Age discrimination, Thai women in their 40s

Peterw42

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The employers/manager want women available for sex.

Spot on mate ,  over 40 ,,  no thanks .

Moral code , etc. 

15 hours ago, Denim said:

Yes, when I worked in Bangkok my boss ( Thai Chinese ) was looking for a new secretary. He got rid of his last one as she was not too bright. I knew a couple of girls who were efficient and smart ( travel agent and receptionist ) and recommended them. He didn't like them as not pretty enough and too old ( about 30 ) which he felt would make his business look bad.

On another occasion a girl ( cleaner )who had formally worked at this company turned up on my doorstep and asked if she knew where she and her friend could find work. I looked around but found nothing while they also looked for themselves. The former cleaner found work at a noodle stand washing dishes. However , nobody would employ her friend who had burn scars on her face and one arm that she got when caught in a fire as a child.

" you would scare the customers " she was tactlessly told.

As she was desperate I suggested she go to Soi Cowboy where I felt she could find work as a dish washer with free board until something better came up. As she didn't know where it was I took her and told one of the girls I knew there the problem. She had a word with the boss and got her a job as cleaner and glass washer.

I checked up on her a couple of days later and she was fine. Free shared room and board with a small salary.

A few weeks later I bumped into her walking down Sukhumvit in obviously new clothes and a stylish haircut.

I asked how she was and she told me that one night the bar was short of dances so they asked her to give it a go go for

better wages ( her body was fine, just face and arm scarred ) 

Within a few nights of this some German bloke bar fined her, got smitten and was taking her to Germany. I was a bit worried about this and warned her that perhaps she better get to know him better first. But she said it was the real deal and they had already had the village ceremony and he had paid the sin sot. 

Never saw her again but I hope it all worked out for her and that it really was a lucky break and not a con.

I hope you got a big thank you ???? ,   

It's not justt discrimination, it is sexism, mysogeny and and a whole lot of other things too.....as far as I can tell employers are free to openly discriminate against just about anything they want.

You only have to look at advertising to see how sexism is back in the 1960s - the job of "pretty girl" just about sums it all up.

merit in employment is virtually unknown in Thailand where they prefer nepotism graft and sexism over any consideration of how good they may be at the job.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Being I work here in Thailand I see this all the time. While some spout its about sex and other things, it is just how the society behaves. They clearly do not want to pay more (No different then other countries). They also look at hire younger single women in office jobs as an opportunity to develop them. Also, consider what jobs are available. Most or service/office jobs and not many older women want that type of job and the hustle, especially with husband and children.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atyclb said:

thailand is sort of a special society.

american women thai men.jpg

there you have it - this poster of these pictures clearly is only interested in what women LOOk like - clearly they aren't going to get a job on merit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Being I work here in Thailand I see this all the time. While some spout its about sex and other things, it is just how the society behaves. They clearly do not want to pay more (No different then other countries). They also look at hire younger single women in office jobs as an opportunity to develop them. Also, consider what jobs are available. Most or service/office jobs and not many older women want that type of job and the hustle, especially with husband and children.

Pretty uninformed assessment of the situation........... Thais tend to look on employment in certain areas as gender specific, especially in industry and certainly discriminate against age.

10 hours ago, wilcopops said:

It's not justt discrimination, it is sexism, mysogeny and and a whole lot of other things too.....as far as I can tell employers are free to openly discriminate against just about anything they want.

You only have to look at advertising to see how sexism is back in the 1960s - the job of "pretty girl" just about sums it all up.

merit in employment is virtually unknown in Thailand where they prefer nepotism graft and sexism over any consideration of how good they may be at the job.

Not quite with you. Here in the U.K they seem to prefer ugly fat old women to a good looking females, even if the good looking younger female is competent to do the job. Prime example, stewardesses on British Airways. 

5 hours ago, wilcopops said:

...assuming you'd even be given a choice? And can you relate that to the workplace?

The ladyboy would probably be up for it as he needs the money for a bit more surgery, the American woman probably wouldn't as she's happy living on her welfare check. I doubt either of them spend much time in 'the workplace'.

Edited by BritManToo

On 5/10/2019 at 11:20 AM, BritManToo said:

Slightly off topic,

Nobody in the UK wants to employ people over 40 either (men or women).

When I was just over 40, I looked around me at my office in London and realised apart from senior management, I was the oldest person they employed. At 45 I accepted redundancy, never to have a full-time job again.

It's the way the world is moving.

Same. No different than US. At 45 I was out to pasture, jobs were paying half salary prior. Career dashed to rocks. Ironically, back in the workforce here ten years later, my work ethic and enthusiasm for teaching I'm a hot commodity at nearly 60.

My wife is 43 oldest rank and file in her department. Only managers are older and not by much.

Try a big box stores or family owned business.

• Like 1

Been there done that, 12 years ago the Mrs applied for a Job In Big C, becasue she wanted to work, it  was selling phones, Got told to old at 33,  Plenty of younger people about , Thai Son and Daughter  Inlaw both work 12 hour days 6 days a week for 350 baht a day,  told if you dont like it leave,  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Been there done that, 12 years ago the Mrs applied for a Job In Big C, becasue she wanted to work, it  was selling phones, Got told to old at 33,  Plenty of younger people about ,

They would have employed her stacking shelves or working the meat counter.

Selling phones is a job for 'pretties'.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

When my wife was about 42 or 43 we visited my family and friends in California.  Every time we walked into a Thai restaurant she was offered a job!  She was very amused by the fact that a woman who was 'over the hill' and unemployable in Thailand was viewed as an ideal potential employee in the US.

At 62, I am now the oldest person at my school, except for the owner and the director.  We had a frank discussion about my age and continued employment a short while ago and fortunately (as my retirement plans seem to have not worked out the way I expected) they said they would ignore the retirement age (60) and would keep me there as long as I wished and could continue to do the job well.

You are failing to understand ........................... The bank doesn't care if they make a mistake with your money.

In fact no employer in Thailand appears to care if their staff can do their jobs.

Absolutely untrue, unless you are referring to minimum wage jobs or beer bars

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/10/2019 at 11:07 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Yes. Banks are a classic case in point. You hardly ever see any staff working the counters who are much over 30. And they are nearly always of a certain standard of attractiveness.

But that's jr staff stuff here in Thailand. The only banks holding on to old maids in western countries have reason. Most have been phased out with technology. Thailand labor over intensive and unproductive

2 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

When my wife was about 42 or 43 we visited my family and friends in California.  Every time we walked into a Thai restaurant she was offered a job!  She was very amused by the fact that a woman who was 'over the hill' and unemployable in Thailand was viewed as an ideal potential employee in the US.

At 62, I am now the oldest person at my school, except for the owner and the director.  We had a frank discussion about my age and continued employment a short while ago and fortunately (as my retirement plans seem to have not worked out the way I expected) they said they would ignore the retirement age (60) and would keep me there as long as I wished and could continue to do the job well.

There is no mandatory retirement age for falang esp at private schools

On 5/11/2019 at 8:14 PM, wilcopops said:

there you have it - this poster of these pictures clearly is only interested in what women LOOk like - clearly they aren't going to get a job on merit.

Drank the Kool aid

On 5/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, Peterw42 said:
On 5/10/2019 at 11:07 AM, pagallim said:

I think that part of the problem is that she is possibly older than the individuals who would be her supervisor/manager, and a possible conflict with the deference typically shown by Thais to their elders.

I hadn't considered that but it makes sense, cant have the boss addressing the worker as P and waiing their elder.

At 45, a person would be expected to be in management, not entry-level.  An older person in America would also have difficulty finding an entry-level position....although we like to call it "overqualified."  If your wife truly has the educational qualifications, she should pursue a teaching position. 

Maybe it's cause you are a foreghner ? Do you see the difference here ? I am more than sure that you will find a place where all your abilities will be able to meet, I mean your wife. I think you need to look in other caliber of the companies here really.

On 5/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, soalbundy said:

Yes, happens to my missus as well but they are to blame themselves with their attitude, missus is 44 years old and considers herself as an old woman.

she is

• Haha 1

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:09 PM, kenk24 said:

When my wife first came to USA - - she noted the 70+ yr old fellow working in the parking lot returning carts for the supermarket... she thought this was great that he could find work. 

I thought it a bit sad that he had to.. 

Ah, don't necessarily assume that the guy has to.  In Florida where seniors abound, many are flat out bored and take the job to get out of the house, or typically a small apartment or condo.  So many go stir crazy just sitting around.   Heck, I can see me doing something similar in the future.  Just make enough so that I can continue to contribute to my ROTH IRA for which one can only contribute up to the amount earned from salary and wages and tips, i.e. w-2 income.  Sometimes you interact and meet some decent people

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Berkshire said:

At 45, a person would be expected to be in management, not entry-level.  An older person in America would also have difficulty finding an entry-level position....although we like to call it "overqualified."  If your wife truly has the educational qualifications, she should pursue a teaching position. 

As an e

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:32 AM, otherstuff1957 said:

I am 62 and just about the oldest person I ever see here at Northrop Grumman in my test division.  The nits keep trying to dispense "career objectives or goals", "personal development classes", etc.  And this coming from 28 year olds that hated their software development jobs so they thought they would move over to management which at their level is just a functional manager, one who signs time cards, orders PCs, etc.  Really is inane.  None of the functional managers as they call them, are in my project or in the line of command, but they put stuff in our "development plans".  siiiigh. Luckily I don't have to deal with such nonsense any longer than I want to.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:26 AM, petedk said:

Not all Thai bosses want their female staff for sex. Some want them for their professional abilities.

My wife was headhunted when she was nearly 40 and was given a job as Executive secretary to the owner of the company ...and his wife.

Five years later she was offered a job in a foreign bank that was opening an office here. (Only an office).

When she tried to leave the owner doubled her salary and his wife begged her to stay.
Now at 65, she is still working and sits on the Executive management team.

They have said to her directly that they want her to stay as long as they run the company as she is so well qualified and can keep the job as long as they run the company.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Some bosses are smart and realize talent and ability.  Others, as mentioned in some posts are purely hiring eye candy or cheapest labor or people they want to just boss around and satisfy their egos. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

Some bosses are smart and realize talent and ability.  Others, as mentioned in some posts are purely hiring eye candy or cheapest labor or people they want to just boss around and satisfy their egos. 

However in Thailand gender equality is barely accepted anywhere by employees who still cling to the old criteria of graft and nepotism....hence the hopeless government departments, education etc and the need to import high level engineers and managers from abroad.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Ah, don't necessarily assume that the guy has to.  In Florida where seniors abound, many are flat out bored and take the job to get out of the house, or typically a small apartment or condo.  So many go stir crazy just sitting around.   Heck, I can see me doing something similar in the future.  Just make enough so that I can continue to contribute to my ROTH IRA for which one can only contribute up to the amount earned from salary and wages and tips, i.e. w-2 income.  Sometimes you interact and meet some decent people

I knew the guy - he lived across the street from a shop I had.. he was a bit slow mentally, nice guy, homeowner, and had trouble making ends meet. The odd thing was that he had a thing with Christmas lights - it would take him a month to put them up - his house fully lit, then he couldn't pay the huge electric bill. 

Though, I wouldn't say he looked unhappy. Though not happy either. 

• Like 1