Man killed awaiting help at Bangkok roadside

webfact

Man killed awaiting help at Bangkok roadside

By The Nation

5c5d045d4107f1dea6b6a7c51af63540.jpeg

The 35-year-old driver of a Honda car broken down at the side of a Bangkok expressway was killed when it was rear-ended by a Mercedes Benz early Sunday morning.

Police arriving at the scene on the Chalongrat Expressway in Wang Thong Lang district determined that Somkid Yenjai had pulled into the emergency lane, his Honda having problems.

6448492971a77b2a39f0da585b700caf.jpeg

He was found dead on the road. 

His passengers, Saijai Praman, 38, and Noppawan Pimthong, 47, were taken to hospital, along with the injured driver of the Mercedes, Sukrit Manasomjit. 

e24ca6c237e3e96ba3ac6dd5499b4dce.jpeg

Sukrit’s blood-alcohol level was to be tested.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30371587

thenation_logo.jpg

• Sad 1

They're idiots on the freeways....there have been so many fatalities from idiots going flat out in the emergency lane....and as always, no-one cares.

Never get out of a broken down vehicle, and if on a freeway, expect to be rear ended!

Edited by ChrisY1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The safe lane is notoriously dangerous everywhere in the world! My father in law regularly gets out to take a leak after drinking his changs, while i sit in the back seat with my heart in my throat  I have mentioned it to him on many occasion but falls on deaf ears. Now the wife and I take separate cars on all family outings. So sad to read this first thig Monday morning RIP

• Like 1

post 11 all very well and good. to say that , but 99% there is nowhere else to go to be safe on a freeway, most are elevated, so if you jump the concrete wall, you will fall 50 feet to the ground.below not like other countries where one can get away from the vehicle up an embankment,

Do not stay in the vehicle, if you cannot climb a guard rail stand about 10 - 20m in front of the broken down vehicle, which should have hazard lights on, and prepare to jump out of the way if it gets rear ended. Expressways anywhere are really dangerous places especially outside a vehicle.

Edited by Classic Ray
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wisperone said:

Well  one can't stand in the roadway... get behind the guardrail.

This is good advice--it's always best to get off the road from a disabled car if you can but looking at the photos there is a wall so I think the best thing would have been to stay in the car in this case.  It happens far too often that disabled cars are then hit by another car.

1 minute ago, Classic Ray said:

Do not stay in the vehicle, if you cannot climb a guard rail stand about 10 - 20m in front of the broken down vehicle, which should have hazard lights on, and prepare to jump out if the way if it gets rear ended. Expressways anywhere are really dangerous places especially outside a vehicle.

But even that is not too safe on most highways as there are numerous instances everyday where vehicles are driven the "wrong way" on the hard shoulder simply because the drivers are too damned stupid to continue to the next U turn because the retards think it will save them time,  and that includes the so called police also.

3 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Do not stay in the vehicle, if you cannot climb a guard rail stand about 10 - 20m in front of the broken down vehicle, which should have hazard lights on, and prepare to jump out of the way if it gets rear ended. Expressways anywhere are really dangerous places especially outside a vehicle.

Yep. There is a series on Youtube called A1 Britains Longest Road. The above is what they say there. Out of the vehicle to safer place.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Ray said:

Do not stay in the vehicle, if you cannot climb a guard rail stand about 10 - 20m in front of the broken down vehicle, which should have hazard lights on, and prepare to jump out if the way if it gets rear ended. Expressways anywhere are really dangerous places especially outside a vehicle.

Exactly that... 

I broke down on the Expressway in Bangkok a few years back.

I pulled over on to the hard-shoulder, but it was narrow, I had to pull over so far to the left My Wife couldn't exit the car, I also couldn't get out as the cars passing me on the first lane were so frequent and so close that I was unable to open the door - I felt quite vulnerable, the only thing we could do was stay put and keep our seatbelts on. 

The BiB arrived within a few mins, parked his bike with the flashing lights about 10m behind our car, the free recovery vehicle had us off the expressway within about 15mins - all rather efficient, but in the city the 'emergency lane' is quite tiny and begs the question, why so narrow (as someone earlier wrote - cost savings). As with so many things in Thailand, safety takes a back seat. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, newnative said:

This is good advice--it's always best to get off the road from a disabled car if you can but looking at the photos there is a wall so I think the best thing would have been to stay in the car in this case.  It happens far too often that disabled cars are then hit by another car.

If you can get out of the car safely, do so and stand 'up traffic' of the car which is a bigger target that you are and in an impact could get shunted on to you if you are 'down traffic' from it. 

Being 'up traffic' of the car you are a smaller target should anything drift off the driving lanes. 

• Like 1