Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

1 minute ago, joboss said:

Haha!!   You gotta be happy that he will have to wipe his arse with his left hand for a week or so.   Or is it his right?  Looked like he hurt his right collarbone to me.

Who cares if the useless pricks arse gets flyblown.  He wouldn't get a game at Melbourne never mind any other club.  Good thing is the Saints are looking for a key forward in this year's draft as they stated a key forward is their priority this year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joboss said:

Haha!!   You gotta be happy that he will have to wipe his arse with his left hand for a week or so.   Or is it his right?  Looked like he hurt his right collarbone to me.  Maybe you would be happy if he just flushed himself down the dunny.

Know our luck if he did flush himself the bowl will be blocked and we will be stuck with the retarded prick.  Wouldn't even make decent fertiliser   there wouldn't even be a single club in the AFL that would take him as a rookie

Edited by Thechook
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Most of the shows are available online.

One website in particular has all of the games, plus radio broadcasts, Fox Footy shows etc.

If you're interested, let me know via PM.

I agree, those living back in Oz have an unfair advantage:P

Dunno about calling it "unfair advantage" after all ,in a season of over 200 games ,the win differential between first and eighth is only a handful.

7 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Know our luck if he did flush himself the bowl will be blocked and we will be stuck with the retarded prick.  Wouldn't even make decent fertiliser   there wouldn't even be a single club in the AFL that would take him as a rookie

Glass half full,,,  Saint Chook.

Saints flog Brisbane 40+ points

GWS beat the Roo’s by 26+

18 minutes ago, Thechook said:

C;mon chook, dont hold back,get it all off your chest.:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Most of the shows are available online.

One website in particular has all of the games, plus radio broadcasts, Fox Footy shows etc.

If you're interested, let me know via PM.

I agree, those living back in Oz have an unfair advantage:P

1 hour ago, ozzydom said:

With one round to go, Will is odds on to stay in the lead but the minor placings are still open with at least three games which are a bit of a lottery.

I am a bit curious about which of the tipster team are currently resident in OZ.

Since Aunty Aus Network closed shop we locals have  to rely on the AFL website for virtually any Aussie Rules news.whereas the Oz residents are inundated with press and TV shows.

Please do not construe this as sour grapes ,just curiosity.:)

I have been in both places this season...Started the season here...then OZ...and now here again

I can get all the AFL360, On the couch, open mike, Bounce, footy show (never watch it) on Youtube.  
You can be a member of a torrent downloading site that has every TV show, match replays and some radio shows. KhunWill has details if u are interested...

You can access Herald sun/news limited articles without having to subscribe...same for fairfax articles

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

Let's hope wise heads prevail.

Last-minute talks for Swans to host SCG finals

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/lastminute-talks-for-swans-to-host-scg-finals

I hope so.

What type of advantage is it playing on a ground you havent played all season???

The Hawks are more suited to that ground and would be mre than chuffed to be playing us there and not the SCG

• Like 2

Continuing the Eddie Betts theme, has anyone noticed the Thai tattoo on his right arm?     I magnified the below image, but the script loses its clarity as it becomes pixelated.

I think it reads  เสล่า รูชื่  (selar ruchue or something like that).     I have no idea what that means in Thai or English.   Anyone?

1442318434117.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Radar501 said:

Continuing the Eddie Betts theme, has anyone noticed the Thai tattoo on his right arm?     I magnified the below image, but the script loses its clarity as it becomes pixelated.

I think it reads  เสล่า รูชื่  (selar ruchue or something like that).     I have no idea what that means in Thai or English.   Anyone?

1442318434117.jpg

My wife tells me it's Selah Lewis or similar roughly translated means forever Lewis. 

• Like 2

sydneyswans.com.au/news/2016-08-23/sydney-swans-land-a-new-partner-

Wonder if Fitzpatrick will be giving Pridham an expletive laden call after not receiving a free upgrade to first class :P

Just as long as Qatar isn't expecting the naming rights to thd SCG, this could be the start of a beautiful relationship. 

• Like 1

MRP "justifying" their ruling.

Michael Christian says initial contact to Scott Lycett’s shoulder saved Jordan Lewis from suspension

JORDAN Lewis’ fist “glancing” off Scott Lycett’s shoulder is to thank for potentially saving him from suspension, match review panel member Michael Christian says.

Christian says the incident was discussed at length at Monday’s MRP session, and despite calls Lewis should have been sidelined for the action, stands by the call that the force was below that of a reportable offence.

“The Lewis one was an interesting one, because it involved Lewis hitting Lycett on the shoulder — the contact was made and the force of the blow was in the shoulder,” Christian explained on Tuesday.

“It (deviated) to the ... side of the jaw. The force was to the shoulder initially, and with whatever — whether it was sweat — it glanced off that and then into his neck.”

Christian said attempting parallels between the Lewis incident and that of Cats star Tom Hawkins — who was suspended for one match for striking Giant Phil Davis in Round 11 — is off the mark.

“At the end of the day, comparing that to Hawkins — Hawkins was a direct punch to the chin, whereas this one was a punch to the shoulder which brushed off the shoulder and did make some contact to the neck,” Christian said on RSN.

“But in terms of determining whether there was enough impact, yeah we did talk about it for a while, but we decided that it was just below the bar in terms of enough impact to constitute

a reportable offence. Certainly the medical report from Scott Lycett would justify that call. “If the contact had been made directly to the head, then it would have been, potentially, a different story.”

Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton said on Monday night “that stuff has got to stop”.

“I’d call ‘Lewy’ a mate of mine and I’m glad he got off, but that stuff has got to stop,” he said on SEN.

“He’s gone to punch him and he did punch him in the shoulder first, it glanced off and went onto his throat.

“I just want to see people penalised for clenching their fist and do anything that is not inside the rules of the game.”

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BookMan said:

Oh lord above!! Alex doing comedy this week!!

There is a massive advantage to a home ground...you only have to look at regular season stats to see that. Things don't magically change come finals time.

The VFL expanded to become the AFL sure, but it is still supporter driven and revenue driven...both of those are linked. With almost half the comp now outside Victoria that is a lot of supporters outside Victoria.
Once the sour taste of Victorian entitlement permeates enough taste buds there will be groundswell for a fair venue for a GF, rightly advantaging the team who was most successful in the home and away.  

Sure, you can hang on to the past and some traditions, but I would say the VFL tradition started anew with the AFL...and lets face it, traditions are constantly being created and tweaked...traditions are not fixed and immovable objects...  'The showdown' in Adelaide and the Perth Derby....Two recent and now highly popular games each year...

Get real....Home ground advantage dont mean much if your an average team, pretty simple maths really is that you need to win more games than everyone else to finish top, even in the old days of the suburban bunkers around old Melbourne town counted for little, even one time the sprinklers came on during a game...lot of ho harr over that when i think the Hawks had the run of the game....Windy Hill was just that as was the Western oval...you would get a 10 goal gail blowing towards one goal and lets not forget Chooks mud patch at Moorabbin seemed to be under water all week then bingo it was ready for a game on saturday, didnt do the Saint smuch good nor did Footscray get the Advantage of the gail blowing down ground...

Maybe the stats do show a win is more favorable to a home club this year, ie WCE, Crows, Sydney are all high in the 8, home ground advantage had little impact on Freo or Brisbane, Port were there for a while.... Like my accountant he can make me look like a beggar at tax time and a corporate high flyer when approaching a bank for a loan....stats in a lot of cases can be taken with a grain of salt.....kid....

Not sure what your on about with the comments on traditions though im glad to see you accept that the AFL is the name of the VFL with expanded teams that just happen to be in other states, the ratio is 10 victorian teams to  8 in the rest of the country,  and you also need to understand that most of the revenue that comes into each club and the AFL is from corporate  you will find what the average jo (and no puns to you JoBlow) actually spends/contributes is pretty much peanuts, your dreaming if you think that turning up at the gates buy a ticket for $22 or what ever it is these days is giving you a voice.

The AFL dont really care if you go to a game Bookman, they prefer to get you as  a stat when ratings are counted for Friday Saturday and Sunday games, they make there moula $$$$$ on TV rights, they and the clubs make money from TOYOTA and other multi national companies wanting to be associated with the AFL in ground naming rights etc etc....

In time and i dont think its unfair but not in our life time gentlemen the grand final will leave Victoria, other capital cities will need a venue big enough to fit in all them freeloaders who work for companies that contribute 75% of the revenue to keep the game going.......yes mate business keeps the game going not your little ass on a plastic seat at the SCG.

14 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

Get real....Home ground advantage dont mean much if your an average team, pretty simple maths really is that you need to win more games than everyone else to finish top, even in the old days of the suburban bunkers around old Melbourne town counted for little, even one time the sprinklers came on during a game...lot of ho harr over that when i think the Hawks had the run of the game....Windy Hill was just that as was the Western oval...you would get a 10 goal gail blowing towards one goal and lets not forget Chooks mud patch at Moorabbin seemed to be under water all week then bingo it was ready for a game on saturday, didnt do the Saint smuch good nor did Footscray get the Advantage of the gail blowing down ground...

Maybe the stats do show a win is more favorable to a home club this year, ie WCE, Crows, Sydney are all high in the 8, home ground advantage had little impact on Freo or Brisbane, Port were there for a while.... Like my accountant he can make me look like a beggar at tax time and a corporate high flyer when approaching a bank for a loan....stats in a lot of cases can be taken with a grain of salt.....kid....

Not sure what your on about with the comments on traditions though im glad to see you accept that the AFL is the name of the VFL with expanded teams that just happen to be in other states, the ratio is 10 victorian teams to  8 in the rest of the country,  and you also need to understand that most of the revenue that comes into each club and the AFL is from corporate  you will find what the average jo (and no puns to you JoBlow) actually spends/contributes is pretty much peanuts, your dreaming if you think that turning up at the gates buy a ticket for $22 or what ever it is these days is giving you a voice.

The AFL dont really care if you go to a game Bookman, they prefer to get you as  a stat when ratings are counted for Friday Saturday and Sunday games, they make there moula $$$$$ on TV rights, they and the clubs make money from TOYOTA and other multi national companies wanting to be associated with the AFL in ground naming rights etc etc....

In time and i dont think its unfair but not in our life time gentlemen the grand final will leave Victoria, other capital cities will need a venue big enough to fit in all them freeloaders who work for companies that contribute 75% of the revenue to keep the game going.......yes mate business keeps the game going not your little ass on a plastic seat at the SCG.

I can see you are starting to agree with my thoughts Alex: that the current system is grossly unfair and the GF will and should leave the MCG in future.

The power of the public in relation to the AFL is media rating and public perception. The AFL absolutely needs a national competition to generate the revenue it generates...Corporate sponsors demand the national stage.
Where they might not care about if I go to a game, they do 100% care about if i watch it on TV or how, as a group, thousands, hundreds of thousands of fans feel.

For example. Let's say West Coast finishes top of the H&A season for 3 years running..Each year they make the GF and have to travel to the MCG to play a Melbourne based team that finished 3rd or 4th or 5th and has a good record at the MCG...They lose the first 2 GFs...because they are playing away from home..despite finishing top of the table..
A public campaign is started by supporters targeting the major AFL sponsor...'Toyota only love Melbourne'...'Toyota treats us with contempt...'Toyota & afl rig the game..shame!'
You get the point Alex... A campaign like that would change things almost overnight.... There are many ways the campaign can and will take hold, but the most successful will be by targeting the source of $$$

Do you think ANY corporate sponsor will want to support a system that alienates half the supporters and ALL the interstate viewers?
No mate....they wont... And 'big cheesey fake smile Gil Mclahlan' better start to get visions of grandeur out of his mind and start thinking fair and equitable playing field

• Like 2

The reigning Brownlow Medallist confirmed his commitment to Fremantle on Monday.

Midfielder Nat Fyfe has dispelled speculation that he would leave Fremantle and move to another club.

The reigning Brownlow Medallist confirmed his commitment to Fremantle on Monday, saying his manager Jason Dover would enter into contract discussions with the club to finalise an extension at the appropriate time.

“I don’t want there to be any doubt that I see my future here at the Fremantle Dockers,” Fyfe said.

“We have a strong plan in place, with good people…and recent reports that I would consider a trade at the end of the season are completely false.

“My focus at the moment is firmly on getting my rehab right and getting back to playing my best footy, which I’m really excited about doing.

“I begin running in a couple of weeks and look to play round one next year, as well as driving a standard around the club and continuing to be the leader that I’ve been elected to be.

“My manager, Jason Dover, remains in constant communication with the club and we’ll get something sorted at the right time next year.

“At the moment though, all my focus is firmly on getting my leg right and getting back to playing my best footy.”

Fremantle CEO Steve Rosich said Fyfe’s comments would quell recent external speculation about his playing future.

“Nat’s comments today confirming his commitment to the Fremantle Dockers are welcomed by the club but come as no surprise to us,” Rosich said.

“Nat, who has always shown a strong commitment to Fremantle, is an outstanding player, a quality person and a great leader.

“His comments today should also put an end to recent external speculation that the club would consider trading Nat to another club at the end of the season, which is not something we would entertain.”

Fyfe also called on Fremantle members and supporters to pack Domain Stadium on Sunday for Matthew Pavlich’s 353rd and final game for the club on Sunday.

“It’s a massive week for the club and for Matthew Pavlich,” Fyfe said.

“Such a superstar of the game and a really good reason to celebrate everything that’s right in football and the contribution that Pav’s made to Freo and the AFL.

“So hopefully we can get a full stadium and hopefully some of the guys that have played with Pav along his journey can pull on the jumper alongside him.

“I’m devastated I won’t be out there, but I will be supporting him.”

3 hours ago, BookMan said:

I can see you are starting to agree with my thoughts Alex: that the current system is grossly unfair and the GF will and should leave the MCG in future.

The power of the public in relation to the AFL is media rating and public perception. The AFL absolutely needs a national competition to generate the revenue it generates...Corporate sponsors demand the national stage.
Where they might not care about if I go to a game, they do 100% care about if i watch it on TV or how, as a group, thousands, hundreds of thousands of fans feel.

For example. Let's say West Coast finishes top of the H&A season for 3 years running..Each year they make the GF and have to travel to the MCG to play a Melbourne based team that finished 3rd or 4th or 5th and has a good record at the MCG...They lose the first 2 GFs...because they are playing away from home..despite finishing top of the table..
A public campaign is started by supporters targeting the major AFL sponsor...'Toyota only love Melbourne'...'Toyota treats us with contempt...'Toyota & afl rig the game..shame!'
You get the point Alex... A campaign like that would change things almost overnight.... There are many ways the campaign can and will take hold, but the most successful will be by targeting the source of $$$

Do you think ANY corporate sponsor will want to support a system that alienates half the supporters and ALL the interstate viewers?
No mate....they wont... And 'big cheesey fake smile Gil Mclahlan' better start to get visions of grandeur out of his mind and start thinking fair and equitable playing field

I do not agree with your thoughts BOOKMAN.....even as OLD CROC  pointed out that us Vics have a low IQ compared to the rest of the nation we have enough mushy stuff up top to think a few things through....

The AFL play lip service to the Fans, like smart customer relations staff they make the average fan think he is important, telling them what they want to hear then going off and doing what ever they want.

We have a national competition that is an expanded VFL later renamed AFL for marketing purposes us dummies here in cold Victoria managed to have the best football comp going, the reality is no other city outside of Sydney has the capacity to to pack in 30,000 football fans and 70,000 freeloaders.

All here that have spoke up in regards to moving the grand final are supporters of expansion teams and are caught up in the emotions of possibly playing a team like Hawthorn in the grand final, only Chooks and i have spoken sense, the state of Victoria does it better than anyone else at present when it comes to hosting events, we have all the major international events hosted here in Melbourne, we have the score on the board in that regard there is also a lease signed by the AFL in regards to where the GF will be played and that was part of the rights to use the MCG for home and away games, sure there is a case for the eventual relocation of the GF, it has nothing to do with the fact that the AFL is the VFL in stealth  (thank you croc for pointing out how dumb us vics are) but it aint going to be in our life time, Perth and the other cities will need to upgrade there facilities to be able to cope with 100,000 people for just that one day.

So you see my Bookman your argument on the corporate sector doesnt hold any water at present because its so entrenched that they go to the MCG last day in september, the G has been home to the Grand Final since 1902 its become the biggest sporting event in Australia, it is a tradition, the game will need a lot more evolving before it gets relocated, not out of the question but highly unlikely in your life time kid.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

I do not agree with your thoughts BOOKMAN.....even as OLD CROC  pointed out that us Vics have a low IQ compared to the rest of the nation we have enough mushy stuff up top to think a few things through....

The AFL play lip service to the Fans, like smart customer relations staff they make the average fan think he is important, telling them what they want to hear then going off and doing what ever they want.

We have a national competition that is an expanded VFL later renamed AFL for marketing purposes us dummies here in cold Victoria managed to have the best football comp going, the reality is no other city outside of Sydney has the capacity to to pack in 30,000 football fans and 70,000 freeloaders.

All here that have spoke up in regards to moving the grand final are supporters of expansion teams and are caught up in the emotions of possibly playing a team like Hawthorn in the grand final, only Chooks and i have spoken sense, the state of Victoria does it better than anyone else at present when it comes to hosting events, we have all the major international events hosted here in Melbourne, we have the score on the board in that regard there is also a lease signed by the AFL in regards to where the GF will be played and that was part of the rights to use the MCG for home and away games, sure there is a case for the eventual relocation of the GF, it has nothing to do with the fact that the AFL is the VFL in stealth  (thank you croc for pointing out how dumb us vics are) but it aint going to be in our life time, Perth and the other cities will need to upgrade there facilities to be able to cope with 100,000 people for just that one day.

So you see my Bookman your argument on the corporate sector doesnt hold any water at present because its so entrenched that they go to the MCG last day in september, the G has been home to the Grand Final since 1902 its become the biggest sporting event in Australia, it is a tradition, the game will need a lot more evolving before it gets relocated, not out of the question but highly unlikely in your life time kid.  

Yes, we agree the AFL has a certain arrogance about  it. This years bye round at the end of the season. Not wanted by any club but pursued b the AFL
Mid season trading...Not wanted by any club but Smirking Gil wants it....

But this is also changing....Social media traverses us into unknown ground and the AFL can try and control the message but they can't really...

But ...

and this is what you have to realise Alex...
*What happened in the past is not relevant to the future in this case . 
*Who has the biggest dick...sorry, i mean largest ground capacity is not relevant to the argument. 50,000 capacity is more than enough for a home team.
* it is impossible to say of Victoria would host the best GF....because no other state has handled on. This is a fallacious argument. It's an argument that has been used since the LA olympics...about who can host the best Olympics...Every year there has been improvement sin the spectacle because every 4 years someone else tries it with FRESH ideas...
* Sporting traditions are fluid....they constantly evolve, as does life and people's attitudes. Its not 1950 anymore.

• Like 2

Using the Olympics is probably not the best analogy for comparison - perhaps in theory it is, but in practicality since Sydney, it's been a bit of a shit show. 2004 Athens, 2008 Beijing, 2012 London (probably the exception) & last week's poor man's carnivale in Rio. Using the Olympics probably supports AlexRRR's argument.

Melbourne's not the best, it's jut got the infrastructure to be able to support such events. Sydney has the infrastructure but it's such a convoluted abomination of fuckuppery that it's no wonder Melbourne holds onto the big ticket events. Adelaide in 10-20 years time will be the new Melbourne.

I’m no ladder expert,

Am I right to think that it doesn’t really matter if the Weagles win or lose against the Crows on Friday night.

They will still end up 6th or 7th so will more than likely play the Dogs in the qualifying finals.??

With that in mind I may give Sam Jacobs a run at the ruck in my fantasy team. On past form it seems like the best way to get Scott Lycett  a chance at winning the taps.

24 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

Using the Olympics is probably not the best analogy for comparison - perhaps in theory it is, but in practicality since Sydney, it's been a bit of a shit show. 2004 Athens, 2008 Beijing, 2012 London (probably the exception) & last week's poor man's carnivale in Rio. Using the Olympics probably supports AlexRRR's argument.

Melbourne's not the best, it's jut got the infrastructure to be able to support such events. Sydney has the infrastructure but it's such a convoluted abomination of fuckuppery that it's no wonder Melbourne holds onto the big ticket events. Adelaide in 10-20 years time will be the new Melbourne.

I could have been a bit clearer with my example...

I don't mean behind the scenes organisational abilities...I'm talking opening and closing spectacles, new innovations...things we haven't seen before.

Bit like the Americas Cup should have been defended in America...because it has always been held there in the past

• Like 1

Im still smarting from the comment by Old Croc regarding the IQ of Victorians....well i have done the test average is 100 and i got 113, i dont pretend to be a genius but im certainly no fool .....you dont need brains to make money either lot of simple folk made it big, Croc's comment was a put down designed to shut you up or put you down and or controlling through ridicule,  for anyone game or looking for some light relief be my guest and take the test, just 20 questions.... 

http://www.free-iqtest.net/

ps...JoBlow if you couldnt work that out...dont take the test.

I agree with the non Victorian tipsters that there should be change to the exclusive possession of the GF by the MCG.

However,  I have an agreement with my daughter that when she achieves a seat on the Victorian legal bar, she will use her position and contacts to wangle her dear old Dad a MCG membership.  My dream is to watch the footy and cricket with certainty of admission, in relative comfort and with a whiskey, in a glass, at hand. Not asking much.  By the time that happens, in about 5 - 8 years with the current waiting list, the GF could have moved on, but I doubt it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Wouldn't both happen to be Victorians would you:whistling:

• Like 2