say that they tried. Their conscience is clear, while the people do what they always do when such stupid declarations are made - they ignore them.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, moe666 said:

We're just back from UK, yearly reality check, and my wife made comment on the number of police cars on the motorways and in general around the roads.

In addition she mentioned how much more relaxed she felt travelling by road in the UK. 

Yes you do see the idiots now and then but most times you also see them pulled over 10 miles further on.

PS.

Road works are a nightmare on the M5, down to 1 (one) lane in a couple of places.

• Like 2