Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

10 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Goals are down but the game time is 20% less with reduced quarters so we can expect to see less goals and lower scores.

A quick review of the games this weekend..

Swans V Dogs.  A lot of feverish tackling but both sides still moved the ball quickly

GWS v Collingwood. That was a game that was free flowing
Port V Eagles. Port were dynamic at times 

St Kilda the forward moving running excitement machine - who would have thought?

Essendon v Carlton... not that exciting

Lions ... free flowing when they woke up
North last quarter...very exciting

For me the games this year have had a lot of fast hurried free flowing quick playing momentum.

tackle wise, the rule could be changed to tackled with the ball is a free.... but what would be the consequences ?
Or, 16 players on 16 minute quarters.  WOuld this free the game up or would it be the same as it now?

Granted the game is shorter so you can expect some drop off in scoring.

As for your reviews, I'm not buying it.

Sydney were inaccurate but still only kicked 5 goals for the game.

GWS/Collingwood was decent.

Port were pretty good but WC were playing <deleted>.

Saints v Richmond I'll give a tick.

Brisbane and Adelaide was <deleted>.

The only reason the Norf game was exciting was because Hawthorn stopped.

The first 3 quarters were boring as bat poo.

It's just scrimmage after scrimmage.

It's a terrible look.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Will27 said:

Granted the game is shorter so you can expect some drop off in scoring.

As for your reviews, I'm not buying it.

Sydney were inaccurate but still only kicked 5 goals for the game.

GWS/Collingwood was decent.

Port were pretty good but WC were playing <deleted>.

Saints v Richmond I'll give a tick.

Brisbane and Adelaide was <deleted>.

The only reason the Norf game was exciting was because Hawthorn stopped.

The first 3 quarters were boring as bat poo.

It's just scrimmage after scrimmage.

It's a terrible look.

Sydney was always going to be looking at bottom 6 this year and when you take out the forward line of Buddy, Sam Reid and Mccartney, the options up forward are thin. Western Bulldogs had plenty of passages of good ball movement.

I don't see too much different than last year from a spectacle POV. and goals per game is similar, allowing for 20% less playing time. Blow outs have lessened  with player not as tired with a reduction in playing time.

It might be that a rule change is brought in to restrict which players can enter the oppositions 50 metre arc. 

Tackled with the ball , regardless of prior = free kick.  
Tackling a player without the ball also strict free kick

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Radar501 said:

The only reason Round 4 had a detectable pulse was coz of the tight finishes.   Otherwise it was the same old flooding the backline and kicking around witches' hats.   And to think that the experts predicted the shorter quarters would mean a fast-flowing attacking game.

The coaches can rant all they like about rule changes to make footy spectator-worthy, but they would help by demanding their forwards play in position and don't wander to the back-pocket and clog up the game.   Simples

On another note, Gil announced the season was to be put in mothballs back on March 22.   On that date, Victoria recorded 67 new cases of CV19.   Today, the state has 75 new cases, and heading north at an alarming trajectory.  If Premier Dan the Man calls for a tightening of restrictions, it will be very interesting to hear any response from the AFL.

NSW, QLD and SA are treating Victoria as a leper colony right now.

Screenshot 2020-06-29 12.31.40(2).png

The Covid case ramp up is concerning based on that stat. Now the season is back and the situation gone through once already, it might take a tenfold increase in covid numbers to halt it again.

teams can play in bubbles.

We should see Richmond and collingwood play at least 3 games against each other

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will27 said:

You obviously haven't been watching WC.

It could be a nil all draw.

West coast looked poor last week.  The few times they showed glimpses of getting into the game, nothing happened.

Sydney lacks depth and the players it has, well not enough are in the high talent pool or are just too inexperienced

Though I do have hope for Sydney's Mids with Florent and Rowbottom

Luke Parker was draft pick 40 and Kennedy came to us  with Ben Mcglynn for picks 49. 56 & 70

Hannebery was pick 30

Those 3 all were/are top guns and not fully rated when they came

Ollie Florent was pick 11
Rowbottom pick 25

So if the draft order is important those two will both be Brownlow medal winner

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Sydney was always going to be looking at bottom 6 this year and when you take out the forward line of Buddy, Sam Reid and Mccartney, the options up forward are thin. Western Bulldogs had plenty of passages of good ball movement.

I don't see too much different than last year from a spectacle POV. and goals per game is similar, allowing for 20% less playing time. Blow outs have lessened  with player not as tired with a reduction in playing time.

It might be that a rule change is brought in to restrict which players can enter the oppositions 50 metre arc. 

Tackled with the ball , regardless of prior = free kick.  
Tackling a player without the ball also strict free kick

Some of the changes proposed in the media are:

Increasing the kicks to a minimum of 25 meters or it's play on

: Umpires bouncing the ball a lot quicker and not waiting for the ruckmen to get there or nominate

: 16 a side on the field

: Having a team prior opportunity so if someone in the clear handballs to someone under the pump,

the team has had their prior

: kick backwards is play on

: last touch out of bounds between the arcs is a free to the opposition

I wouldn't mind 16 per side TBH, but something has to be done.

It's a dreadful spectacle at the minute.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BookmanBkk said:

Early Brownlow medal tipping favourites

When was the last time a 4 game 18 year old was in top contention for the Brownlow?  Matt Rowell form the Gold Coast

Brownlow.PNG

Polled another 10 votes in the coaches award as well.

That makes it 30 votes from the last 3 games.

Only one other player in history has polled maximum votes in

3 games in a row and it was Josh Kennedy.

Unfortunately, that's the one from Sydney, not West Coast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, Will27 said:

: Umpires bouncing the ball a lot quicker and not waiting for the ruckmen to get there or nominate

: Having a team prior opportunity so if someone in the clear handballs to someone under the pump,

leave the game alone........do not touch........wet paint....

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2020 at 6:03 PM, BookmanBkk said:

Uncle is sulking over his tipping Khunwill.

He just sent an expletive laden message to Chimps

Come play fantasy footy fella......see how good you are in that....if you got time to watch every team every weekend you got time for FF....

• Haha 2

Well we got a partial lockdown in Melbourne.....Books was quick of the mark to get it to me...my burb is one of the culprits....10 burbs have to be good so them Indians and Middle Easterns now cant hang around the shopping centre centre playing with there beads and phones....

Wish people would behave....this all started from the Black Lives march...they should have locked the organizers up....then put em on a raft and push it toward the south pole....

41 minutes ago, Will27 said:

The game is dreadful Uncle Alex.

It needs fixing.

No it dont.....lets face it....all the tinkering in recent years is what you have now...so leave it alone and let the coaches develop the game.....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AlexRRR said:

No it dont.....lets face it....all the tinkering in recent years is what you have now...so leave it alone and let the coaches develop the game.....

FMD.

It's the coaches who have turned the game to what is now.

Can you honestly say the Melbourne/Geelong was good viewing?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, Will27 said:

Id love to see two simple changes
Marks need to be 25 metres
Kicking backwards in last quarter is play on

16 hours ago, AlexRRR said:

Well we got a partial lockdown in Melbourne.....Books was quick of the mark to get it to me...my burb is one of the culprits....10 burbs have to be good so them Indians and Middle Easterns now cant hang around the shopping centre centre playing with there beads and phones....

Wish people would behave....this all started from the Black Lives march...they should have locked the organizers up....then put em on a raft and push it toward the south pole....

Wasnt the spread through the hotel quarantine process?

9 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Id love to see two simple changes
Marks need to be 25 metres
Kicking backwards in last quarter is play on

Why only the last quarter?

Just make it anytime IMO.

Well lads, tipping for another round is here!

COuld be some egg on my face this round. 

Carlton V Saints - Saints for me. I tipped them against Collingwood and they got smashed. Was gun shy last week and paid the price. Kind of like watching the second Sydney team play. ????

Collingwood V Essendon. Pies by a mile. 
Eagles V Swans. Eagles should win, but they will have to bring effort this week.  Sydney unlikely to kick more than a handful of goals. Difficult game to pick. 
Cats v Suns. Geelong's home ground advantage has dissipated (IMO) with no crowds. They have been ordinary overall as well. Gold Coast is playing with confidence. WillyWOnka should enjoy watching their free flowing style for this game

Bulldogs V North. Dogs here, but without conviction. North look to be bedding down 8th-10th spot

Brissie V Port. I fancy Port here after their performance last week.  Brissie at home...but..well, another toughie

Adelaide V Freo. Fremantle should win this even without fyfe. They havent been too bad this year despite no wins, while Adelaide have been lousy and deserving of no wins. 

Melbourne V Richmond.  Well! If ever Melbourne will beat Richmond this SHOULD be the game but given performances of recent weeks...jeez!  Richmond just as bad really. I'll look at teams here and flip a coin

Giants V Hawks. GWS to win here despite Leon Cameron being Clarkos caching bunny

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Why only the last quarter?

Just make it anytime IMO.

Last quarter is where we see it the most, esp when it comes to game shutdown time. 
if the 25 metre mark is introduced we are going to see less kicks backwards due to added risk. Cant see toomany problems allowing it forst 3 Qs

5 minutes ago, BookmanBkk said:

Last quarter is where we see it the most, esp when it comes to game shutdown time. 
if the 25 metre mark is introduced we are going to see less kicks backwards due to added risk. Cant see toomany problems allowing it forst 3 Qs

I like the longer kicks.

IMO, you have to either allow (play on from kicks backwards) all of the time or none of the time.

They plan and set up structures.

Too hard to change the rules midway through a game methinks.

That's one of the problems that's stifling scores. Sides aren't doing it in just the last quarters,

they're doing it from the start.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Spread by people getting complacent IMO.

Indeed

"...But these assertions contradict the guidance of officials of the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services, who continue to report that the current burst of cases does not stem from the rally. They have said that while one protester "may have been infectious at the rally", two others who have since tested positive for COVID-19 were not infectious at the rally, nor is there evidence they contracted the virus at the rally.

Rather, Victoria’s Chief Health Officer, Brett Sutton, has linked the increase in cases to family gatherings, citing family spread as the "main cause" of 120 cases in the week to June 22..."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-26/coronacheck-victoria-black-lives-matter-protests-family-spike/12391628

• Like 1