Britain's Conservatives in fourth place in EU election poll, Farage leads

rooster59

Britain's Conservatives in fourth place in EU election poll, Farage leads

800x800 (4).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage speaks during a Brexit Party campaign event in Houghton-le-Spring, Britain, May 11, 2019. REUTERS/Scott Heppell/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Theresa May's Conservative Party has fallen into fourth place in a poll on voting intentions for the European elections, well behind Nigel Farage's new Brexit Party which has more support than Britain's traditionally two biggest parties combined.

According to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer newspaper, Farage's newly formed party is on 34% of the vote ahead of the May 23 election that is being held because Britain failed to leave the European Union as expected in March.

The poll put Labour in second place on 21% while the prime minister's Conservatives are back in fourth on 11%. The pro-EU Liberal Democrats, the most popular party to explicitly call for a second referendum to reverse Brexit, are on 12%.

Britain's two biggest parties endured a drubbing at the polls this month when voters expressed their frustration with the Brexit deadlock at local elections.

Farage, whose former party UKIP is credited by many with forcing Britain's 2016 referendum on EU membership, launched his new party in April, threatening to take on Britain's political leaders who he accused of betraying the vote to leave.

May has been forced to open talks with the opposition Labour Party to find a compromise on Brexit after lawmakers heavily rejected her EU withdrawal deal three times.

Britain is now due to leave the bloc in October but with parliament split over the terms, it remains unclear how or whether it will.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-12
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

They're all creepy in different ways, with some more than others. But we need a smooth operator right now.

Cameron ........ pigs head.

May ................. no children.

Farage ........... imported wife.

Corbyn ........... 2nd imported wife. 

No normal people in politics these days, in the UK or anywhere else.

Sometimes I really wonder how they can claim to 'represent the people'.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Cameron ........ pigs head.

May ................. no children.

Farage ........... imported wife.

Corbyn ........... 2nd imported wife. 

No normal people in politics these days, in the UK or anywhere else.

Sometimes I really wonder how they can claim to 'represent the people'.

but was the pig imported?

37 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

How does it help you with your Brexit though? Should this be the result, do you really think parliament would change their mind and go for a hard Brexit? I doubt it. It’ll be another Pyrrhic victory Brexiteers can moan about: “but we won”. 

How can it not help Brexit, if Nigel Farage and the rest of his contingent make enough noise in Brussels, do you think that the EU would be willing to extend any further extensions, I think they would say "aurevoir"

Edited by vogie
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

How can it not help Brexit, if Nigel Farage and the rest of his contingent make enough noise in Brussels, do you think that the EU would be willing to extend any further extensions, I think they would say "auvoir"

France would say au revoir.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't think there's any action in the universe that would make them let go of the UK.

We are one of the four countries funding the entire mess.

I'd actually be better for us to hard Brexit, then at a later date apply to join as a country like Greece, that needs funding.

Post of the day. That cracked me up.