Police chief slammed online for not backing up subordinates in influence peddling drama

webfact

This judge and the officer who fired/dismissed this police officer are not fit to hold the power and responsibility that should be expected from them. I'd fire them and make them apologise to the officer. Prostrating before him  would be optional.   

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, colinneil said:

The driver thinking he is above the law, should be dismissed from his court job.

What a fine example he is, just a piece of sh++e.

Why was he stopped? Did he break any law?

Are random roadside wallet inspections now a thing in Thailand? I suspect not.....

33 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Are random roadside wallet inspections now a thing in Thailand? I suspect not.....

Who cares why he was stopped. Probably just a routine traffic stop trying to enforce the law and the police corporal ended up with this plonker.

Are you one of the people who complain when the traffic police don't enforce the law then whine if they do and you are caught in a legal stop?

The traffic cops were doing their job properly and professionally until their boss trampled on them completely unnecessarily. The "so called" judge merely shows the accumulated ignorance that he assumes his position is entitled to.

The senior police officer should be demoted and posted as a corporal in the traffic division in the south of Thailand.

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Probably just a routine traffic stop

This is Thailand, there's no such thing as a routine traffic stop.

If they stop you here they generally want money, do you drive?

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Of course I drive, though at nearly 75 I have given up biking. I have been driving in Thailand on and off since 1993. How about you?

Yes there are routine traffic stops and legal ones as well. Do you not read the news on the BKK Post and the Nation?

They are mainly looking for pickup trucks and big trucks carrying drugs on the main highways.

I haven't paid an illegal stop for many years now.

Even out in rural Khampaeng Phet we have them. The easy way to see if it is legal is the amount of police around. The more police, the more legal it is. If there are only one or two cops then it is probably an illegal traffic stop. Several times I have been stopped and let go free.

Sometimes they ask to see my licence and I gabble away in broken German or some other language and they just pass me on.

One time on the route 32 between Nakhon Sawan and Khampaeng Phet I was pulled over as was the other guy I was racing with. We both got fined I think 500 baht for speeding and both got a receipt

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

I drive everyday, either on a motorbike or in my car. In my city there are numerous police stops. I get flagged over the smae as everyone else, I show my 5 year Thai Driving License, get a salute and off I go. 

Every single time. 

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

I’ve never ever been asked for money from the police either in or out of the car and there are plenty of road blocks in Northern Thailand, plus over the years have been stopped many many times at these. However, in contrast to the OP I have generally found the Police to be quiet respectful when dealing with me, but you often reap what you sow as I am always respectful with them.

I am sure there are ethical officers, but the seems to have been entrenched for generations.

Whole culture shift required, right across the civil services

Increase in base salaries to eliminate the financial b3nefits, compulsory ethics training, legal rights training

On 5/10/2019 at 10:44 AM, webfact said:

The pair were given an explanation of the law and the director general did not want to press any charges, said Pol Col Chokedee. This was reported without a hint of irony by Daily News, reports Thaivisa.. 

He didn't want to press any charges!!!!!!      what a nice guy

35 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

He didn't want to press any charges!!!!!!      what a nice guy

What part of the “law” were they updated on?

the part that authorises the abuse of power? How to humiliate 101?

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

What part of the “law” were they updated on?

the part that authorises the abuse of power? How to humiliate 101?

There's more to this story than meets the eye. Why was he pulled over in the first place?

The police obviously did something wrong and the judge knew it and wasn't happy.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

There's more to this story than meets the eye. Why was he pulled over in the first place?

The police obviously did something wrong and the judge knew it and wasn't happy.

IMHO the police did nothing wrong and the "judge" did, which is why he got on his high horse and played his "Don't you know who I am" card.

The correct response is, "No I don't know who you, are but if you show me your licence I will know next time".

The proper question is was he the ONLY person pulled over or not. If he was then I agree with you, however if he was only one of many pulled over then the police were correct and the "judge" was not.

Another question for you. Was it a proper authorised police stop or not. If there was a fair sized police presence at the scene (as it seems to have been, by the Pol Cpl being overruled) then it was a routine traffic stop.

I see them quite often on the route 1/32 from Bkk to KPP. Ifr my wife is driving she just shows her driving licence and gets waved on. If I am driving I just get waved on.

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Pulled over for a licence check obviously. Where do you see the police doing something wrong?

19 hours ago, giddyup said:

Pulled over for a licence check obviously. Where do you see the police doing something wrong?

Are the police allowed to pull people over to check their licenses randomly?

Usually there needs to be some kind of reason to pull someone over. No reason = wrong!

28 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Are the police allowed to pull people over to check their licenses randomly?

Usually there needs to be some kind of reason to pull someone over. No reason = wrong!

Yes they wave you over at the roadside, ask for licence, ID cards etc. 

It is called random checks.

Happens not only in Thailand, also random breath checks alcohol and drugs depending on jurisdiction all legal

On 5/10/2019 at 11:41 AM, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Similiar things have happened in the west and social media has worked to back up the traffic police which usually leads to an apology or loss of position for that person in power. 

Here in Thailand the traffic police need to apologise for having the ‘audacity’ to ask a person higher up in the hierarchy for their license. ( ie; doing their job) 

Never happened on my watch - It always went like this:

"Can I see your license please"

"Do you know who I am?"

"No but if you give me your license then we'll both know - And if you don't give me your license I will charge you with failing to carry out a police directive"

20 hours ago, giddyup said:

Agree - It was a police checkpoint - Nothing illegal or wrong with stopping cars - One had a judge in it - so what?  And now it has blown up - Loss of face in high places.  Nobody should be above the law

By comparison:  In Australia one of my colleagues (a traffic constable) stopped a government car speeding and issued a fine.  The driver mentioned to my colleague who he was chauffeuring - no less than the current Prime Minister.  My colleague looked and ordered the PM to put his seat-belt on or he would also get a fine.

The episode went to the Commissioner of Police who upheld the offenses without question.  End of story.

Just now, Lenny Jones said:

It was a police checkpoint - Nothing illegal or wrong with stopping cars

Depends if it was an illegal check-point set up to extort drivers.

Was the policeman authorised to setup a checkpoint?

Was their a senior officer in charge as required under Junta instructions to stop corruption?

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Depends if it was an illegal check-point set up to extort drivers.

Was the policeman authorised to setup a checkpoint?

Was their a senior officer in charge as required under Junta instructions to stop corruption?

I have corrected your small typo.

please see below.

Was their a senior officer in charge as required under Junta instructions

to stop  assist corruption?

Its clearly a legal and well organised traffic check point, stopping traffic in both directions, with certainly more than 2 officers on duty.  Possibly a breathalyzer checkpoint. Hence the reluctance of this Ni Wit to produce a licence, instead he immediately went into his rant of his so called position within the Judiciary, which seems for him to have the desired affect. No license produced, N0 blow in the bag,  just on your way Sir.  Unbelievable!!!! But I am again reminded of the country that I live in.

I, as many here will look forward to an update on this farce. But I will not hold my breath.

43 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

Agree - It was a police checkpoint - Nothing illegal or wrong with stopping cars - One had a judge in it - so what?  And now it has blown up - Loss of face in high places.  Nobody should be above the law

By comparison:  In Australia one of my colleagues (a traffic constable) stopped a government car speeding and issued a fine.  The driver mentioned to my colleague who he was chauffeuring - no less than the current Prime Minister.  My colleague looked and ordered the PM to put his seat-belt on or he would also get a fine.

The episode went to the Commissioner of Police who upheld the offenses without question.  End of story.

Seems there may have been a breach of professional boundaries there with your friend telling you.

Glad the fine was upheld, and no doubt the driver had loss of points as well

9 minutes ago, GBW said:

Its clearly a legal and well organised traffic check point, stopping traffic in both directions, with certainly more than 2 officers on duty.  Possibly a breathalyzer checkpoint. Hence the reluctance of this Ni Wit to produce a licence, instead he immediately went into his rant of his so called position within the Judiciary, which seems for him to have the desired affect. No license produced, N0 blow in the bag,  just on your way Sir.  Unbelievable!!!! But I am again reminded of the country that I live in.

I, as many here will look forward to an update on this farce. But I will not hold my breath.

I wouldn't worry about holding your breath - you didn't have to blow in the bag.

(sorry!)

Archived