Biden tries to limit the damage from debate blow

rooster59

Biden tries to limit the damage from debate blow

By James Oliphant and Ginger Gibson

2019-06-28T221812Z_1_LYNXNPEF5R26S_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN.JPG

Democratic 2020 U.S. presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden speaks at the Rainbow PUSH Coalition Annual International Convention Labor Luncheon, in Chicago, Illinois, U.S., June 28, 2019. REUTERS/Kamil Krzaczynski

MIAMI (Reuters) - In an effort to steady his presidential campaign, former Vice President Joe Biden engaged in some furious damage control on Friday, a day after rival candidate Kamala Harris hurt him in the most dramatic clash so far of the 2020 election campaign.

Addressing an African-American advocacy group in Chicago, Biden defended his record, saying he had a "lifetime commitment to civil rights".

At the Democratic debate in Miami on Thursday, Harris, a black U.S. senator from California, tore into Biden for opposing mandatory school busing in the 1970s and for his cooperation with segregationists while he was a young senator.

Biden's defensive and sometimes faltering response was viewed as a blow to his status as the Democratic race's front-runner. He has consistently held a significant lead in public opinion polls since he entered the race in April.

The contentious back-and-forth also appeared to give Harris a boost when her campaign badly needed it, resulting in a crush of media attention, a fundraising surge, and a bevy of new endorsements.

On Friday, Biden spoke to the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, the African-American advocacy group founded by the Reverend Jesse Jackson, in Chicago.

Before reading his prepared remarks, Biden told the crowd the debate format was insufficient for him to detail his decades-long work to promote racial equality, first as a U.S. senator and then as vice president to Barack Obama, the nation's first black president.

“We all know that 30 seconds to 60 seconds on a campaign debate exchange can’t do justice to a lifetime commitment to civil rights,” Biden said.

Biden was introduced by Jackson, the longtime civil-rights leader and former presidential candidate, who said Biden has “the stuff it takes to make America better.”

During his remarks, Biden turned to Jackson and said, “I know and you know I fought my heart out to ensure that civil rights, and voting rights, equal rights are enforced everywhere.”

Biden disputed Harris’ contention that he opposed busing, the controversial practice of transporting students to schools within or outside their school districts as a remedy for discrimination, in the 1970s, saying that he supported voluntary efforts for school districts to desegregate.

He reaffirmed his support for the federal government’s power to address civil-rights abuses, and talked up Obama's accomplishments on criminal-justice reform, arguing that many of them have been overlooked.

"I’m tired of hearing about what he didn't do," Biden told the crowd. "This man had a backbone like a ramrod."

Harris’ campaign on Friday rolled out new endorsements in key early voting states such as Iowa, South Carolina and California and said it had enjoyed one of its best fundraising days of her candidacy.

Speaking to reporters outside the U.S. Capitol in Washington on Friday, Harris said, “I think we covered a lot of issues, and I’m looking forward to the next (debate).”

Asked if she thought Biden had responded adequately to her discussion of his comments on his work with segregationists, Harris said, “He said what he felt.”

ONE STEP BACK

But Harris, too, was doing some cleanup. Early on Friday, she backtracked from her apparent support at the debate for eliminating private health insurance in favour of a government-sponsored Medicare-for-All plan.

Harris told MSNBC she had misunderstood the question and said her plan would allow for private insurance as supplemental coverage to Medicare.

The clarification amplified concerns by some progressives that Harris is overly opportunistic.

“I’m glad she called out Biden, but it doesn’t allay my concerns about her authenticity,” said a top California Democratic official, who requested anonymity in order to speak frankly.

"You never really know what she really believes or what she is about,” the official said.

Biden campaign officials publicly and privately downplayed the flap with Harris as an example of a trailing candidate trying to draw attention.

“People were going to take swings at him, trying to create a moment, trying to score their points," said Kate Bedingfield, Biden's communications director.

They also noted that Biden has appeared to be in trouble before, specifically about the controversy over unwanted touching of women and his remarks about working with segregationist senators, and each time, the depth of his support remained intact.

As Biden himself has said, he does not expect to simply waltz to the nomination, and his campaign has stressed there are several more debates to come before the nominating contests.

The polling gap between Biden and Harris was immense going into the debate. According to Real Clear Politics, Biden held a 25-percentage-point lead over Harris nationally. And he has led in every early voting state.

Rodell Mollineau, a Democratic consultant and once a top aide to former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, said Biden is fortunate his debate struggles occurred early in the nominating process.

"There's time for any candidate to course-correct," he said. However, Mollineau said, Biden's campaign must view Harris' attack as "more than a warning shot."

"It does not get any easier from here, so he has to be prepared," he said.

(Reporting by James Oliphant, Ginger Gibson and Letitia Stein in Miami, Sharon Bernstein in Sacramento and Susan Cornwell in Washington; editing by Kieran Murray and Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-29
  • Haha 1

Joe has a long career we have changed from the 70s I know I was there they need to be running mates that would be a kick ass team and would give Donald night mares!uniting the sexes race and experience they are both center left smart and joe has lots of experience Harris is smart and a fighter a great team I hope they (hook up)lol

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Tug said:

Joe has a long career we have changed from the 70s I know I was there they need to be running mates that would be a kick ass team and would give Donald night mares!uniting the sexes race and experience they are both center left smart and joe has lots of experience Harris is smart and a fighter a great team I hope they (hook up)lol

Do you really think that's a real possibility after yesterday? Think about it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Awhile back when I said they would throw Biden under the bus I didn't think my prediction would be so literal in a figurative sort of way.

A literal prediction in a figurative way. ????

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Biden is a walking disaster. His age, lack of smarts and serial inappropriateness condemns him to the losers heap before this thing has even gotten started. Getting your behind handed to you by Kamala Harris is a serious warning sign that things have gone badly off track.

I have seen exactly 1 sensible candidate from the democrat side, but for some inexplicable reason she is not being pushed harder to the front. Tulsi Gabbard. Easy on the eyes. Of an apparent ethnic minority. Female. Served in the military. Good debater. Talks alot of sense, absolutely suitable for high office. I guess she is just not unhinged enough for the modern party members?

No, she's too much like a republican for the democrats to seriously consider nominating her. Also her history of being rabidly anti-gay isn't helping her either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, daoyai said:

yea Tulsi G.  is a refreshing smart Demo. centerist ... so no chance in today's atmosphere... she has a promising future.

Yeah, as a traditional republican if the republicans survive being tainted by the fascist "trump" movement. There is no place for centrist republicans in either major party.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

No, she's too much like a republican for the democrats to seriously consider nominating her. Also her history of being rabidly anti-gay isn't helping her either. 

Good point-  the Dem candidate needs to be inclusive .  Biden certainly has a long history of being inclusive but he looked out of place on the debate stage.  His answer to Harris on busing was innane- he knows that if certain States were left to their own devices on Civil Rights- there would be no equality.

I am not yet dismissing him but I think Kamala Harris would really give Trump a real battle in a debate. I also think Bernie could handle Trump and while I agree with most of Bernie's agenda- he is going to have to simplify some of his positions so the average American can understand how it will work and how it will get paid .

I am guessing finalists for the nomination will be Biden; Kamala Harris; Elizabeth Warren; Bernie Sanders and possibly Mayor Pete.

• Thanks 1

"He is inauthentic, he lies, he has no center"  --- I like these words of Zydeco, post #7.  How well they apply to the Fraud, Ms Harris.

Here is a woman trying to make out, sob sob, that she was a "little girl" being bussed in the Berkeley area in the 1960s, as if she was some poor black girl whose origins are totally working-class.

There is no evidence that she was ever bussed!  She spent most of her childhood being educated in Canada!!   And anyway, her family was thoroughly middle (almost upper) class.

Her "poor me being bussed" story is as authentic as Trump's bone spurs!

But all that is beside the point.  Surely no one with a brain cares which bus she took to school. 

What matters is the emptiness, the shallowness, the lack of a coherent ideological view except what is most woke at the moment.  She is truly the Democrat version of Trump.   Prettier though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Tug said:

Harris has that tendency to "hook up".  That's how she got to where she is.  Hooking up. 

Joe Biden is the Jeb! Bush of the Democrats.  He is the front runner, at this stage, because people recognize his name.  He will disappear like dew in the morning sunshine.  I remember that Jeb! was the leading Republican candidate early on, again due to name recognition.  When Jeb! was well out front, Trump had a total of 1% willing to vote for him.  It’s far from over but Joe is out of his depth.

19 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Biden is a walking disaster. His age, lack of smarts and serial inappropriateness condemns him to the losers heap before this thing has even gotten started. Getting your behind handed to you by Kamala Harris is a serious warning sign that things have gone badly off track.

I have seen exactly 1 sensible candidate from the democrat side, but for some inexplicable reason she is not being pushed harder to the front. Tulsi Gabbard. Easy on the eyes. Of an apparent ethnic minority. Female. Served in the military. Good debater. Talks alot of sense, absolutely suitable for high office. I guess she is just not unhinged enough for the modern party members?

Wow. Double wow. That certainly is refreshing to see here.  No kidding, post if the year for me. Seriously. 

Americans wont know a truly good candidate if she smacks them in the face. And that is exactly what is happening. She is smacking them, and they wont know it. I hope they wake up. 

She is not being pushed because she actually wants to get things done for the people. She is the candidate that helps the people, and the candidate that the establishment fears.

I honestly believe we get the likes of someone like her once in a lifetime. 

• Like 2

Any non-ethnic contender who dares bring up race at this point in the primary preliminaries is going to be shut-down by Harris and/or Booker talking about pain and suffering, it's a no-win move.  Especially with all the kudos she's getting for the Biden k.o.  Yang's Woody Allen -style ethno-neurotic remarks are wearing thin.  Hey, enrollment is still open, and we're at 25: do I hear 30?

Steve Bannon predicts Harris-Beto ticket has 'best shot' at beating Trump

So, Bannon (famous for his international nationalism evangelizing and his "drunkard passed out next to the dumpster" fashion statement) recommends this ticket.  Of course, he only wants what is best for the U.S.  :cheesy:

I post this here because I know there are a few who will understand the ploy.

More recently I read Bannon recommend the Biden/Harris ticket, but can't find a link for that one.

I liked Beto when he ran for the Senate against Cruz, but when he started doing those stunts where he stands on the restaurant counter that was the end of it for me, grossed me out.  Get your filthy boots off the table, Tex.  Maybe I've been in the Eastern hemisphere too long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I would say give her the benefit of the doubt on the position change. His is a person who saw the towers fo down on 9-11 and signed up to go over voluntarily. I would not normally say that about other candidates, but that right there gives her some leeway in my book.

Who else up on that stage can say anything like that? 

• Like 2