Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Jolimont news.....that's where the MCG is guys for who's not been to the G......................JO

Beverage takes AFL coach's coach of the year .....back to back.... only the second person to do it...the other was the former Saints coach who made it big at the Hawks Allan Jeans...eat your heart out CHOOKS...

Footnote....A one A Clarkson has yet to achieve this milestone in his career...

Stewart Crameri....forgotten ex Bomber who was to have played for Western Bulldogs until the drug saga gave him a year off...is devastated, Compo claims leveled at the Dons are on hold until after the GF...a lot is riding on a Dogs win....the payout could be massive few will realize its not just now as a player and sponsorships, 30g go to each player on top of game payments etc to the winning team....what it can affect is after retirement with potential future employment in the media, paid speaking engagements from being a premiership player.  

Max Walker cricket player media personality and a once Dee ruck man has passed away...

The knifes are sharp and its cutting time in the AFL.....Cats cut rookies, Bates, Delaney, Lucey, Read and Cornell...one of them pinched from the Swans rookie list, house hold names that will be forgotten fast...Bartel triggered a clause in his contract so can play on Cats have told him he will be spending time in the VFL, Motlop and Vardy  are available for trade, i hear there's room on a list way over in the west for a few veterans with premiership experience....Forgotten man Mitch Clarke will be heading westward home as well....his time and contract is up at Catland, WCE are dredging do you think Mitch could get 3rd time lucky? 

No news here...Dee's cut Grimes a round 1 draft choice in 07, ( now this would be a better option for WCE or the Dockers looking to pick up a half decent player and only 27) along with Terlich and Mat Jones, no new contract offers on the table for Chris Dawes or Cam Pederson bye bye....Trentgrove has escaped for the time being....Well we got our HBA's worth of medical insurance on Chris...never known a guy to spend so much time in sick bay...3 seasons and one hand full of games..

Its just not working...Burnt Pies split with leading Teams...Hatchet and panic time at 4&20 Buckley's and nooones last year coming up, Ed shifted a few ad min staff and got one G Allen back to try and save golden boy.....

Some Brownlow trivia for TV...Mason "gaint" Cox one of the 4&20 Pies is the very first US born and raised footballer to get a vote in the Brownlow...1 vote against the Lions when he kicked 4 goals...im sure if the Pies can get there act together he will poll a lot more...Hawk Sam Mitchel is now the leading brownlow vote catcher with 220 over taking former great and ex Doggie and Roo Gary "mr nice guy" Dempsey...Max "mountain man" Gawn was the highest vote grabbing Ruckman and Nick "captain fantastic" Riewoldt who is on the pension was the only non midfielder in the top 12.

Its a South Aussie thing, Port hot to trot a China game have been given a half nod from the AFL...no Vic clubs at all interested in a 12 hr flight, Chinese take away or battling with traffic jams so the pitiful Suns kindly accepted the offer to front and centre in Shanghai, AFL are not keen to foot the entire bill of umps flights and grounds men not to mention media since its an exercise on promoting the Power....

NRL comes to a season's end as well this sunday the purple people eaters of Melbourne the Storm one of the more successful sporting clubs in AU in there very short history will be playing off in there GF...when you follow the Dee's you need multiple outlets for your sporting fix...ps...i should change to Melbourne City in the round ball game...Socceroo great Cahill is in the team and there looking awesome....Victory struggling to get anyone of note to come play with them...Manchester City's take over of Melb Heart/City has nailed the coffin closed on the Vic's.

• Like 1

On 26/09/2016 at 2:39 PM, BookMan said:

Here is something to consider...

Swans finished 1st
Doggies finished 7th

Doggies got a leg up from week 1 Bye, with 4 of its top players able to come back from injury....Farewell West Coast, who suffered from having the bye and losing momentum

Doggies make the GF...despite being 7th and Sydney 1st..Doggies now have the advantage of playing at home in Melbourne in front of a crowd that will be 70% behind the to win.

Members for both team will only be allocated 30% of available tickets.

System really is broken...

Here we go....Plain common sense tells anybody the Dogs would have finished higher if not for all there injuries, top 4 for sure, the bye? every team in the comp had the same advantage, WCE were pretty lame most of the year anyway, far from convincing until the last 3 games of the season, Dogs home is at Etihad not the MCG.

Not much point winging about where the GF is played its set in concrete no matter who makes it over god knows how long, and i can already hear it should the Dee's Tigers or Bombers and not to forget Pies or Hawks make the GF in the near future....to be fair if you mr Bookman would come up with the zillions the AFL will relocate the GF for you after all its just business....

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Having watched the footy shows last night, this is what I've gleaned.

The Bulldogs will win the GF.

Marcus Bontempelli will win the Norm Smith and the next 3 Brownlows.

Who are they playing again:P

I also heard the Bont is going to present the trophy should the Dogs win as well :P

When it came down to it, all the boys on "The Couch" picked the Swans by various margins and various players winning the Norm Smith.

Everyone's buying into this fairy tale, funnily enough, none of this carry on when the Swans made their first GF appearance in 1996 having not made a GF since 1936. Nor was there any of it when they made the GF in 2005.

The Dogs haven't won a GF since 1954 and haven't been in a GF since 1961 and everyone's losing their god damn minds about it... They've still got another 10 year wait before they can start this fairy tale celebration nonsense...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

Edit: Jake Niall On The Couch last night said he was tipping Sydney with a "heavy heart".

Good to see senior sports writer being professional and unbiased:rolleyes:

It must be piling the pressure on the Doggies...They could do a 2014 Sydney....where we got thrashed because out minds weren't on the job

3 hours ago, GrantSmith said:

Coming from the sois of Bondi, Aliir's ruled out... McVeigh and Mills both looking to contend for selection...

Aliir is a massive out for us....he was playing so well.

I am not confident at all regarding McVeigh and Mills...

We really do need Mills back in, but he has to be fit.

3 defenders out....

5 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Here we go....Plain common sense tells anybody the Dogs would have finished higher if not for all there injuries, top 4 for sure, the bye? every team in the comp had the same advantage, WCE were pretty lame most of the year anyway, far from convincing until the last 3 games of the season, Dogs home is at Etihad not the MCG.

Not much point winging about where the GF is played its set in concrete no matter who makes it over god knows how long, and i can already hear it should the Dee's Tigers or Bombers and not to forget Pies or Hawks make the GF in the near future....to be fair if you mr Bookman would come up with the zillions the AFL will relocate the GF for you after all its just business....

Plain common sense tells anybody that ANY team would finish higher up if they won more games...
Bulldogs finished 7th...That fact is indisputable. 

Etihad is their home ground but Melbourne is their home area, where the game will be played...just a few Klms from their home ground.
That's a massive advantage for a GF...

Taking your point on it just being a business...QLD and NSW markets account for 60% of all advertising spend...so I guess the AFL might as well play 60% of all games up there...?
There is my squillions...can u call Gil and tell him i have solved the problem...GF to be moved to home ground from next year

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BookMan said:

Plain common sense tells anybody that ANY team would finish higher up if they won more games...
Bulldogs finished 7th...That fact is indisputable. 

Etihad is their home ground but Melbourne is their home area, where the game will be played...just a few Klms from their home ground.
That's a massive advantage for a GF...

Taking your point on it just being a business...QLD and NSW markets account for 60% of all advertising spend...so I guess the AFL might as well play 60% of all games up there...?
There is my squillions...can u call Gil and tell him i have solved the problem...GF to be moved to home ground from next year

Yep, in most cases you finish where you deserve.

The Dogs had some bad injuries through the year, but they are now pretty much at full strength.

Only Bob Murphy and Wallis are big outs?

If it was just business, a lot of sides would fold.

Too many sides in Melbourne, but most know that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Will27 said:

Edit: Jake Niall On The Couch last night said he was tipping Sydney with a "heavy heart".

While our own home state journalists are a fair and pure as the driven snow. :whistling:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

I  enjoyed Lakey on Open Mike last night.

Nice one....this video has bonus footage!

he doesn't like Luke Darcy much... can't say i blame him

Remarkable really...he leaves the Doggies and goes to the Hawks..in 3 seasons he wins 3 GFs

I like how he describes those little things at Hawthorn that make the club easy for the players...Extra backroom staff doing simple  things and also players able to have excess baggage...
Add those little things up X 100....and it makes a difference

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BookMan said:

Nice one....this video has bonus footage!

he doesn't like Luke Darcy much... can't say i blame him

Remarkable really...he leaves the Doggies and goes to the Hawks..in 3 seasons he wins 3 GFs

I like how he describes those little things at Hawthorn that make the club easy for the players...Extra backroom staff doing simple  things and also players able to have excess baggage...
Add those little things up X 100....and it makes a difference

Yep, for the life of me I don't know why Fox don't broadcast the whole unedited versions.

IMO, Lake deserves more time on Fox. I find him refreshing and quite humorous.

The bits about the A team at the Bulldogs and the attempted suicide at training were good viewing.

Darcy is a deadset flog. Pretty muck common knowledge about the Bulldogs at that time when a group

of them were all playing for themselves but not taking the Dogs to a premiership.

Lake played 57 games at the Hawks for 3 premierships and a Norm Smith.

Not a bad strike rate.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Will27 said:

Relax WILL......The poor Doggies have been the wipping boys and feeder club to the blue rinse set, a one M Malthouse cut his teeth over in the desolate Whitten over before making history over in the west, they produced some of the best players like ruckman Gary Dempsy who was snared in this case by North,  and lets not forget the media, it gets people interested and sells newspapers, Swans would have to be favourites, in previous years the senerio of a club like the Scrays making the GF meant they would be smashed but this year with the comp so evan and a bye changes everything and on top of that the Dogs were much better than 7th...

This year I'm staying neutral, as it is both Swans and Scrays have been more strugglers than corporate flyers over the last 100 years.

Ps...It would be nice for Peter Gordon if the Dogs won, he's sunk a lot of $ to keep them afloat and returning to lead them after Smorgon's tenure, he certainly learned from his first term of being president to be shall we say....ruthless.....hes not been shy about cutting staff, at one point there they were looking like Nero's Rome...but look at them now...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Will27 said:

Not saying they are mate but it's not right.

You guys could do what i do...boycott "The Footy Show" rather low form of entertainment 90% of the time, in fact i dont watch any merdia on football other than the game with the sound turned down low so not to get annoyed by several of those tired commentators....

Surprisingly i didn't know Dangerfield won the Brownlow until yesterday...hehehe

My choice of media is the newspaper were i can screen what i read, hard copy or online....some how Tuesday was a blur....

• Like 2

A footy Quiz for you guys to take.....i got 50% considering I'm not a footy junkie I'm happy with my score....try your luck guys...im sure Mastermind WILL will poll somewhere in the 90's...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/real-footy-afl-quiz-which-club-has-the-most-knowledgeable-supporters-20160928-grqhgq.html

Edited by AlexRRR
spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

A free app? and is it available only in Thailand?

It's a free app but like Fox Sports in Australia, you need to be subscriber. Haven't tried it out overseas but frankly, I'd have no use for it outside of Thailand :P

Edited by GrantSmith
  • Like 1

No, not free... what happens is my neighbour has the top True Visions package and it comes with connections to three (I think) devices.

He only uses two so gives me the link to the remaining one which is an iPad app.

Yes, it appears to be only available in Thailand, I tried it in Mandalay last week without success.

Neighbour said it should work if I changed my IP address with a VPN.

Edited by sceadugenga
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GrantSmith said:

It's a free app but like Fox Sports in Australia, you need to be subscriber. Haven't tried it out overseas but frankly, I'd have no use for it outside of Thailand :P

Yes, the actual app is free sorry, but you need to be a subscriber as you say.

• Like 1

A terrific article on Dennis Cometti before his last game.

I particularly like this paragraph:

The question of keeping schtum on his own views is a recurring theme for Cometti, who prefers to remain a neutral observer. “I just don’t think sporting commentary is the place for them, to be honest.

That’s just a personal view,” he says. “I don’t think it’s a forum. The audience is certainly widespread in its political views and its views on most things in live in general, so to go too deeply or too far down

that track probably does the broadcaster no good, the organisation he represents no good.”

Like a cork in the ocean: Dennis Cometti bobs up to call his final AFL game

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/sep/28/like-a-cork-in-the-ocean-dennis-cometti-bobs-up-to-call-his-final-afl-game?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Like 2