SURVEY: Would you recommend Thailand as a retirement destination?

Scott

SURVEY: Would you recommend Thailand as a retirement destination?  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With the changes in regulations related to visas and the health care situation, would you recommend Thailand to anyone inquiring about retiring in the Kingdom.   Which option best expresses your opinion?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

Thia retirement blush is coming off from many foreigners due to rising costs, onerous and strong implementation (to some) of visa rules and regs., thai society's not showing sufficient deference to foreigners, thai's not behaving like citizens from third world countries (not sure why they left their own country in the first place).

• Like 2

Stickman latest message in print says no to Thailand as a retirement place but then again he does not have lots of money till his parents die. What would one expect as a ex teacher in Thailand for most of his working life here. Money talks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"I would suggest a few trips here on vacation, before retirement, before making the decision, as Thailand is not for everyone."

A few trips here on vacation doesn't help at all, as living here is entirely different!

I didn't say it wasn't different, I first came in 1991, retired here in 2005.

At least I had a feel for the place, and knew a bit about the place I was retiring to.

My trips helped me immensely in making my decision, as opposed to upping sticks, and moving to a place unknown to me.  

• Like 2

The strong Baht certainly takes the varnish off the experience

For a UK resident I think there would be better options available at the current exchange values. Certainly more consideration should be shown to other countries, more so now than a few years back for people thinking of making the move

Healthcare costs and age restrictions would be similar in any other country surely, if you have to provide for yourself? No?...........

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, noise said:

You should have included one or two options worded around speaking the language and accepting the culture.  Thai Visa is full of expats posting about having continuous problems with both.

Before a few of us were let loose on Indonesian students, we were required to attend a 4-week university course in Java, on 1) culture, 2) traditions and religion, 3) language.   In that order.

We soon learned that culture and tradition were much more important.  The language aspect was easier to learn than Thai, as we could actually read it!

It certainly helped us assimilate, and similar training for expats would go a long way in Thailand, although Thais are not so touchy about what they eat, or how they eat (left-handed was definitely out in Indonesia!).  

I have often wondered if there is a book on "introduction to Thailand".  In Jakarta, there was an excellent handbook produced by the American Women's Guild, including photos of fruit and veggies, with local names.  It made shopping at the markets so much easier.

• Like 2