Non-Imm "O' Visa Alternatives

I have used Non-Immigrant "O" Multi Entry based on marriage/child for years, was perfect for our lifestyle ie. coming to the UK for a couple of months a year (renewing the visa while in UK), no grief or hassles with Immigration, a leisurely trip to Mai Sai every 3 months etc. This is no longer available in London.

It seems you can only get a SINGLE entry Non-Imm "O" for 90 Days. No use to anyone!

My current Visa runs out in September, I am currently in the UK with family for a few more weeks, so thinking of applying for a Non-Imm "O-A" Long Stay Multiple Entry (Retirement Visa) in London.

Can I show the 800,000bht in GBP in a UK account? If so, I just need to get the police check and medical certificate and job done? Effectively the same Visa as before? Do I still need to leave the country every 90 days? 

All a bit annoying all these changes, I have plenty of savings, income etc, any other options?

Alternatively, how easy to extend my current Non Imm "O" Multi entry based on marriage when we get back to Thailand? Could put 800k in Thai bank, get a 3 month Non-Imm "O" here now and extend in 3 months, how easy is that to do? Any disadvantages?

In the past been easy using London for a Non "O" Multi entry, now need other options.

Any advice appreciated.

In your case, you could extend while in Thailand based on marriage by showing 400k in a Thai bank. One year extension each time. From what I hear, the extension process can take up to one month. Disadvantages, mainly that the money sits in the bank with an interest rate which some consider unattractive - you could in principle withdraw and deposit again though I am not familiar with the time frames. Also, you would need to be in Thailand around the time of exetnsion each year - or else restart the process. Advantages, no need to do border crossings every 3 months.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

In your case, you could extend while in Thailand based on marriage by showing 400k in a Thai bank. One year extension each time. From what I hear, the extension process can take up to one month. Disadvantages, mainly that the money sits in the bank with an interest rate which some consider unattractive - you could in principle withdraw and deposit again though I am not familiar with the time frames. Also, you would need to be in Thailand around the time of exetnsion each year - or else restart the process. Advantages, no need to do border crossings every 3 months.

Sounds ok. Not worried about 400k sitting dormant. Can you come and go as you please once you have the extension?

2 minutes ago, falang1969 said:

Sounds ok. Not worried about 400k sitting dormant. Can you come and go as you please once you have the extension?

As long as you get a re-entry permit to protect your permission to stay, yes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, falang1969 said:

Where do you get that? From the Immigration Officer at the airport as you leave?

From either your local immigration office or at BKK Departures.

But how easy would it be for you to get to Savannakhet in PDR Laos for a multi-entry non-o visa based on marriage from the Royal Thai Consulate there? No financial proof needed.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But how easy would it be for you to get to Savannakhet in PDR Laos for a multi-entry non-o visa based on marriage from the Royal Thai Consulate there? No financial proof needed.

Though based on the latest news re the trial E-Visa system and the Thai Embassy in London, the days of Multi-O's being available at various Embassies/Consulates MAY be numbered...

....If they continue to expand the mandatory E-Visa system to more and more countries, and keep the current E-Visa system unchanged, meaning, a system that doesn't allow for Multi-Entry Os.

• Like 1

I don't know whether Hull Thai consulate is still functioning . I lived in Italy before coming to live in Thailand ; I made all my applications for visa by post at Hull , One year Multi entry , O visa in respect of marriage , never the slightest problem . 

1 hour ago, Toscano said:

I don't know whether Hull Thai consulate is still functioning . I lived in Italy before coming to live in Thailand ; I made all my applications for visa by post at Hull , One year Multi entry , O visa in respect of marriage , never the slightest problem . 

They appear to be:-

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

But, alas, no more multi-entry non-o's from there, it would seem.☹️

Firstly, you are not a tourist & should be thinking about  a retirement visa & subsequent extensions based on being over 50 or married to a Thai.

I see other overseas offices following this trend of no multiple but get a single & do your paperwork here for the above next time you are here.

My advise is get a multiple reentry at the same time then you can come & go as you please.

Just remember to plan your trip so that you are  here for your extension

I really don't know what your problem is OP with the Thai Embassy in London. You can still get your Non-O multi entry visa in the UK, only difference is now you MUST apply for it online instead of visiting the Thai Embassy. However, I do believe, based on the Thaivisa article I read yesterday, that there are a few more hoops to jump through.

I have not heard that the non-O multi 1 year is unavailabale in Savanakhet, Laos. I hope not, since that is what I assume I will be able to go and get without a problem as usual in the next few months.

You could just come over to Thailand and enter on a visa free entry and then make the trip out to Savanakhet to get the non-O multi. I would not go for a retirement visa, it is in the crosshairs of too much hassle and chaos with the perennially difficult internal immigration. To me, a trip to the Savanakhet consulate once every 15 months is so much easier and more worry free, lines are usually not bad and you get your visa the next day. Savnakhet, while not the most exciting town, has some decent if somewhat decrepit atmosphere some good accomodation and food and even some interesting old French colonial houses and buildings still intact.

Maybe you could go the agency route, Thai immigration are deliberately making things worse for us as time goes on, I don't know if you are 50 for the retirement visa, but I have done the visa based on marriage by going to Savvakhanet.

I am thinking of trying to find out if any agents will do the visa based on marriage, if they do, I will look into it, getting a visa with money in the bank is full of hassle with different Immigration offices all having their own interpretation of the rules.

16 hours ago, OJAS said:

Maybe an agent can do the work through Savvakhanet to save you going there, I am only saying maybe.

I think the agents will be getting more involved as Thai immigration keep changing the rules.

32 minutes ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

lines are usually not bad

No longer true. There are waits of 2-3 hours now that Vientienne has introduced an appointment system. As Savannakhet must surely do before too long to control the chaos there. They are hell-bent on making it harder for long-term stayers.

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

No longer true. There are waits of 2-3 hours now that Vientienne has introduced an appointment system. As Savannakhet must surely do before too long to control the chaos there. They are hell-bent on making it harder for long-term stayers.

The lines are only long on Mondays and Thursdays when the visa run vans go there.

Tuesday and Wednesday there are no long lines.

The appointment system in Vientiane is not that bad now. A person just needs to make the appointment 2 or 3 weeks before the date they want go there for a tourist visa for a non immigrant visa it is one week or less. The big problem now is the false info going around stating you have to make the appointment 2 months in advance.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The lines are only long on Mondays and Thursdays when the visa run vans go there.

Tuesday and Wednesday there are no long lines.

The appointment system in Vientiane is not that bad now. A person just needs to make the appointment 2 or 3 weeks before the date they want go there for a tourist visa for a non immigrant visa it is one week or less. The big problem now is the false info going around stating you have to make the appointment 2 months in advance.

Thanks for the positive news. It's rather wonderful to have someone on here who actually knows what is going on.

I've already factored in going to Savannakhet on a Wednesday in November for my annual marriage visa. Of course, the rules and situation might have changed several times by then....

On 6/20/2019 at 11:22 PM, arithai12 said:

In your case, you could extend while in Thailand based on marriage by showing 400k in a Thai bank. One year extension each time. .

Does that 400,000 have to be in a Thai bank for a month or so before applying for the extension ?

9 minutes ago, Denim said:

Does that 400,000 have to be in a Thai bank for a month or so before applying for the extension ?

It has to be in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the date you apply for the extension of stay.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

I have not heard that the non-O multi 1 year is unavailabale in Savanakhet, Laos. I hope not, since that is what I assume I will be able to go and get without a problem as usual in the next few months.

You could just come over to Thailand and enter on a visa free entry and then make the trip out to Savanakhet to get the non-O multi. I would not go for a retirement visa, it is in the crosshairs of too much hassle and chaos with the perennially difficult internal immigration. To me, a trip to the Savanakhet consulate once every 15 months is so much easier and more worry free, lines are usually not bad and you get your visa the next day. Savnakhet, while not the most exciting town, has some decent if somewhat decrepit atmosphere some good accomodation and food and even some interesting old French colonial houses and buildings still intact.

I have not heard that the non-O multi 1 year is unavailabale in Savanakhet, Laos. I hope not, since that is what I assume I will be able to go and get without a problem as usual in the next few months.......It IS Still available in Savanakhet Though.....

40 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

I have not heard that the non-O multi 1 year is unavailabale in Savanakhet, Laos. I hope not, since that is what I assume I will be able to go and get without a problem as usual in the next few months.......It IS Still available in Savanakhet Though.....

I suspect if Savanakhet continue to offer non-O ME then they are going to get VERY busy in the coming months...

52 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Yes it is still available and will be for some time to come.

Reports of the getting one this week.

8 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

I suspect if Savanakhet continue to offer non-O ME then they are going to get VERY busy in the coming months...

Why?

Certainly not that much busier due to London and Paris not issuing them.  

On 6/20/2019 at 11:36 PM, falang1969 said:

When you apply for the marriage/1 year/400k visa at your local Thai immigration office, after they okay your paperwork, they will stamp you in for thirty days from that time.

When they have finished their checks, and before the thirty days are up, they will call you to come and get your visa. Before you hand them the passport for the visa stamp, at that point you have to ask them to give you the multi-entry option. I believe that is another 1900baht and another piece of paper as well to fill in.

Be aware that they will visit your home in Thailand to verify that you and your family actually reside at the address stated on your application. 

7 minutes ago, a10ams said:

When you apply for the marriage/1 year/400k visa at your local Thai immigration office, after they okay your paperwork, they will stamp you in for thirty days from that time.

That is a under consideration stamp with a report back date 30 days later or 30 days from the day his permit to stay ends at some offices.

7 minutes ago, a10ams said:

When they have finished their checks, and before the thirty days are up, they will call you to come and get your visa. Before you hand them the passport for the visa stamp, at that point you have to ask them to give you the multi-entry option. I believe that is another 1900baht and another piece of paper as well to fill in.

After getting the one year extension stamp (it is not a visa) he can apply for a re-entry permit. Either a single for 1000 baht or 3800 baht for a multiple.

• Like 1

Marriage extension.

I think this seems the way forward for me. What with a kid at school and another due in October, I can't be doing with flying here, there and waiting around for hours/days for a new Non "O" Multi Entry.

I'm over 50 so could do "Retirement" or "Marriage" route, which I guess are the same apart from the monetary requirements?

Not bothered whether it's 400k or 800k in the bank but is one easier to "manage" then the other? Which is the easiest, hassle free option?

So, with these "extensions" you can pay extra and effectively make them multiple entry? Having to go to Immigration every time I leave the country seems a hassle.

All great advice though!

5 hours ago, falang1969 said:

Not bothered whether it's 400k or 800k in the bank but is one easier to "manage" then the other? Which is the easiest, hassle free option?

For marriage the 400k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months and then during the 30 day under consideration period at some offices.

For retirement the 800k baht has to be in the bank for 2 months and then for 3 months after your apply. After the 3 months you can reduce the 800k baht to 400k baht until you top up the account to apply for the next extension. 

5 hours ago, falang1969 said:

So, with these "extensions" you can pay extra and effectively make them multiple entry? Having to go to Immigration every time I leave the country seems a hassle.

Form my previous post.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

After getting the one year extension stamp (it is not a visa) he can apply for a re-entry permit. Either a single for 1000 baht or 3800 baht for a multiple.

The multiple re-entry permit is valid up to the date the extension ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1