Britain's Conservatives in fourth place in EU election poll, Farage leads

rooster59

9 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Yeah, and crashing out of it is going to make everyone’s life better? You don’t even live in the UK. It’s the young that will bear the economic brunt of the foolishness of old age bigots, harking back to some halcyon day that never was. Talking crap about sovereignty   and other such nonsense ... it was a vote that will make people’s lives tougher ... but the sacrifice will not be met by the OAPs who voted for it.

I have still yet to see any factual data that supports a massive economic decline if we leave. Even the BOE with their 9% reduction of GDP admitted that this was the very worse scenario and when challenged again said that they expected GDP to rise over a period of 10 years.

Businesses will adapt and those that want to leave (or threaten to leave) will be replaced by others.

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Scotland produces prawns - but I guess our lazy Scottish prawn fisherman can look forward to Thai efficiencies and work practices to come as they bask in the benefits of the Brexit they don't want. 

They are coldwater prawns not warm water prawns. There's a big difference in taste, size and cost. Most of the consumption in the UK is on the later. I sell over 20 times more WW than CW.

Not only that, the cost of Scottish CW are so expensive that I can't think of any retailer that sells them (could be wrong), most of their relatively small catch gets sent to France. Most retailers buy from Greenland/Iceland and North Atlantic.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

IMO the Referendum was a farce, not an exercise in Democracy.

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2016/06/22/transcript-professor-michael-dougan-eu-referendum/

We will see how events unfold, hopefully Farage will never gain power.

Dougan again. The Jean Monnet Chair and EU funded. No bias there then.

2 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

They are coldwater prawns not warm water prawns. There's a big difference in taste, size and cost. Most of the consumption in the UK is on the later. I sell over 20 times more WW than CW.

And if the price of warm water prawns falls as tariffs are removed, I assume you will see that ratio increase further as people switch from cold water prawns?

5 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Not only that, the cost of Scottish CW are so expensive that I can't think of any retailer that sells them (could be wrong), most of their relatively small catch gets sent to France. Most retailers buy from Greenland/Iceland and North Atlantic.

Expensive yes. But those sweaty sock langoustines are nice!

4 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I have still yet to see any factual data that supports a massive economic decline if we leave. Even the BOE with their 9% reduction of GDP admitted that this was the very worse scenario and when challenged again said that they expected GDP to rise over a period of 10 years.

Businesses will adapt and those that want to leave (or threaten to leave) will be replaced by others.

There are people in the UK today who will lose their businesses or careers over Brexit ... for no real economic benefit to the rest of us. The benefits of Brexit are in the imaginations of Brexiteers ... the only difference is that when there is an economic issue they won’t be able to blame it on the EU (although I guess they’ll have a go at trying). A pointless exercise that will make people on their way out “feel” better ... like your team winning the cup and then back to work on Monday.

9 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

There are people in the UK today who will lose their businesses or careers over Brexit ... for no real economic benefit to the rest of us. The benefits of Brexit are in the imaginations of Brexiteers ... the only difference is that when there is an economic issue they won’t be able to blame it on the EU (although I guess they’ll have a go at trying). A pointless exercise that will make people on their way out “feel” better ... like your team winning the cup and then back to work on Monday.

Again, this is supposition. Even today good and well run businesses thrive and those that are managed poorly or don't understand their consumer go under. No-one knows the future but staying in is just asking for more bureaucracy and control from the EU. I will admit that I would feel more confident if there was a plan to exit which at the moment there doesn't seem to be one.

20 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

And if the price of warm water prawns falls as tariffs are removed, I assume you will see that ratio increase further as people switch from cold water prawns?

Absolutely and a bloody good thing too. There's nothing to stop the consumer from buying coldwater's if they want but they have the option of potentially paying a lot less for the warm waters. The Scottish market for prawns is minute. Their focus is on Salmon which incidentally is way overpriced too.

Again, this is supposition. Even today good and well run businesses thrive and those that are managed poorly or don't understand their consumer go under. No-one knows the future but staying in is just asking for more bureaucracy and control from the EU. I will admit that I would feel more confident if there was a plan to exit which at the moment there doesn't seem to be one.

There are businesses that will thrive even under a Corbyn Government, and some whose lives will remain unaffected. But my point is that we are putting ourselves through an upheaval for no real benefit to ourselves ... much talk about the EU “falling apart” but in my view it is more likely that it will be the UK that breaks up.  The people who are unhappy will not find their lives better once the UK exits the EU ... in my view what they will discover is that the root of their problems have nothing to do with the EU. 

Absolutely and a bloody good thing too. There's nothing to stop the consumer from buying coldwater's if they want but they have the option of potentially paying a lot less for the warm waters. The Scottish market for prawns is minute. Their focus is on Salmon which incidentally is way overpriced too.

Is part of the premium which is enjoyed by Scottish salmon simply because only Scottish raised or caught can call itself Scottish, and this has a reputation (deserved or otherwise) as a quality product? If so, this leads to another major concern, of course, that the government will be pushed into weakening regional name protection for UK producers of authentic artisanal products. 

4 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Of course they will have to adapt and should be doing so now. The CEOs have had long enough to sort themselves out rather than constantly wailing the Remainer mantras.

Who are all those businesses that will leave the UK anyway? Plenty of histrionics from Remainers about the not-really-brexit-related auto industry but no real exodus of indigenous UK business. Businesses which relocated over the years of EU industry poaching will soon be subject to whatever new post-Brexit tariffs are imposed on their previous 'imports' back to their home market. Maybe they will have to relocate back to their home factories? Post-brexit tariffs on EU products can only help to ease trade imbalance that we suffer from EU products. I will happily watch the price increases on all the German cars. 

Is this why there is record high foreign investment in the UK recently? While the Pound is still at a low, it's a good time for business to set out its' new UK stall.

It seems clear to me that the main objective has been achieved - to sow political discord and weaken civic institutions.  The next step, economic decline, seems inevitable, before we look at the possibility of civil unrest. Someone must be chortling with satisfaction at a job well done, but whoever he is, he’s not my friend and he’s probably not yours.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

There are businesses that will thrive even under a Corbyn Government, and some whose lives will remain unaffected. But my point is that we are putting ourselves through an upheaval for no real benefit to ourselves ... much talk about the EU “falling apart” but in my view it is more likely that it will be the UK that breaks up.  The people who are unhappy will not find their lives better once the UK exits the EU ... in my view what they will discover is that the root of their problems have nothing to do with the EU. 

LIAM HALLIGAN is an economist, writer and broadcaster – and also has extensive business experience. He is best known for his weekly “Economics Agenda” column in The Sunday Telegraph, which he has written since 2003. The column enjoys a large international following and has been recognized with a highly-coveted British Press Award. 

Given your view or Liam Halligans view I have made my choice

The public finances are on the mend, recording a healthy surplus in January on booming tax receipts. Employment is at record levels, with real wage growth at a two-year high. Despite a global slowdown, Britain expanded 1.4 per cent last year, recording just 4 per cent unemployment. Yet Germany and France are on the brink of recession, the Italian economy is contracting and eurozone joblessness is twice as high.

https://www.economistsforfreetrade.com/Media/the-telegraph-britains-economy-is-set-to-boom-and-become-the-largest-in-europe-because-of-brexit/

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

Good points, maybe that’s why some remainders prefer to go and live in Portugal with their granny girlfriend.

2FB13046-C2C2-4B1B-9912-E3C3BB0E0D8E.jpeg

Ha ha she looks your age,which spoons did you pull her in.a bulldog tattoo on her neck would improve her looks.

7 minutes ago, aright said:

LIAM HALLIGAN is an economist, writer and broadcaster – and also has extensive business experience. He is best known for his weekly “Economics Agenda” column in The Sunday Telegraph, which he has written since 2003. The column enjoys a large international following and has been recognized with a highly-coveted British Press Award. 

The public finances are on the mend, recording a healthy surplus in January on booming tax receipts. Employment is at record levels, with real wage growth at a two-year high. Despite a global slowdown, Britain expanded 1.4 per cent last year, recording just 4 per cent unemployment. Yet Germany and France are on the brink of recession, the Italian economy is contracting and eurozone joblessness is twice as high.

https://www.economistsforfreetrade.com/Media/the-telegraph-britains-economy-is-set-to-boom-and-become-the-largest-in-europe-because-of-brexit/

Everything Perfect or what?

Why leave the EU with these shiny data?

Joking aside.

I do Not have so much time to destroy ur 

euphoria in detail. 

Just a few thoughts:

1. Source: economistforfreetrade. Aha.

2. Growth rate of UK 2018 at 1.4% = in the lower third of the EU.

3. Data collection point for more tax revenue: January only.

4. Nominal wage growth yes, but what about the consumer price inflation rate?

5. Employment at new heights, good. But how much of it are permanent fixed jobs and part time jobs.

6. That we all slide into a threatening recession is obvious. Worldwide trade wars are known to be in full swing.

The fact that the UK with a Brexit and all the upcoming trade barriers can decouple from it, is a sweet dream.

Wirtschaftswachstum_EU.jpg

30 minutes ago, aright said:

If its not broken dont try to fix it...man city and liverpool didnt decide to start from scratch in january.

31 minutes ago, aright said:

He is a Daily Telegraph stooge, takes his money from the Barclay Brothers ... his opinion is of no interest to me as it is tainted by vested interests. I’d be interested to know what his business experience is? 

1 hour ago, StreetCowboy said:

It seems clear to me that the main objective has been achieved - to sow political discord and weaken civic institutions.  The next step, economic decline, seems inevitable, before we look at the possibility of civil unrest. Someone must be chortling with satisfaction at a job well done, but whoever he is, he’s not my friend and he’s probably not yours.

Your post is a bit deep, but I suspect you are right about dark forces surrounding this vote ... Aaron Banks Russian funding might be a good place to start.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Of course they will have to adapt and should be doing so now. The CEOs have had long enough to sort themselves out rather than constantly wailing the Remainer mantras.

Who are all those businesses that will leave the UK anyway? Plenty of histrionics from Remainers about the not-really-brexit-related auto industry but no real exodus of indigenous UK business. Businesses which relocated over the years of EU industry poaching will soon be subject to whatever new post-Brexit tariffs are imposed on their previous 'imports' back to their home market. Maybe they will have to relocate back to their home factories? Post-brexit tariffs on EU products can only help to ease trade imbalance that we suffer from EU products. I will happily watch the price increases on all the German cars. 

Is this why there is record high foreign investment in the UK recently? While the Pound is still at a low, it's a good time for business to set out its' new UK stall.

Our foreign investment since the vote has been much lower than forecast ... the idea that investment is pouring into the UK is a sad lie. If you are advocating a tariff war with the EU your simply economically illiterate.

3 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

The Pheonix can only grow from ashes.  We need to focus on destroying what was before, before we can look forward to what is ahead.  That is the essence of The Great Leap Forward.

This argument i can logically fully support. Just throw all the money out the window. After that, it can only get better.

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

He is a Daily Telegraph stooge, takes his money from the Barclay Brothers ... his opinion is of no interest to me as it is tainted by vested interests. I’d be interested to know what his business experience is? 

You are most probably right...he's a real dolt .

Liam Halligan has written his weekly Economic Agenda column in The Sunday Telegraph since 2003 – which enjoys a wide international readership and has been recognised with a British Press Award. He is Editor-at-Large and a shareholder of bne-Intellinews and has extensive business experience. Halligan took degrees in economics from the Universities of Warwick and Oxford and has held economic research posts at the International Monetary Fund, the Social Market Foundation and the London School of Economics. He has reported from Moscow for The Economist, been Political Correspondent for The Financial Times and for eight years was Economics Correspondent at Channel Four News – where he won the Wincott Business Broadcasting Award an unprecedented four times. 

3 minutes ago, aright said:

You are most probably right...he's a real dolt .

Liam Halligan has written his weekly Economic Agenda column in The Sunday Telegraph since 2003 – which enjoys a wide international readership and has been recognised with a British Press Award. He is Editor-at-Large and a shareholder of bne-Intellinews and has extensive business experience. Halligan took degrees in economics from the Universities of Warwick and Oxford and has held economic research posts at the International Monetary Fund, the Social Market Foundation and the London School of Economics. He has reported from Moscow for The Economist, been Political Correspondent for The Financial Times and for eight years was Economics Correspondent at Channel Four News – where he won the Wincott Business Broadcasting Award an unprecedented four times. 

Everything OK. His free trade approach is good. However, one has to question which framework conditions this approach assumes. 

It's better to first deal with the basics of

Adam Smith, David Ricardo, Karl Marx, Alfred Marshall, John Maynard Keynes, Friedrich von Hayek, Milton Friedman, Paul Samuelson, Gary Becker und Daniel Kahneman.

Free trade is good for a country that is economically strong enough.

Aka:

1. Has Mineral resources, enough raw materials and self-produced food

2. Has Cheap workers.

3. Has High technology Standards

4. Has a knowledge and research elite

5. Has energy independence

6. Has a Stable political system

7. Has a fast implementation structure.

8. Has a healthy population pyramid.

You can check for yourself what the UK has. Free trade can be poison for weak countries.

Last: See what the strong countries USA and China are doing at the moment.

20 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Our foreign investment since the vote has been much lower than forecast ... the idea that investment is pouring into the UK is a sad lie. If you are advocating a tariff war with the EU your simply economically illiterate.

Is it lower than your economists forecast we would see after the armageddon of a Leave referendum result?  You had better inform this lot about their sad lie:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/overseas-investment-into-the-uk-at-highest-ever-level

4th Dec 2018: The UK remains a top destination for investment, with new figures showing that inward stock is at the highest level since records began.

Just imagine how much more it will increase after the actual Brexit.

A tariff war could be interesting. How do you think the EU could adjust their tariffs in response to the UK? No need to display your literacy in gobbledygook - simple English will be fine for the simply economically illiterate.

6 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Is it lower than your economists forecast we would see after the armageddon of a Leave referendum result?  You had better inform this lot about their sad lie:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/overseas-investment-into-the-uk-at-highest-ever-level

4th Dec 2018: The UK remains a top destination for investment, with new figures showing that inward stock is at the highest level since records began.

Just imagine how much more it will increase after the actual Brexit.

A tariff war could be interesting. How do you think the EU could adjust their tariffs in response to the UK? No need to display your literacy in gobbledygook - simple English will be fine for the simply economically illiterate.

accounted for in British pounds!!!!!

Calculate that currency-adjusted,

simple for the economically illiterate in US Dollar, Euro and Yen.

21 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

accounted for in British pounds!!!!!

Calculate that currency-adjusted,

simple for the economically illiterate in US Dollar, Euro and Yen.

Is it lower than your economists forecast we would see?

Archived