Bangkok’s first luxury outlet mall to open on August 31

Jonathan Fairfield

Central Pattana’s ‘Central Village’ outlet to target ‘young affluents’

central-villa.jpeg

With construction of its luxury Central Village now 70 per cent completed, Central Pattana Plc (CPN) on Wednesday opened the booking for the second phase of retail space after the first phase was completed.

The shopping centre and property developer has held a tenant meeting to prepare for the official grand-opening launch scheduled for August 31.

“We are very proud that we have been able to create Central Village, Thailand’s first international luxury outlet, where Thai people can be proud of Thailand being a global shopping destination,” Wallaya Chirathivat, deputy chief executive officer of CPN, said. This will help fulfil the travel experience in Thailand as comparable to other leading countries around the world.

“Over 65 brands have chosen to open their exclusive outlet stores only at Central Village. We aim to attract over 10 million Thai and foreign shoppers in the first year.”

To prepare for the official grand opening, Central Village will launch a marketing campaign to support “brand lovers” among Thai and foreign tourists, particularly the “Young Affluent” target group, which is a new segment that luxury brands around the world are keeping an eye on.

This target group is likely to increase in Asia, said Wallaya. They are 25-40 years old and have enjoyed success early in their life and career, with a monthly income of over Bt50,000. They have high purchasing power and most are “smart shoppers” who tend to consider value and quality rather than luxury.

Central-Village-4.jpg

They are “quality seekers” and tend to have self-rewarding behaviour as well as being “status hunters”. Shopping outlets are a top choice for this target group. According to data from “The 1”, over 2 million of their members are considered “Young Affluent’”.

“They are a new generation of consumers that we need to focus on,” said Wallaya.

To ensure the new outlet meets an international standard, CPN has partnered with, The Outlet Company (TOC), consulting team and global outlet management company. TOC has developed and managed several international outlets around the world, said Wallaya.

For the concept design, the project has aimed to combine elegance with a unique Thai sensibility in this project. Copper hues will be used to represent “luxury, natural and prestige” along with silver-gray to represent “modernization, sophistication and innovation” for the new generation.

The building was architecturally designed to reflect a modern Thai style using a Thai-style gabled roof with a minimum of complex patterns to give it a more modern look. The zones are divided to reflect the feel of several different villages. The shops within the project will be called “boutique stores” to represent an easily accessed luxury, and are combined with an outdoor green space similar to other popular outlets around the world.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30370213

thenation_logo.jpg

11 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

construction of its luxury Central Village now 70 per cent completed

I'm guessing that means they've built all the houses, but probably still need to fit the windows and install the A/C and furniture in them all?

A list of which brands, or even an example would have been handy. 

Reporters here aren't very good about mentioning The who, what, when, why and where details in their articles. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Hmmm as a single hansum man cashed up.

i might prowl (operative word) and find me a gorgeous hi-so or soso hi-so gal in those opulent corridors????

According to the OP article, to be affluent and have high spending power, you just need to be earning 50K baht or better per month... Even a lot of the old codgers here on retirement probably can meet that target!!! Heck, the monthly requirement for retirement extensions is 65K.

7 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

“Over 65 brands have chosen to open their exclusive outlet stores only at Central Village.

I believe the premium outlet store concept originated in the U.S., which now has dozens of these kinds of malls, usually outdoors, single level variety. And basically, at least in the U.S., they're the place the premium stores in the high end malls send their extra merchandise to be sold off at a discount.

I can't quite tell if that's the same concept the Thais are looking at here... Note, the OP article says 65 brands that have chosen to open their only OUTLET store at CV..  Well, since AFAIK there are no other outlet malls anywhere in Thailand at present, any brand opening a store at CV is going to be exclusive there...

So likewise, I'm guessing, the brands there will be the same ones we already see at Siam Paragon, Gaysorn, Icon Siam etc etc....  But maybe the prices will be a bit better. Or, maybe they won't, if the outlet mall there becomes anything like Thailand's approach to fake discounts duty free shopping at the airports.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I believe the premium outlet store concept originated in the U.S., which now has dozens of these kinds of malls, usually outdoors, single level variety. And basically, at least in the U.S., they're the place the premium stores in the high end malls send their extra merchandise to be sold off at a discount.

I can't quite tell if that's the same concept the Thais are looking at here... Note, the OP article says 65 brands that have chosen to open their only OUTLET store at CV..  Well, since AFAIK there are no other outlet malls anywhere in Thailand at present, any brand opening a store at CV is going to be exclusive there...

So likewise, I'm guessing, the brands there will be the same ones we already see at Siam Paragon, Gaysorn, Icon Siam etc etc....  But maybe the prices will be a bit better. Or, maybe they won't, if the outlet mall there becomes anything like Thailand's approach to fake discounts duty free shopping at the airports.

Nah wont be less expensive , too close to Swampy for that, get em in transit

• Thanks 1

The outlet malls in the US tend to be stocked with items that didn't sell at the full-price retail stores.  Look out for subtle defects in the merchandise.  The items will be marked down for a reason.  I learned years ago not to shop at luxury outlets.  

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

The outlet malls in the US tend to be stocked with items that didn't sell at the full-price retail stores.  Look out for subtle defects in the merchandise.  The items will be marked down for a reason.  I learned years ago not to shop at luxury outlets.  

I'm not a big outlet mall shopper in the U.S.  But I've done enough to know that the so-called premium outlet stores don't just traffic in seconds.... They also have perfectly good, unblemished merchandise -- sometimes it's discontinued models, overstocks, out of season, other reasons.  I think the seconds merchandise tend to show up less at the "premium" outlet locations.

On our last trip back to the U.S., the wife and I went to a premium brands outlet mall in the L.A. area, and the wife came back with several different items from the Coach store there... all in perfect condition, no flaws, and they were priced well under what the exact same items were/are selling for at the regular Coach stores in the malls or even direct from Coach.

Now, whether that kind of value will be available/found at the forthcoming CV mall here remains to be seen.  Thailand is, after all, the land of fake discounts.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, newatthis said:

And just when I thought I would run out places of interest to visit in Thailand.????

Just being a little suspicious maybe.......

Central lost out to King Power for the lucrative (rip off) duty free concessions.  And have this place which with easy free bus links to the airport should be able to undercut the prices.  And 'important' people have made them both happy enough to get presents in return?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

According to the OP article, to be affluent and have high spending power, you just need to be earning 50K baht or better per month... Even a lot of the old codgers here on retirement probably can meet that target!!! Heck, the monthly requirement for retirement extensions is 65K.

Like they care about us farangFarang

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

there's one such place at gretna green, just over the scottish border, certainly not a destination for the young and affluent, more like old age people on saga coach trips

7 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Hmmm as a single hansum man cashed up.

i might prowl (operative word) and find me a gorgeous hi-so or soso hi-so gal in those opulent corridors????

Lots o luck. The hi-so girls look down their noses at Farang. They want a rich hi-so Thai boy. If you cannot give them a Benz and a credit card they don't want to know. All the C's.... Cash, Card, Car, Condo. (There is a 5th 'C' unprintable here .... go figure it out for yourself!)

2 hours ago, brotherme said:

You should get out a bit more, since they are all over Thailand. I know of at least 5 outlet malls, of which 2 in Pattaya

I know the kind of places I think you're talking about, but I think the part missing from those is the "premium brands" outlet.... In other words, outlet malls in which the individual stores themselves are operated by the local franchisees of --- just for illustration purposes - Burberry, Chanel, Coach, Gucci, D&G, Vuitton, Zegna. Ferragamo, Bulgari, Nike, Addidas, etc etc...  Each having their own store in an outlet mall.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I've never quite understood the Bangkok mall thing, they all basically have the same stores.

Now this is an 'outlet' mall.

We'll see how that concept translates to Thailand. 

I tend to agree with @TallGuyJohninBKK that outlet malls in the US, don't trade in defective goods, but more the end of line stuff.

Thing is the mall era in general is beginning to take it's last gasps, and even the outlet malls are beginning to suffer the same fate as their in town compatriots.

Even Nordstrom Rack, which is a sort of hybrid, and which I like very much, the prices really cant be beat, is closing an average 2 stores per year as it moves more of it's business online.

Thats the future I think, online shopping delivered to your door, and the number of abandoned malls continues to increase.

Now where this goes in Thailand, who knows.

Malls in Thailand remind me of the 80's and 90's when kids would just go to hang out and be seen.

But how they all make money baffles me.  

Hope they remembered the Car Parking !!  'HiSo' Thais and others have rather large cars.... maybe best to make them all Disabled Bays or Mother and children bays,  you wouldn't want to scratch a 10 - 30+ million car.  

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, since AFAIK there are no other outlet malls anywhere in Thailand at present

No outlet mall? I've personally seen outlet malls in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Udon and Chiang Mai, they are probably all over Thailand, you should go out more ????

6 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I leave my luxury condo, jump into my luxury car and drive to the luxury mall to buy some luxury clothes. Then i post my all about my luxury day on facebook.

Before the halluciagens wear off??

• Haha 1