Why Jomtien is the best place to live/retire in Thailand. 

beautifulthailand99

47 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Why  Jomtien is the best place  to retire for "ME" is  what you  really  mean.

Yep, if you want to live off the grid, wearing a rice sack and eating grubworms...... Jomtien is not for you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The Jomtien would be my first choice to, but you are horrible wrong about three things! 

Air pollution is high in Jomtien and Pattaya

Flooding is also a problem in Jomtien

and the worst claim, Norwegian high quality band at Linda? Linda used to be good, and now only avarage quality food, and expensive imported cheep wine. I had high expectations when I first came to Linda after the new opening, but was dissapointed. Hope they do better now. 

And finely the waterquality at beach, and all the garbage. Except from that everything you listed I aggree. 

I'm married to a Thai and when I retire the plan is to move to Bueng Kan province. However just now I still commute to the UK to work, and having lived in and visited many different Thai locations I agree that Jomtien has the right mix which suits my current situation. A little bit of "this" and not too much of "that" is perfect. The politics etc apply wherever in Thailand you choose to live.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

If the choice is Thailand then Jomtien is my number one.

What i still miss in Jomtien is a seaside shopping mall.

At some point there will be a condo developer thinking hey lets built a big fat mall here with a condominium on top of it.

I heard a rumor that a mall is being planned for somewhere in the south Jomtien/Na Jomtien area.  So, your wish may come true.  

My partner and I used to live in Jomtien and we liked it, too, for many of the reasons given by the OP.  We are living in Wong Amat now and liking it but, being restless types, may end up back in Jomtien at some point.

14 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Why do you post this long message in different threads using different username ? :wacko:

By example :

This big long post from Connda should be read by every expat or tourist who wants to come to Thailand to retire or stay long time. If it wasn't for my wife and property, I would be off somewhere else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain 776 said:

I lived in Jomtien 2005-2014.....I would in no way say its a best place to live.

If you are comparing it to Pattaya.....then yes its better.

If girls and bars is high on your list of pre requisites, I liked living in Jomtien away from Pattaya traffic n craziness.

If u dont care about bars n girls, then Chiang Nai is hard to beat.

Totally different class of people than the sin city area.

NO ONE would come to Thailand without the girls and bars.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Yep, if you want to live off the grid, wearing a rice sack and eating grubworms...... Jomtien is not for you.

you  need to  get  out  more,  they  don't  doff their caps anymore  either.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

Depends on whether or not you're gay, but I wouldn't regard #8 as a plus. Also, you are surely joking when you say that it's quiet. It was 10 years back, but not anymore. I had to sell my condo on Jomtien Beach Road because of the constant wall-shaking bass-heavy "music" from the pickups parked next to the beach. You just couldn't escape it. The beach and sea is just as polluted as Pattaya and the traffic is a problem. Parts of it flood in the wet. I'm afraid Jomtien is now just a little Pattaya and I wouldn't live there again if you paid me. I live near Ban Amphur, which is better but with the rapid Pattaya expansion, it's starting to get noisy and crowded out this way too, especially on weekends. In the not too distant future, Pattaya and Sattahip will be one big city.

I thought I had covered that in the 'noisy hotspots' - should really have compared to it's sister city Pattaya it is relatively quiet.  I have a condo Jomtiem side on the 15th floor of View Talay 2 you hear very little from everywhere. That said on the other side high floors you hear the constant drone of traffic on the Thepprasit Road so quietly relaxing on your balcony seemed a no go. Too quiet though and I feel I'm in a morgue - I like a little busyness.

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

Depends on whether or not you're gay, but I wouldn't regard #8 as a plus. Also, you are surely joking when you say that it's quiet. It was 10 years back, but not anymore. I had to sell my condo on Jomtien Beach Road because of the constant wall-shaking bass-heavy "music" from the pickups parked next to the beach. You just couldn't escape it. The beach and sea is just as polluted as Pattaya and the traffic is a problem. Parts of it flood in the wet. I'm afraid Jomtien is now just a little Pattaya and I wouldn't live there again if you paid me. I live near Ban Amphur, which is better but with the rapid Pattaya expansion, it's starting to get noisy and crowded out this way too, especially on weekends. In the not too distant future, Pattaya and Sattahip will be one big city.

I'm not gay or in any way homophobic but in general gay cafe culture and their liking for good food (generalising widely here) improves an area. Most gay couples I've had a chat to are nice to talk to and often funny as well. So I see them as an asset to the area. 

Edited by beautifulthailand99

4 hours ago, Emdog said:

Ahem, er, ah... you might want to correct your avatar: the name of the place is "Jomtien" not "Jomtiem". And if you love Jomtien, why is your location listed as "London"?

Agree with lots of what said about the place, been living here 16 years.

The promenade used to be great: lots of shade trees, benches all up and down beach road, and the "social circles" with curved benches  in large concrete "mini plazas" were wonderful for meeting people, actually created something of a community. All gone for some brown envelopes I reckon.

My pet peeve is the absence of responsibility to make the place clean, to maintain just about everything, the quick buck for me and screw the rest attitude of administration.

On the plus side they do have some folks that clean the beaches on fairly regular schedule.

Thanks for the heads-up on the spelling will do. Next time I am there I will join the folk who help to keep the beach clean - a good way to meet nice people I guess. Thais, on the other hand, seem too busy with metal detectors looking for treasure! Will change my Location to Kent where I spend 9 months of the year it is raining at the moment. 

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pravda said:

OP, you could have just laid out your reasons why Jomtien is the best place to retire in Pattaya.

But, Jomtien the best place to retire in Thailand? Because of baht bus route, View Talay condos and let me get this straight.... a Norwegian band?

What a stupid OP!!

You are most welcome to add some compelling reasons of your own. The list is a growing document not fixed in stone. ????????????????

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, davidst01 said:

n.o 8 is hardly a drawcard. It would be the main reason I would not live there

'They' are harmless, hardly that noticeable and most of the ladyboys which are often problematic seem to prey on the 'straight' men over the hill in Pattaya ! Make of that what you will.