Retirement renewal for 84 year old in Chiang Mai

May 21 renewal. Went to immigration in CM today. 800K in the bank since March 5th. Needs to be three months, not two. Suggested I leave the country to start over. 

Any other options, (other than overstay)?

Should I go to Pattaya and can I do it there with 2.5 months in the bank instead of three. I live in CM.

If not where is a good out of country choice? All of my paperwork is in order but would prefer not to do a health check.

Edited by niebla

14 minutes ago, moe666 said:

How lucrative is it, too many people keep pushing this refram without any proof what so ever, just their imagination

There are several accounts on TV of prices from 20k to 30k.  I will be in the market in the future, and will make a decision when the time comes.  At this stage, they seem to be operating with impunity.  What does that tell you? 

You deny they have been in existence for years, and are still offering their services?

• Thanks 1

It had always been 3 months seasoning before the “new” rules came into effect. Why would the OP suddenly (and foolishly, sorry to say) change to just 2 months?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Wait & See, but be prepared for anything, even the unexpected. 

Well, that's very cryptic, but I can see the day where all embassy letters will not be accepted, and the 800k will be raised to 1 million. 

What I can't see, is anything being done to shut down the agents, because if that was what the new laws were designed to do, then it would have happened already, but they are still plying their trade.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

It had always been 3 months seasoning before the “new” rules came into effect. Why would the OP suddenly (and foolishly, sorry to say) change to just 2 months?

People who ask for advice on this forum are told two months.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

A good thing for many these agents. 

But there is a saying, that all good things must come to an end. 

Corruption is part of Thai culture. 

I wouldn't be holding my breath for it to end any time soon. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

There are several accounts on TV of prices from 20k to 30k

That is generally for people who do not meet the current rules and are bypassing them with bribes, an example would be not having the funds in the bank or the 65k a month transfers

Since the OP does in fact meet the "new" requirements he can still use an agent (as many do) for about 4k baht simply to avoid doing the application themselves 

I find it quite shocking that a major IO such as CM do not know or understand the now implemented (since 1st March) new laws, maybe a call to the Immigration help/complaints line to report this might be a good idea

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

What I can't see, is anything being done to shut down the agents, because if that was what the new laws were designed to do, then it would have happened already, but they are still plying their trade.

the agents might take your money now (why not) and get you a 12 month extension - but these new rules are applied "post" extension - the 3 month 800k after and the (at least) 400k minimum for 12 months - lets see where you are at in 12 months time when you try to renew again - your agent might say - no can do, and as we don't know what penalties will be applied - maybe a 3 year ban - what then ?

• Like 1