10 Hours - For 4 "Services"

So, with all the OP needed done it took 10 hours out of 365 days to accomplish.

Sounds very reasonable to me.

So, according to him they are anti Falang and milked money out of him?

What does that mean? You had to pay the required fees for your extension? I guess from your comments you cannot afford the extension fees and requirements?

Anyway, good luck on your move out.  Where?  The third world country Nirvanas Cambodia or Vietnam?

Truly lots of luck and I hope it all works out please keep us updated.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

46 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Had a surprise at the bank today going in for an extension letter, they now stop tax on an MTD account at Krungsri Bank, that has always been tax free. The eventual expatiation was 'now for foreigner' Even the Mrs says she is getting sick of the way we get treated.

Just now? I've been paying tax on MTD accounts for well over a year now. I was recently told by a bank staff this just applies to falangs. 

1 minute ago, inThailand said:

Just now? I've been paying tax on MTD accounts for well over a year now. I was recently told by a bank staff this just applies to falangs. 

Yes more racial discrimination. There is a suggestion on here that if you give them a tax number they will revert to no tax

Edited by Orton Rd

4 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

I have transferred stamps to new passports twice at Jomtien. Each time I had to go back the next day to pick up my passport. The same every time I have done my retirement extension. 

Talk of money making schemes is out of order as the stamp transfer and 90 day report are free services. 

To achieve all that in 10 hours suddenly doesn't seem so bad to me.

By comparison, how long would it take you get a first tourist visa for your wife or girlfriend to visit your home country?

About 1 hour to fill up the application.  Another hour for bio works. Picked up wife's passport a week later with a shiny multi entry 10 year visitor visa.   

4 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Thai have to  jump through their own own obstacle  courses as well ! Bureaucrats in uniforms are not an exclusive experience for foreigners. Thai society is based on a dog pack structure ! Farang are just strays on the streets.????

I agree, we all moan about regulations and things taking many hours to do but when I talk to Thai friends they tell me they have the same problems - crazy amounts of paperwork, staff that talk down to them and long waits. Some of it is just 'The Thai Way' - yes, things are changing but its not that many years ago that I had to sit and wait for up to 2 hours, just to pay my water bill when I lived in Bangkok.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very negative simplistic response. I also report to CW. Most of replies concern the fixation on some of the useless bureaucratic requirements. Not so difficult if you live at not so busy imm office. CW is a zoo. Now enforcing TM30 makes it even worse. BTW if we all followed tm30 tm47 etc to the letter of law it would be nightmare. 

there's a thought..........what if every foreigner registered in bangkok were to fill out a tm-30 and mail the package in each and every time they left the province?

or perhaps even do weekly reporting, just to be safe?

overload the system...........

16 hours ago, ccarbaugh said:

(after 11 consecutive years of residence,)  at the expiration of my current 1-year Retirement Extension, I will be located outside of Thailand.

OP deserves a medal, 10 hours.... Jesus Christ. Where are you re-locating to?

CW is the worst as it covers a huge area with too many people. Pattaya is quick and user friendly, but who wants to live there?

I don't think the problem comes from the IO's, they tell me it's the General (I believe that refers to the one that is PM). He is paranoid about security. I wonder why he is afraid of a few Farangs? Someone ought to tell him we are not interested in taking over the country, we only came here for the pu55y.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Yes more racial discrimination. There is a suggestion on here that if you give them a tax number they will revert to no tax

Yes, so years ago I went to local tax office to claim interest paid on Thai bank accounts. Fill out a detailed form, including Thai and US property holdings, bank accounts, social security number and provide 3 years of 1040s. These Big brother tactics and providing such level of detail to notiously govt officials who do not know the meaning of privacy or confidentiality was more than to give it a pass. 

Also, since you are required to report foreign funds and interest earned and Thai banks report you, and pay tax on such, I don't see how you can get a interest rebate without the IRS knowing about it. 

Edited by inThailand

14 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Why should the re entry permit take an hour? Any re entry permit I have asked for took no more than 15 mins.

At Div. 1/CW, the Re-entry Permit process (without an appointment, which does guarantee a min wait time on the order of 15 minutes) takes an hour minimum, 2 - 3 hours after getting an Extension. The first step (hand in form, pay) is quite quick, then the long wait. Assume it's the couple hundred folks doing this which contributes to the wait?

• Like 2

In Ratchaburi immigration the IO's are very friendly.   Unless the office is real busy, lots of Myanmar workers at this office, then they don't have time to BS with you.  There is a queue number monitor on the main counter but it is never turned on.  They are pretty good at handling stuff in order without queue numbers.  90 day reporting you just put your passport and form in a basket on the counter and about 10-15 minutes later they call your name to pick it up.

Edited by rwill
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, rwill said:

In Ratchaburi immigration the IO's are very friendly.

Cool.

This thread is more about documenting a recent experience at Div. 1/CW.

Your post is a bit like that sign on the highway which says, "If you lived here you'd be home". We don't, and we're not.

Don't leave Thailand move within Thailand, I did all the same things exactly as you on my last extension at Buri Ram just recently and it took me less than 30 minutes with pleasant IO and no crowding, so its not the rules but lack of manpower that maybe at fault.

• Like 1

Unacceptable, but not unheard of. 2 years ago took me full 12 hours over 2 days for change of addy, "Retirement" extension and multiple entry stamp. Place was an overcrowded, understaffed zoo. On early Dec, which is always busy. 

So I need also a TM30 for the 1 year extention at CW ? I never did it before and it was never requested. I have a yellow tabienban and a pink ID Card coresponding with my adress already. The appartment owner tried to do it online but not got any login by mail. She filled out the online form about 3 weeks ago.

16 hours ago, khunken said:

I think that those (& me) that skip days following a holiday need to rethink their strategy.

I was at Chaeng Wattana today for my 90day report, having decided that yesterday would be a bad idea, and the place was jam-packed.

skipping the day after a holiday isn't enough.  you've got to avoid at least two days before and after the holiday.  alot of people know to miss the day after holiday so come two days after.  it is best to miss the whole week if possible.  of course the place is crowded every day but we can't expect them to bring on more staff (unlikely).  so we've got to pick the best days to go.

i do my retirement extension in May.  and there are 5 holidays that month.  and now a 6th if you count the jun 3rd holiday (which can impact that last part of May when June 3rd is a monday like it was this year).  so i've got a whole month to do my extension but in reality there are only 2-3 'best days' to go.

this year had holidays on May 1, 6, and 9 so that knocked out the first 11 days for sure.  next holiday was May 20, so a small window btwn the 9th and the 20th.  15th is probably best.  then another small window btwn May 20th and June 3rd holidays.  i'd say 28th is best.   

21 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Unacceptable, but not unheard of. 2 years ago took me full 12 hours over 2 days for change of addy, "Retirement" extension and multiple entry stamp. Place was an overcrowded, understaffed zoo. On early Dec, which is always busy. 

early Dec is horrible.  you've got two holidays.  one on the 5th and the 10th.  in 2018, the 5th was a wed so that knocks out that whole week.  the 10th was a monday so that knocks out at least tues and wed that week.  better to wait for the following week.

I've been spending most of my time abroad in the Philippines nowadays and have found the immigration process and visa's very easy and straightforward.  An ACR-I card is easy to obtain and good for 1 year, allows for opening bank account and drivers license. 

I'm not retired and not a year round resident, but immigration has always been stay as long as you want and very simple process.  Retirement visas are quite simple and straightforward.

It's not always great, there are pros and cons like anywhere in the world.  Renting or owning a house or condo with good security allows for a very hassle free and affordable alternative to Thailand.  

I wouldn't vouch for the nightlife being worthwhile (except for maybe Angeles or Manila) but if one seeks a homebody not very social lifestyle, it's alright.  

Province life is somewhat boring and uneventful.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:10 AM, ccarbaugh said:

I accomplished all 4 but it took 10 grueling hours in a crowded-beyond-capacity office-building. 

You must have been the guy who I talked with just before 4 pm. I, too, was there on the 4th but just to get my visa stamps transferred to a new passport and submit the 90 day while at it. Got there around 10 and finally got the new stamps at 4:15.  Just in time for the 90 day counter to be closed, necessitating another trip to Chaeng Wattana for that next week.

What has changed since I extended last August. Well, it now appears there is an IO officer who does nothing but check your paperwork and then pass you off to yet another officer for the actual processing. That officer also checks your paperwork. Afterwards it goes to a supervisor for yet another check and approval. Three different people doing the same thing whereas last year all I did is wait for one officer and then went on my way. 

The result of this? The crowds are horrendous. Nobody leaves to free up any chairs in the waiting area. People were camped out on the floor. Indians were bringing in their own food and starting a party. Very unpleasant and foul smell.

While there, I only saw five or six White guys. The rest were almost all Hindus and Chinese with their families. All us White guys were just by ourselves. Ask me again who is making the biggest threat to cultural changes in Thailand? It's not the hated farang.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, buick said:

the stamp transfer service is processed at the desk that covers your permission to stay. 

At CW I did mine that same day under "L". My number was L 149.

I needed to spend 6 hours with a baby of 4 months old at 38 celcius, 10 people in front of me of the queue the entire time, to get a non-o 2 month extension only.
So you did quite a lot in just 10 hours to be honest, nevertheless it is still way too long and complicated for no reason at all.

The fact that they let a healthy person / farang like me wait is fine but for people who are disabled, very old or a (half Thai) baby? Disgusting, says it all.
Oh and they did notice us various moments while waiting, so it is not like they didn't know. Same for a quite old swedish in a wheel chair.

I guess they did CIA style interviews with those before me, who came for a marriage yearly extension. Took average up to an hour each, not all succeeded.
When it was finally our turn, it was processed in less than 10 minutes. That made me even more annoyed.

I will just pay up the Agent options for getting a number next time, no more needless suffering, enough is enough.
Further complications force me to speed up an exit (there are ways but I don't want to live a life like that forever, it is tiring).

At this point it is cheaper & easier to start preparing a Business Schenghen visa
with around 800 euro / 30K baht monthly funds for my wife, than it is for me to get one here.
She could even get residence & passport over time as a reward lol!

Or even a Working Holiday visa in Australia and New Zealand is still possible in case the wife is <30 y old, 200K baht get's you there, employed even.
Could do that for up to 2 years and then fund a EU visa with the savings of it. 

Thailand should stop thinking they can compare themselves with black white requirements of western countries for long term visa's & justify it on that.
Yes it is developed here, there is infrastructure etc. etc. but at the same time far from first world.
Even when comparing it to Spain or Italy, a monthly requirement of 30-35K baht would be appropriate. 

Edited by tabarin
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, tabarin said:

The fact that they let a healthy person / farang like me wait is fine but for people who are disabled, very old or a (half Thai) baby?

Yes, and at CW I saw heavyset fellow so immobile that he had to move with crutches. They shuttled him to at least three counters while I was there. First to counter 40, which apparently is the paperwork check in counter, then to counter 37, where he spent around 30 minutes, and finally to counter 39, where he spent another 30 or 40 minutes. Then an hour wait for the return of the passport.

All the while, the rules were completely breaking down. As I mentioned above, some of the Indian Hindus began bringing in their own food. There is a reason this is prohibited. The smell of their "snacks" (it was just 1 1/2 hour after the lunch break) was foul beyond belief. Things really were close to melting down a couple of times. Simply no room to move, much less sit.

• Like 1