Bank account with joint names, but no marriage certificate?

7 hours ago, Andyfez said:

I've tried several banks with no success.

We never had any trouble with the Bangkok bank getting a joint account before we were married.

Me and passport g/f still to marry with ID card.

I wasn't on a tourist visa though.

Try different banks some are peculiar in the way they are managed I find espesually when the manager of the branch is not in-house.. 

Just two days ago I opened a joint account with my wife at SCB they required the originals of the marriage certificates, another quirk the computer would only accept her IC card into their system if her name is shown first on the documents. 

I just asked my Thai adult son, he and his wife opened joint savings accounts together about 6 months back at 2 Thai mainstream banks for business operations.

I asked 'did either bank ask for a copy of your marriage certificate?'  No.

In the last 10 years I have opened several joint savings accounts, my son (above) and me. We were never asked for proof of family / father.son relationship.  

I opened a joint account with my friend/boss at KBank recently with no drama. This was in Mega Bangna in Bangkok.

My passport + his Thai ID was all that was needed. I'm on non-imm B visa, which I would have thought would be the toughest visa to get a joint account on (aside from tourist).

I have not had any problem opening bank accounts in thailand i have 3  with different banks ,try being respectfull and ask for their help if you have been here more than 5 iyou will know  anyything can be done if thet want to help you (lubrication of the wallet often helps ) but i didnt need to all 3 banks were happy to open an account 

We are all getting very fed up with this topic every week 

Had to try two or three bank offices before they said "yes", the rest was no problem. As soon as I left the country the woman left Thailand with 800,000 baht of my money and changed her name.

A friend of mine said that he will never have a joint account with another person in this country. I wish he had told me sooner.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Yes it is.

I have a number of dual-name accounts together with my Thai GF (not married) in both Bangkok Bank, Kasikorn (which accounts was closed a couple of years ago), and SCB; I even opened a new one in SCB about a year ago. Never been any problems; we have both savings accounts, and long term fixed accounts, and mutual funds (so-called "Fund Book")...????

Opened joint account at Krungsrai last August with GF... My passport, her ID and (I think) that's all was needed, but certainly no problems.  I'm on "Retirement Visa" (yes, I know that's not the real name).

I transfer money from my own account every month as our "living expenses" and used the account and transactions as supporting documentation of ongoing lasting relationship to assist with (successful) visa application for her to visit UK.   Most I could lose if she did a runner is THB50,000.

• Like 1

I had a joint bank account years ago with G F after two years i woke at 7am she had gone and taken out the money luckily only 7000 baht and as she couldn't drive got her brother to drive off with "her" car. DO NOT HAVE A JOINT ACCOUNT ! 

On 5/31/2019 at 6:37 PM, RickFarang said:

Had to try two or three bank offices before they said "yes", the rest was no problem. As soon as I left the country the woman left Thailand with 800,000 baht of my money and changed her name.

A friend of mine said that he will never have a joint account with another person in this country. I wish he had told me sooner.

Something you may not be aware of changing their name is easy but their ID number remains the same. 

On 5/31/2019 at 6:37 PM, RickFarang said:

This is real or a nice story?

As you use the 800'000 baht which would not be accepted by immigration for any extension in a joint account. So I think it is only a nice story!

But yes could happen like that of course.

• 4 weeks later...

Opened a joint account with SCB earlier this week - detail in the Opening a Bank Account thread, post 995.

We were asked for wedding certificate, but the fact that the Missus has my family name on her Thai ID card was considered sufficient.

Edited by yang123
sticky fingers