How Far Back Can You Remember In Your Life?

Can you name almost every child who was in your class when you started school at five years old?

I remember being not well and my mother putting me in my younger brothers pram to take me home

when I was about three years old.

I can name the biggest majority, if not all, the kids who were in my class when I started school, can you?

I’m FB friends with a couple of friends I went to school with ( and have known since age 4 ) so via conversations with them I remember the names of other kids in my class. Although I doubt if I would remember if it were not for them.

Some of my earliest memories are probably based on photos my father took and tend to confuse my memory banks.
I can certainly remember many things from my primary school days ( 4 till 11 ) but not sure as to my earliest memory .

One of my earliest was probably getting a big plastic cannon for Christmas that shot out cannon ball sized plastic balls ( probably only tennis ball size but to my childs eyes !! ) was maybe 4 or 5 years old.

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Early memories can often be from events that were a shock, surprise, great pleasure etc.

My earliest memory is from when I was about 3 years old.  My mother was sick in bed with severe chicken pox.  I went into our garden and found a dead mouse on the ground.  Thinking that it might cheer my mum, up, I picked it up by the tail and went up to my mum's bedroom where she was lying in bed, eyes closed and moaning.

I waved the dead mouse inches from her face and said 'Mommy, look what I found'.  Slowly she opened her eyes, then focussed on the dead mouse, then screamed like mad.  Shocked and frightened, I dropped the dead mouse on her face.....

Dis that help her recover from chicken pox? Shock therapy?

• Haha 2

My Mother and her mother were taking me in my pram to St Kilda beach. they managed to get the pram jammed between a curbside sewer vent pipe and a corregated iron fence, I was sitting up in the pram and holding the top when my fingers were jammed between the pram.pipe and fence. Probable age 3. Many country train rides with the last being Melbourne to Sydney had to change trains in Albury due to different guage track aged 4 At this time my father enlisted in the AIF 1941 and shipped to Middle East WW2

31 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Actual memories being what you can genuinely recall, and referred memories which are what others (family or friends) have told you and you then remember them as your own.

People often mix them up as you get older.

For me, cant go back beyond junior school about age 8. Any odd things beyond that I guess are referred from family.

That's interesting Charlie, it would be interesting to read what other posters first memory of school was.

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm 74, I have typical short-term memory loss but lot's of very old memories come back when 'prompted' (and some I would prefer to forget).

But can you actually remember your first day at school without being 'prompted'?

27 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Early memories can often be from events that were a shock, surprise, great pleasure etc.

My earliest memory is from when I was about 3 years old.  My mother was sick in bed with severe chicken pox.  I went into our garden and found a dead mouse on the ground.  Thinking that it might cheer my mum, up, I picked it up by the tail and went up to my mum's bedroom where she was lying in bed, eyes closed and moaning.

I waved the dead mouse inches from her face and said 'Mommy, look what I found'.  Slowly she opened her eyes, then focussed on the dead mouse, then screamed like mad.  Shocked and frightened, I dropped the dead mouse on her face.....

Maybe you were just dreaming ????. As i said in the OP I remember my mother pushing me in a pram when I was three years old.

One of my earliest memories was around age 8, getting all my sums wrong, well, what I did was right, but not the same sums as on the board and the rest of the class ????, the teacher was telling me nicely I needed spectacles !!  Worn them ever since.

• Like 2

I can remember some events from when I was young but mostly I don't remember when (which year) they happened.

I.e. I remember a holiday with my parents to Tunesia when I was 7 years old. But if you ask me where I was on holiday when I was 8 or 9 years old I don't remember.

And then there is of course the question if we remember things correctly or not. Some time ago someone asked me about some business activity from about 15 years ago. I remembered that they gave me some specifications and then I worked with those. Then later I found some emails which I kept from that time and I found out that I gave them the details I needed and not the other way around. I am sure there are many events which we think we remember but in reality they happened not in the way we remember...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

About age 5. I recall corpulent female relatives smothering me with kisses and saying I was cute enough to eat.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, that's a good one, I remember that as well - without the age. And I remember when I was tall enough that all those old females couldn't do that anymore. I guess in MeToo times I should sue my great-grandmothers for such behavior.

I can remember my dad serving me baked beans. I asked him where mummy was and he said she'd gone to the hospital to have a baby. I would've been 3 years and 2 months old at the time.  

One day wen I was 6 or 7 everyone at school was taken into an enormous room. At the front of the room was a giant screen. Then they cut the lights and started playing something called a movie. The next 90 minutes or so were the most magical of my life. The move was the Wizard of Oz. 

37 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

But can you actually remember your first day at school without being 'prompted'?

Broadoak Infants School, Ashton-under-Lyne, 5th Sept 1952. New headmistress, Miss Tegg started the same day. I was almost 5.

First teacher Miss Ashton, and my first taste of cocoa.

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

I can remember a bit of a laugh now...Think it was 1954....We had a guest piano player at infants school.....She asked...."Is there something you would like me to play"

Trans answered..."The Dam Busters"

I got a....????....look.....

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

How Far Back Can You Remember In Your Life?

My first memory was before school it was when I was around 2 months old laying in a pram with the hood up, l remember because I didn't like it.