Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

10 hours ago, joboss said:

The cats lost by 37 points, not 40.

I know, because my bet was for Swans by 40+

Was on the edge of my seat for most of the 4th quarter.

Great game. Can't wait for tomorrow.

TBH, apart from Sydney's great first quarter, I thought it was a disappointing game, unless you're a Sydney supporter I guess.

A good season from Geelong, coming from 10th to 2nd but I still think they were the worst side in the top 4.

Lucky to beat the Hawks in the first final.

I know they had a good record against top 8 sides, but they were also the only top 8 side who got to play both Essendon and

Brisbane twice each.

Don't know where Geelong go now. Their backline is full of aging players like Harry Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie and Enright.

Throw in Jimmy Bartell and an over reliance on Dangerfield and Selwood and I think they will slide next year.

Hoping today's game will be a better contest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

TBH, apart from Sydney's great first quarter, I thought it was a disappointing game, unless you're a Sydney supporter I guess.

A good season from Geelong, coming from 10th to 2nd but I still think they were the worst side in the top 4.

Lucky to beat the Hawks in the first final.

I know they had a good record against top 8 sides, but they were also the only top 8 side who got to play both Essendon and

Brisbane twice each.

Don't know where Geelong go now. Their backline is full of aging players like Harry Taylor, Lonergan, Mackie and Enright.

Throw in Jimmy Bartell and an over reliance on Dangerfield and Selwood and I think they will slide next year.

Hoping today's game will be a better contest.

It was game over first quarter...so maybe not much to watch for neutral or Geelong supporters....but still a great contest.
SYdneys pressure was relentless throughout the game...i'm watching the game again this morning. 

Heeney was outstanding...he is a player that needs to be kept in the action.  His one arm mark late in the second Q drifting back in defence was outstanding.

Oddly, the commentators never came back to it...Had it been Hawthorn Bruce would have been showing replays again and again

Geelong wasn't helped by a soft run home. I thought they were very confident of winning this game...overall they exceeded expectations this year, but their draw will be less favorable next year based on where they finished.

For Sydney, Hewitt looked a little lost and Richards was also only mildly effective. Those two need to lift next week if they play. 
If McVeigh comes back, I'd be taking Marsh out and leaving Zak Jones in...

Hopefully Aliir plays...we don't have a ready replacement and I wouldn't want to put Teddy Richards in for him...ALiir is a good mark, but he did tap down or not take 3-4 marks before he was injure, unfortuneatly all went to the advantage of Geelong

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon says the AFL must consider scrapping the pre-finals bye after Sydney's thumping preliminary final win over Geelong.

The week off before the finals - in addition to another break as reward for winning their qualifying final - meant the Cats had played only one game in the 27 days leading into Friday's 37-point loss at the MCG.

Geelong looked far from switched on in the game's early stages, giving up eight unanswered goals and Lyon says it's clear the extra time off hurt their performance.

"Once you break that cycle, it's impossible to replicate an AFL senior game over that period of time," he told Fox Footy on Saturday.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/fremantle-dockers-coach-ross-lyon-says-bye-is-punishing-teams-for-success-20160924-grnmr8.html

Will be interesting to see how GWS go today then.

Interestingly enough, Chris Scott has said "I would rather it had been us (with the week off) … I still maintain that position," he said after the match. 

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

....... the Cats had played only one game in the 27 days......l

If Geelong had the choice of a very soft road into the prelim final (which they had) or a bruising campaign , including coming off a six day break (as the Swans had), I know what they would have chosen.

Certain media egg spurts over-analyse everything.

The first week bye definitely advantaged the Doggies....getting back 4 players in week 1

It also helped Sydney...They had the loss they needed, and they have the momentum they need.

I was thinking abut today...and im not sure the Doggies can kick a wining score

Yep...Sydney needed that game against GWS...They could afford to drop a game and that was the game to drop.

That game, nearly all the  young players failed; nerves, big occasion. It happens almost every year in finals with inexperienced teams and it was bound to happen to Sydney this year.  Since that loss, the youngsters have looked confident and not overawed with the situation...understanding their roles better and that they have to play a strong role for the team to win.
I'd much rather they had the loss and go into the GF having learnt from that experience.

Can't say I'm displeased that GWS got beaten.. but at least the AFL get at least 1 Melbourne team next week...

Swannies are going to be tough to beat next week. I think GWS was the only team that could take it up to them, but, Doggies have form against the Swans recently so it might be closer than I think it will be. Mighty Mouse and his mate Oliver Twist, working absolutely beautifully picking pockets, nabbing crumbs and kicking half'a'dozen between 'em.

Aliir, <deleted> Malcom Turnball, put the knockers on him at the UN earlier in the week and Aliir clearly went weak at the knees hearing the PM sing his praises. I am disappointed to learn Malcom is a Swans supporter though :sorry:

How's Steve Austin? Showing no signs of being stretchered off last week, bounding around last night with total nonchalance. Beautiful to watch him roam the wilds of the G.

I think Marsh is the one that gets dropped, unlucky, but he hasn't really been anywhere to be seen. Zak Jones should hold his spot, need his guts and speed. Future Brownlow Winner Mills' a chance of playing and I reckon Horse will roll that dice.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

So a team who finished 7th, with a low percentage, gets to play in the GF in front of a rabid home crowd!

Not many would have given them a chance in the first final without that bye before the finals started. Now on a roll, with confidence sky-high they have a good chance of knocking over the side who probably should be premiers this year!

The bye was engineered to promote an oldies game and the introduction of girlies football. Big initial interest in the girls, but it won't take long before the only people who give a toss about it will be friends and relies. And a charity game based around an old VFL player,  should be played midweek without disruption to the regular season!

The Dogs took the opportunity to get their confidence and injured players back and now have a big chance to go all the way.

After the game finished the Dogs thought they had won the GF. I hope they can refocus for the actual GF.

It would be great for them to win the GF from 7th.  They showed early in the season that they were a good side. Injuries slowed their momentum.

Personally I hope they do not recover and forget to turn up on Saturday and the Swans prevail.

GO THE SWANS

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

After the game finished the Dogs thought they had won the GF. I hope they can refocus for the actual GF.

It would be great for them to win the GF from 7th.  They showed early in the season that they were a good side. Injuries slowed their momentum.

Personally I hope they do not recover and forget to turn up on Saturday and the Swans prevail.

GO THE SWANS

Norf looked good early in the season too, was it 9-0 initially?

The teams who finished strongly and made the top 4 (and probably Adelaide) deserve the lollies at the end. 

5 hours ago, GrantSmith said:

Can't say I'm displeased that GWS got beaten.. but at least the AFL get at least 1 Melbourne team next week...

Swannies are going to be tough to beat next week. I think GWS was the only team that could take it up to them, but, Doggies have form against the Swans recently so it might be closer than I think it will be. Mighty Mouse and his mate Oliver Twist, working absolutely beautifully picking pockets, nabbing crumbs and kicking half'a'dozen between 'em.

Aliir, <deleted> Malcom Turnball, put the knockers on him at the UN earlier in the week and Aliir clearly went weak at the knees hearing the PM sing his praises. I am disappointed to learn Malcom is a Swans supporter though :sorry:

How's Steve Austin? Showing no signs of being stretchered off last week, bounding around last night with total nonchalance. Beautiful to watch him roam the wilds of the G.

I think Marsh is the one that gets dropped, unlucky, but he hasn't really been anywhere to be seen. Zak Jones should hold his spot, need his guts and speed. Future Brownlow Winner Mills' a chance of playing and I reckon Horse will roll that dice.  

Much happier to be playing the Doggies than GWS... Sydney would have beaten either of those teams today... Hopefully the doggies players get distracted all week by Melbourne media and friends..and Sydney can stay anonymous...

Presuming Aliir plays next week..
and McVeigh and Mills can come back..
Mills has to come in if fit...Mills for harry Marsh

Mcveigh for who?  hewett was out of sorts...but it isnt a like for like. No way u can take zak jones out for McVeigh. Zak Jones has to stay...his run off the backline is extraordinary...he gained 900 metres on Friday night...Rampe was 3rd on about 690metres.

One NIGHTMARE scenario is for Bouncing Benny Mcglynn....WHat if Benny was dropped for McVeigh??  Benny has had a run of bad luck already in missing out on GFs...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexRRR said:

Im now torn between who i think is the best run club in the comp up against the blue collar battlers from the working mans west...and it still is ....who have been beat up but down ridiculed and hardly ever had any success....

Chimps skyped me today from the wharf at woolloomooloo where he was sharing a coffee with Tommy Trdaebait Mitchell and Clarko The Happy.
He just wanted to let me know he has switched from the Saints to the Doggies...and could i buy him a new set of Doggies Bedsheets

Doggie will have massive  support for the GF...no doubt...But Im backing in Sydney here...they have been playing well and i'm expecting more than 40 inside 50s from them for the GF..

COuld be the start of a Sydney 4-peat.

Come on lads!!  Jump on the Sydney bandwagon!  

• Like 1

Much happier to be playing the Doggies than GWS... Sydney would have beaten either of those teams today... Hopefully the doggies players get distracted all week by Melbourne media and friends..and Sydney can stay anonymous...

Presuming Aliir plays next week..
and McVeigh and Mills can come back..
Mills has to come in if fit...Mills for harry Marsh

Mcveigh for who?  hewett was out of sorts...but it isnt a like for like. No way u can take zak jones out for McVeigh. Zak Jones has to stay...his run off the backline is extraordinary...he gained 900 metres on Friday night...Rampe was 3rd on about 690metres.

One NIGHTMARE scenario is for Bouncing Benny Mcglynn....WHat if Benny was dropped for McVeigh??  Benny has had a run of bad luck already in missing out on GFs...

Believe the talk is that if Aliir is ruled out Retiring Teddy Richards will get a cameo... Can't see Jones being dropped, he's too quick and they'll need that pace and carry off half back against the Doggies next week.

Mighty Mouse won't get dropped, he's too important, he's got the guts we need up forward. He and Papley are like the little bash brothers.

I'm banking on Marsh being the unlucky one.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, GrantSmith said:

Believe the talk is that if Aliir is ruled out Retiring Teddy Richards will get a cameo... Can't see Jones being dropped, he's too quick and they'll need that pace and carry off half back against the Doggies next week.

Mighty Mouse won't get dropped, he's too important, he's got the guts we need up forward. He and Papley are like the little bash brothers.

I'm banking on Marsh being the unlucky one.

Marsh is gone if some players come back fit.  Can't see Teddy getting a game...He wouldn't be the number one reserve and our need for a replacement tall is lessened now we are facing the Doggies.
Teddy's form was such I would be fearful he could be a game liability....I said last year Teddy should retire...but he stayed one more season because Sydney was desperate for tall defenders

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

I don't think I can remember a finals performance as good as the Bulldogs.

They were underdogs in all 3 games and 2 of them were interstate.

Seem to have hit form at the right time of year. They've been unlucky with injuries

but have been lucky with having the bye this year. Also had a decent run with the umps

all year which doesn't help.

I was worried about their lack of fire power up front as well, but it's an even spread.

They aren't overly reliant on Stringer and Boyd. If it's not Dixon, it's Clay Smith,, or Picken etc.

Beaten Sydney away the last 2 times they've played so will not be short of confidence.

One thing is for sure, the Dogs won't go away so Sydney will have to play for 120 minutes

as you know the WB's will.

Can the fairy tale continue?

Luckily they aren't too...both hopeless at the moment

Both teams have had tough physical games so tiredness wise  they will be on par.  
If Sydney have both Aliir and Mills back, it will be difficult for the doggies to get through the defence enough times..PLus our midfield is way better than their bunch of two-penny scrapyard scroungers (exclude the Bont)..
Our mids perform again and its night night Puppies!!

Will the romance continue? Today the Scrays VFL side swept aside Casey in the VFL Grand Final, coming from behind at half time piling on 8-4 to ZILLCH in the 3rd quarter the baby Dee's feel asleep....goodby Trentgrove, Grimes and a few others, the Dogs who looked so much like the senior side pretty much killed all and any resistance the Scorpions threw at them in the last....

Senior Dogs swelled onto the ground mixing with the VFL winning team....never seen that before....omen here? Luke was spotted in the pack as well.....There is something in the air tonight...

Meanwhile i i spotted the plastic bags out once again, collectors out in force bagging bulldog poo....they will need a lot of it to slow down Franklin and Tippet.

Roughead who coped a football in the eye full force from close range has been diagnosed with hyphema (bleeding in the front chamber) is doubtful but the Scray's are hopeful both Roghhead who has been in excellent form during the finals and Matt Suckling who did not play last night will both be fit to take the field GF day.

Sean Cowan a journo from somewhere is making a case for the Eagles to be renamed....new stadium new club name...makes sense dont it? He says Perth Eagles...what about Pitiful Eagles? or Putins Eagles...now that can throw the fear into the opposition ....The channel 9 Perth news says if the Eagles move to the new Perth stadium ticket and sponsor ship packages prices will have to rise....CO of the Eagles is telling the WA state Gov there not moving if they cant get a better deal....there going....they couldn't get there fast enough more hot wind coming out of Alan Carnsberg mouth....though he looks nice in his grey suite and west aussie blonde hair at a news conference recently...

Petrie must decide super pronto if he WILL take up  Adam Simpson's offer of a one year deal to play with the Eagles in 2017....well we all thought it a joke but it aint....WCE scouring the land for a ruckman, Nick Nak is out for the year and Lycett wont be ready for the start of the season....meanwhile the midnight lamp is burning bright eyeing off expected Docker discard Jack Hannah and free agent Zac Clarke, as well as scrutinising mature age Claremont key forward and part time ruck man Darcy Cameron.

The worst kept secret is out...i missed it earlier in the week...Bomber Michael Hibbered is Demon bound, his relationship with Goodwin, McCartney and midfield Jake Melksham sealed it for him, the Dee's have some very good players who got pumped today out in the boondocks they could offload..wops i mean trade for....and we will throw in Chook's boy too he's so keen to get rid of...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

mouth....though he looks nice in his grey suite and west aussie blonde hair at a news conference recently...

Petrie must decide super pronto if he WILL take up  Adam Simpson's offer of a one year deal to play with the Eagles in 2017....well we all thought it a joke but it aint....WCE scouring the land for a ruckman, Nick Nak is out for the year and Lycett wont be ready for the start of the season....meanwhile the midnight lamp is burning bright eyeing off expected Docker discard Jack Hannah and free agent Zac Clarke, as well as scrutinising mature age Claremont key forward and part time ruck man Darcy Cameron.

They can have that muppet Sinclair back...he played his best ever 5 games for Sydney early season then went back to la-la land...

Looks like 27Will'l be supporting someone else next year

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, BookMan said:

They can have that muppet Sinclair back...he played his best ever 5 games for Sydney early season then went back to la-la land...

Looks like 27Will'l be supporting someone else next year

I thought Sinclair for Jetta was a win win for both clubs.

Looks like it was a lose/lose.

I will be devo if the big dish is recruited by West Coast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ripstanley said:

Next weekend I will be in Chiang Mai. Looks like I will have to battle the many fans to find a good seat at a local bar (Google is my friend) that shows the Grand Final. I will have my Swans jumper on.

Hard to find a venue in CM?

Used to be harder in Bkk..now, seems every Western style pub will be showing the game