Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Fremantle have finally won something!

Or at least their affiliate club, Peel Thunder have. Today they won their first ever WAFL GF after 20 years of trying. (Who knows if Freo will ever win the big league)

Some familiar names in Peel's best players  -  Zac Clarke, who dominated in the ruck with 56 hit outs, Ed Langdon, Tendai Mzungu, Matt de Boer, Rory O'Brien, Darcy Tucker, Ethan Hughes, Harley Balic and Clancee Pearce.

• Like 2

Interesting G/F stories here.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-dark-side-of-afl-finals-when-it-all-went-horribly-wrong-20160916-grhmhi

The dark side of AFL finals, when it all went horribly wrong

We've been thinking about some of the greatest finals heroes of the past 50 years and we'll count down our top five this week. In contrast, here's a couple who didn't quite have the same impact ...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

Interesting G/F stories here.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-dark-side-of-afl-finals-when-it-all-went-horribly-wrong-20160916-grhmhi

The dark side of AFL finals, when it all went horribly wrong

We've been thinking about some of the greatest finals heroes of the past 50 years and we'll count down our top five this week. In contrast, here's a couple who didn't quite have the same impact ...

Bartel used to be a good player before that wolverine got stuck on the bottom half of his head!

I used to drink with them when I lived in Port Adelaide but they were all pussy cats there.

If you knew one you could usually pick up a bit of casual work if a ship was in.

They used to meet early on a vacant block behind the Railway Hotel looking for jobs.

the pub was an early opener so handy for those who missed out.

• Like 2

The AFL must allocate more grand final tickets to members of competing clubs

The Western Bulldogs are in their first grand final for 55 years. Their fan base consists of arguably the game's most long-suffering set of supporters. Most of whom still won't actually get the chance to watch their beloved Doggies win their first flag since 1954.

The MCG holds just on 100,000 people. The Bulldogs have around 39,500 members and their grand final opponent Sydney 56,500. Yet each club will be given an allocation of only 15,000 tickets. That's just 38 per cent of the Bulldogs' members. And only about a quarter of the Swans'.

Sure, not everyone can get to arguably the most popular sporting occasion on the calendar. But what always galls most, and particularly now given the romance attached to the Bulldogs' fairytale, is who can.

While many Doggies fans who've been watching their team 50-odd years and never got to see them at the "big dance" miss out, there's still a spot for those with enough money and the lust to be seen at "an event".

On Sunday, AFL event office corporate packages costing anywhere from $1610 to as much as $2590 were still available to anyone, regardless of whether they were an AFL club member.

And not long after the Bulldogs had won their stunning preliminary final victory over Greater Western Sydney, Etihad Stadium was contacting its mailing list offering packages costing between $990 and $1400.

Smells a little off, doesn't it?

It's fair to suggest the club of the western suburbs probably has a greater share of members and supporters from lower socio-economic groups. Those sorts of amounts are simply beyond their means, regardless of their passion for their club. And that's simply wrong.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-afl-must-allocate-more-grand-final-tickets-to-members-of-competing-clubs-20160925-grnw0i.html

• Like 2

Here is something to consider...

Swans finished 1st
Doggies finished 7th

Doggies got a leg up from week 1 Bye, with 4 of its top players able to come back from injury....Farewell West Coast, who suffered from having the bye and losing momentum

Doggies make the GF...despite being 7th and Sydney 1st..Doggies now have the advantage of playing at home in Melbourne in front of a crowd that will be 70% behind the to win.

Members for both team will only be allocated 30% of available tickets.

System really is broken...

• Like 2

I've heard some crazy PR spin before..but this takes the cake...To be air though...Buddy is playing in his 2nd GF for the Swans...he has already paid for himself

AFL grand final 2016: Lance Franklin here to help Sydney Swans regenerate not win flags, says coach John Longmire

Sydney coach John Longmire says superstar forward Lance Franklin was not recruited to win the Swans a flag but to help the club regenerate.

Franklin chose the Swans over cross town rival Greater Western Sydney as he believed they were closer to a flag. Since his arrival the Swans have made two grand finals in three years, missing last year when triple Coleman Medallist was unavailable for the finals.

he Swans have undergone significant change to their personnel during Franklin's time at the club. Last week's preliminary final team included only 12 members of the losing grand final side in 2014.

Among the departed are 2012 premiership heroes Adam Goodes, Mike Pyke and Rhyce Shaw, who have all retired, while others like Lewis Jetta, Nick Malceski and Craig Bird have switched clubs.

While many believe the Swans need a premiership to justify the massive outlay on Franklin - the club itself does not - but victory on Saturday would nevertheless silence many doubters.

"There's no team [that] ever thought that and no team ever will and certainly not the Sydney Swans," Longmire said.

"He was recruited because we knew we were going through a transition phase, as far as some older players going out the door, some stars of the past and some younger players coming through and we thought he could help us be competitive.

"He's certainly helped us be competitive. He was really keen to come to Sydney, that's the reasons why."

Though more noted for his on-field brilliance, Franklin is highly regarded by the Swans for his game sense. His tactical nous and experience have been invaluable to a Swans' young forward line.

"He knows his football, he loves footy, he watches a lot of it and he knows footy really well," Longmire said.

"A lot of players, talented players in particular that may not be the case always but he's one of those blokes who's got talent, he works extremely hard both sides of the ball. We saw his chases and tackle pressure on the weekend was extreme."

20 hours ago, Will27 said:

I thought Sinclair for Jetta was a win win for both clubs.

Looks like it was a lose/lose.

I will be devo if the big dish is recruited by West Coast.

Yeah...and now both the muppets are taking up space and money under the salary cap

• Like 1

Plenty to like about Sydney and Western Bulldogs after the preliminary finals

index&t_product=CourierMail&td_device=desktop
Mark Robinson, Herald Sun
September 25, 2016 5:00pm
Subscriber only

THERE’S only one game left.

Preliminary final week threw up surprises and drama aplenty as it does every year.

Mark Robinson looks at the highlights and lowlights from the season’s penultimate weekend.

ROBBO: TRAGIC NO MORE, DOGS ARE SERIOUS

WHAT I LIKE

1. Jason Johannisen.When the game was clogged and the bodies were tired, it was Johannisen who helped break it open, specifically when he ran out of halfback and delivered to Marcus Bontempelli in the final quarter, who kicked the goal. He was immensely influential. He had a game-high 831m gained, 26 disposals, six inside 50s, six score involvements and six intercept possessions.

2. What about Clay Smith and Luke Dahlhaus.Smith’s was the moving story of the night, losing a mate who died on Monday and then kicking four goals and don’t you love it when he’s described as being as hard as a cat’s head, like he’s an old-fashioned footballer. But once again, Dahlhaus goes about his business with little fanfare. He’s 178cm and 77kg and puts himself into hostile situations. His toughness is one aspect, his ability to get the ball to hand so quick and out of congestion is elite. That’s three big finals from him.

3. Josh Dunkley.It’s Bulldogs overload in the ‘likes’, but we’re not apologising. The Swans must look at Dunkley and think they might’ve missed one. He’s played just 16 games and two of his best have come in the past two finals. Against Hawthorn, he had a game-high 12 score involvements and against the Giants it was 13 score involvements. That’s some start to a career.

4. Absorbing pressure.The Cats failed in the first 60 minutes and the Swans stood up when they had to be counted. In the last three quarters, Sydney showed just how good they were at withstanding pressure. Geelong had 59 inside 50s to just 23, yet could only score eight times. In an amazing stat, Geelong created 48 turnovers in the forward half - the most by any side this season - yet scored just three goals from them. On the flip side, the Swans created just 18 turnovers in their forward half and scored seven goals. At other times, the Cats didn’t help themselves by bombing it too much, but accolades to Zak Jones and Dane Rampe who continually brought it out of defence.

5. Dane Rampe.He is a genuine star who needs attention. On Friday night, he had 26 disposals, 11 marks, 621m gained and six intercept possessions playing a mixture on Lachie Henderson and Harry Taylor. His bad spell was when Taylor kicked two goals on him in the third quarter. Rampe will probably want to play on a tall this week, to use his agility and smarts on the rebound, but Tory Dickson did the job on Heath Shaw on Saturday night, so you wonder if a smaller match-up, such as Dickson, can be achieved to quell Rampe.

WHAT I DISLIKE

1. Decision time.Who presents the Cup to the Bulldogs if they win the premiership? Maybe the great Doug Hawkins. What about John Schultz. Perhaps Susan Alberti. All wonderful candidates, but if we are going to ride this emotional train, what about Bob Murphy. What a sight that would be, Bob, Luke Beveridge and Easton Wood all on the dais. One thing’s for sure, the hug-fest would be one for the ages and the tears would water the MCG grass for the cricket season.

2. Geelong’s talls. It was supposed to be the weapon after Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood, but it crumbled in a heap on preliminary final night. Tom Hawkins and Lachie Henderson didn’t fire as forwards, Rhys Stanley, Zac Smith and Mark Blicavs didn’t have huge influence and Buddy Franklin worked over Tom Lonergan in the first quarter and was probably the most influential player on the ground by the first break. In the first 15 minutes, Franklin had six disposals, 116m gained, four inside 50s and was involved in three scores.

3. Steve Motlop. At his best is match-winning. At his worst, he seems disinterested. The trade pundits say he’s on the table, which has not been confirmed, but let’s assume he is. What do the Cats get for him? You’d be reluctant to give up a first-round selection because he’s too inconsistent. Maybe a trade for, say, Brett Deledio or Daniel Wells, which has been mentioned, but that would seems overs.

4. Jeremy Cameron.Huge against the Swans in the first final, he was a shadow in the second final. Just five possessions, one mark and one behind was his return. And it wasn’t as if one player had a night out on him. The way the Bulldogs defend, which is anyone can take anyone, Cameron had an even spread of Hamling, Morris, Roberts and Wood. It’s funny what you will remember. For Cameron and Devon Smith, it will be for their gobbing off and Smith’s want to fight everyone.

5. Unfriendly fans. Wasn’t in the crowd, but Twitter was quick to point out that when Callan Ward went down with a knee to the head, some sections of the Bulldogs supporter group cheered wildly. If true, that’s taking jeering and booing to a classless level. The poor bastard could’ve been seriously injured doing exactly what Bulldogs fans used to cheer him for: courageously going back with the flight of the ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BookMan said:

Plenty to like about Sydney and Western Bulldogs after the preliminary finals

Mark Robinson, Herald Sun
September 25, 2016 5:00pm
Subscriber only

THERE’S only one game left.

Preliminary final week threw up surprises and drama aplenty as it does every year.

Mark Robinson looks at the highlights and lowlights from the season’s penultimate weekend.

ROBBO: TRAGIC NO MORE, DOGS ARE SERIOUS

WHAT I DISLIKE

1. Decision time.Who presents the Cup to the Bulldogs if they win the premiership? Maybe the great Doug Hawkins. What about John Schultz. Perhaps Susan Alberti. All wonderful candidates, but if we are going to ride this emotional train, what about Bob Murphy. What a sight that would be, Bob, Luke Beveridge and Easton Wood all on the dais. One thing’s for sure, the hug-fest would be one for the ages and the tears would water the MCG grass for the cricket season.

Crikey, give it a rest Robbo.

As much as Bob Murphy seems like a lovely fellow, it's for past greats to present, not injured players/captains.

Got a feeling it's going to be tripe like this until the game:rolleyes:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BookMan said:

Wasn't interested in it, Dangerfield was awarded the medal prior to round 1 and the awards have very little to do with football, it a girls night with fashions, shoes and thier makeup.  It's  like a wedding all about the bride and the groom is just an accessory.

• Like 2

<deleted> me gently, watched VFL180 last night and they played the Al Pacino speech from Any Given Sunday

for the Bulldogs.

The Bulldogs bandwagon will be out of control by Saturday methinks.

I think come game day, my soft spot for the Bulldogs for this year would've evaporated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Wasn't interested in it, Dangerfield was awarded the medal prior to round 1 and the awards have very little to do with football, it a girls night with fashions, shoes and thier makeup.  It's  like a wedding all about the bride and the groom is just an accessory.

I popped into this forum half way through the night to get some updates on the medal count, but all I saw from several members were pictures of the Wags dresses!

Thought I had accidentally opened "E News" or "Fashion Police"!

I suppose the fact that the winner of the Brownlow Midfielders Medal was a foregone conclusion didn't help in exciting interest!

Having said that, I thought Danger was a worthy winner this year. His efforts to get his missing teammates going last week showed his class. 

Time to change the name of our football code's principal award to better recognise the fact that it is a national competition, and, more importantly, the manner of voting to make it more inclusive for valuable players all over the ground and not just the guys in front of the umpires eyes. 

48 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I popped into this forum half way through the night to get some updates on the medal count, but all I saw from several members were pictures of the Wags dresses!

Thought I had accidentally opened "E News" or "Fashion Police"!

I suppose the fact that the winner of the Brownlow Midfielders Medal was a foregone conclusion didn't help in exciting interest!

Having said that, I thought Danger was a worthy winner this year. His efforts to get his missing teammates going last week showed his class. 

Time to change the name of our football code's principal award to better recognise the fact that it is a national competition, and, more importantly, the manner of voting to make it more inclusive for valuable players all over the ground and not just the guys in front of the umpires eyes. 

TBH, I'm not really interested in the Brownlow unless a West Coast or WA boy is in contention.

I thought Danger was a worthy winner as well.

I still think it should be for the best player in the comp and we should drop the fairest part.

If you transgress and are still good enough to win it, that should be enough.

As for changing the name. The AFL in their wisdom named the new player of the finals medal

in honour of a VFL great Gary Ayres so there's no chance.

And the way were going this week, if there was a name change, it would be the Bontempelli medal.

• Like 1

AFL 2016 finals: Port Adelaide heading to China in late May as AFL ticks off on international game

The AFL Commission have approved the notion for a game for premiership points to be played in China in 2017.

Port Adelaide is all but certain to host the Gold Coast Suns in a game to be played in late May next season; probably in round 10 or 11.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-2016-finals-port-adelaide-heading-to-china-in-late-may-as-afl-ticks-off-on-international-game-20160927-grps8s

Cheap flights BKK to Shanghai?

• Like 1

Just heard Max (Tangles) Walker passed away today.

An all round sportsman, he played a number of games in the VFL for Melbourne Football Club.

Melanoma, the curse of many a cricketer, caught up with him. 

Loved watching him play, and was entertained by his writing and tv commentary.

Far to young to die, he was just 68, the same age as myself and others here.

RIP Maxie.

• Like 2