The New Jomtien

Rich the Robin

Afternoon all,

I asked a few years ago on here about any advice you all had for someone looking to retire to Thailand (including 'dont do it !!').  Rightly I was told to leave this topic till nearer the time. Well, that time will be on us in the next 18 mths or so and I still check regularly on the financial and paperwork requirements.

I need some advice on areas to check out to stay. We visited Pattaya originally some years ago and subsequently Jomtien as we had relatives living there.  I've noticed that Jomtien is a lot busier and 'in your face' now than it was when we first visited.

Is there somewhere similar to old-Jomtien that I can try? Generally peaceful but still accessible to the bigger towns - somewhere where its easy to do your shopping - a few bars/restaurants to visit as opposed to every building  on the road.

Thank you

• Haha 2

Afternoon all,

I asked a few years ago on here about any advice you all had for someone looking to retire to Thailand (including 'dont do it !!').  Rightly I was told to leave this topic till nearer the time. Well, that time will be on us in the next 18 mths or so and I still check regularly on the financial and paperwork requirements.

I need some advice on areas to check out to stay. We visited Pattaya originally some years ago and subsequently Jomtien as we had relatives living there.  I've noticed that Jomtien is a lot busier and 'in your face' now than it was when we first visited.

Is there somewhere similar to old-Jomtien that I can try? Generally peaceful but still accessible to the bigger towns - somewhere where its easy to do your shopping - a few bars/restaurants to visit as opposed to every building  on the road.

Thank you
If you don't really need the sea near you, why not having a look at the "dark side" Pattaya. I spend more and more time there. More long stayers with much less tourists.

http://pattayaguide.org/where-is-the-darkside-pattaya-pattaya-guide

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Describe your self.  

50 years old - like going out some time - like staying in. Will almost certainly be single by the time the move happens (but wont be treating it as any excuse to act like a 21 yo) Good food, walks on the beach, sun on your back etc

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Swedenlars said:

If you don't really need the sea near you, why not having a look at the "dark side" Pattaya. I spend more and more time there. More long stayers with much less tourists.

http://pattayaguide.org/where-is-the-darkside-pattaya-pattaya-guide

Thanks - I think I would prefer the sea to be near

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Don't waste your time Pattaya area has dangerous 2.5 pollution levels minimum 6 months of the year.  Go south or find another country.

yeah do some research on world health organization safe levels for 2.5 particles and you will see pattaya exceeds this all of high season and beyond the last years... this isn't rocket science but has been covered up in the media in the past... in fact the pattaya reporting station has been conveniently closed for many years but technology has allowed readings through volunteers such as airvisual etc.

• Haha 1

50 years old - like going out some time - like staying in. Will almost certainly be single by the time the move happens (but wont be treating it as any excuse to act like a 21 yo) Good food, walks on the beach, sun on your back etc
I wish you a lot of willpower for the 21 yo thing. [emoji3]

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tabarin said:

If you like to living on a dirty beach road with many homeless, junkies and bad behaving farang alcholics, you should move to Jomtien.

But the OP doesn't want to move to Jomtien anyway.

If you would prefer not too much of that, everywhere and all the time, move elsewhere.

Where, given the OP's desired location characteristics?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich the Robin said:

Take a look at Pratumnak, Soi 5 and 6.  Nothing like having a bottle of wine at on a quiet beach at sunset.  Enjoy.....

bg3.jpg

• Like 1

Air pollution should be a real consideration...

Take a look at Trang or Krabi...

If beaches are not that important...take a look at Udon Thani...

Lived in Jomtien Beach for 3 years...it is now a nice place to visit for a few days...

• Thanks 1

I would suggest picking a couple of areas and renting for a one month.

Pratumnak is good but just not for me.

I have a friend who lives in the Darkside and I do not think it is that bad if one likes extremely slow and quiet. Consider a motor bike from there.

Hate Jomtien can't really say why, but many seem to like it.

Edited by bkk6060

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

I live in Jomtien/Pratamnack and no way can you describe it as busy or in your face. It's the ideal mix of a quiet life, reasonable beach and a good selection of restaurants and bars. Plus not far to the madness of Pattaya if that's what you want. IMO the best area for retirement unless you really want to be in the sticks and bored out of your mind.

Jomtien is busy in the getting shorter, by the year, high or peak season. Say 6-7 weeks at most anymore. The rest of the year weekdays are tranquil but weekends and holidays have the BKK crowd come down. Try renting down around Soi19. It will likely remind you of the old Jomtien.

On 6/3/2019 at 9:45 PM, Michaelaway said:

HH is 2-3 hrs. by car from BKK, depending on time of day; no flights. Check Google for hotels like Tanawit, Tipurai, etc.

...unless he can route himself via Kuala Lumpur.  I think the KUL-HHQ flight is daily now.

JOMTIEN * in your face* you are joking surely, i live here. get a bit busy weekends . not from the BKK crowd but thais, having a day at the seaside, just like we would do in our home country, oh its a lot quieter, the Russians have gone home,

Edited by mercman24

I stay in Jomtien.  It's actually quite a large area, with a wide variety of living conditions.   Some places are very busy--along Thappraya and the Beach road.   Other areas are very quiet, almost to the point of being boring.   One key to happy living here is sorting out transportation that fits your needs.  Advice?  Rent a condo in Jomtien for a few months and explore what areas might strike the right balance for you.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 10:22 AM, Henryford said:

I live in Jomtien/Pratamnack and no way can you describe it as busy or in your face. It's the ideal mix of a quiet life, reasonable beach and a good selection of restaurants and bars. Plus not far to the madness of Pattaya if that's what you want. IMO the best area for retirement unless you really want to be in the sticks and bored out of your mind.

or cosy beach...fantastic views and good sea breeze if staying in high level condo...

I really don't know why anyone would want to be anywhere near the beaches around here, you can't swim and the actual sand is usually filthy, I haven't been anywhere near the sea for close to 12 years, there are superb villages with their own pools and other amenities available at reasonable prices. Enjoy your retirement ????

• Like 1