Help for Thai national being deported from US after 40 years

I am trying to gather information for a relative that is being deported soon from the U.S.  His mother is Thai, his stepfather was US military.  He came to the US when he was about 5 with his mom and stepdad and has been in the US for about 40 years now.  He got into some trouble with the law (no violent crime) but now they are going to deport him to a country where he knows nobody.  His mother became a US citizen after he turned 18 and he never bothered to get naturalized and he was never legally adopted by his American stepdad.  

This is new news to him and to us.  Just wondering if anyone knows what the Thai will do with him once he arrives in Bangkok?  Is there available assistance for him to help get him set up there?  He has some money and his US family will help, but initially he will arrive with very little.  

Not sure if this is the correct forum to ask about this.  If not I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Edited by stinkerbell
  • Like 1

Hello,  more than 10 years ago I helped another person in exactly the same situation.  He was born in Thailand during the Vietnam war period to a Thai mother and unknown father.  She later managed to acquire a "Green Card" status to the USA and came to the USA iwith her 4 year old son, and he grew up never knowing he was not a USA citizen, and his mom just stayed on a "Green Card" status.  He was arrested and jailed when he was in his 20's and when his sentence was over USA Immigration gave him a faded Thai birth hospital paper, and put him on a plane to Thailand.  He was in shock, having no idea what was happening to him.

His sister (who is in one of churches in the USA) somehow found my phone number and called me from the USA while he was still on the plane to Thailand.  We met him at the airport when he arrived and took him to the "backpacker area" back then in Bangkok (Khaosan Road).  He was a non-citizen of the USA and a non-citizen of Thailand, so quasi-illegal for him to be anywhere or work anywhere in Thailand, just like non-Thai-Citizen "Hill Tribe" people in Thailand.  I told him to "learn from the other foreigners in that area who somehow manage to live illegally in Bangkok and make ends meet."   I had no real idea what to do to help him.  He had no money, couldn't speak Thai, and was a non-citizen.  I gave him a cell phone and some money, and we helped him frequently for the next year or so.

He did manage over time to become a "friend" of a lady in some sort of real estate business and she protected him, helped him, and he was basically "OK".

It took several years, but he and his sister in the USA managed to convince his mother to get USA citizenship, and then come to Thailand to dig up sufficient proof that he was born to her, and that she was a Thai citizen.  The hospital was closed where he was born, but they managed to find a doctor or some nurses to vouch for him being born in that hospital to her (as indicated by that faded Thai birth paper from the closed hospital).  Then they had various Thai relatives vouch for her.  Then they had two dna tests performed in Thailand to prove that he was her close blood-relative (offspring).  And finally after about 5 years of this process of verification he gained his Thai citizenship.  But still cannot speak Thai and relies on his long-time lady friend for helping him find work to do.  Note, that the Thai government was not interested in helping at all.  Just allowed him to be deported to Thailand because of that Thai hospital paper, and then abandoned him at the Bangkok airport.

If you want to give me a pm with an email address I can ask the person I helped if he would be willing to correspond directly with you about what he had to do.  He is a likeable person, but was a stupid member of some gang in the USA which landed him in jail and deported.  He is quite grateful for everything we did, and stays in contact often.  He is not a "hardened criminal" or "dangerous" in any sense of those words.  
I was thinking of telling him to get a cab to khaosan since there are English speakers there. We are going to the detention center today so will see what we can find out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

What do you expect the Thais to do with him? He is just a Thai comming back to Thailand

Thailand doesn't have a social net, so if he doesn't have money he will have to sleep on the street

The first thing he should do is to get a Thai ID card if he doesn't have one yet, this is probably required when going to be officially employed somewhere, and while doing this he should try to find a job.

I think the first thing that should be done is to contact Thai embassy or one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. They may be able to help him since is a Thai citizen.
Does he have a Thai passport ? He would need that or a certificate of identity when he enters Thailand.
I assume he has had permanent residence in the US for all the years he was there. There is a appeal process for the deportation order.
No passport unless one is going to be provided. Not sure if he is trying to appeal but will find out.

11 minutes ago, stinkerbell said:

Of course he will try to find some odd jobs and is a hard worker.

Other problem is that he is diabetic and will need to get his medicines right away.

As a Thai he can get free treatment in the government hospital which is responsible for the area where he is registered (after he is registered and has his Thai id card).

So at the beginning he probably has to buy it himself.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the first thing that should be done is to contact Thai embassy or one of the official consulates in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. They may be able to help him since is a Thai citizen.

Does he have a Thai passport ? He would need that or a certificate of identity when he enters Thailand.

I assume he has had permanent residence in the US for all the years he was there. There is a appeal process for the deportation order.

It is possible that he will actually make his way to Ubon as that is where his mother is from. Could be some distant relatives still around.

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

As a Thai he can get free treatment in the government hospital which is responsible for the area where he is registered (after he is registered and has his Thai id card).

So at the beginning he probably has to buy it himself.

How does he go about getting registered?

14 hours ago, stinkerbell said:

His mother became a US citizen after he turned 18 and he never bothered to get naturalized and he was never legally adopted by his American stepdad.  

This sounds horrendous. Is there anything more that could be done from the US end of things, such as to initiate naturalization or adoption proceedings (if his stepfather is willing) and to lobby on his behalf there? Are there legal precedents where similar cases are overturned, and does he have US legal representation?

Throwing a non-speaker onto the streets in Thailand without even an ID card is close to barbaric, if he doesn't have someone this end to give him food and shelter for the first few months at least. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stinkerbell said:

How does he go about getting registered?

He has to be registered in a house book, and then there is a specific government hospital responsible for this area where he can get free treatment.

Treatment in any other government hospital is only free for Thais if it's an emergency.

This person was born in Thailand, right? Where? Is there a local birth record?

How was this person transported to the U.S.? On a valid visa? If so, what type of visa?

What is this person's current status in the U.S.? Are they being held at a detention facility? Have they been released pending a hearing? Arranging legal representation in the U.S. might be the best short-term option, but so much is unknown about this individual's case.

I guess I'd be surprised if this person could be deported to Thailand without the approval of the Thai government/MFA, and their representatives in Washington, DC? I mean the U.S. isn't like Thailand, smuggling ~ 100 Uighers back to China ziptied to the seats with black bags over their heads.

Based in the President's pronouncments Friday, we should probably be preparing for quite a few more Thais to be rounded up and re-patriated. 

• Like 2

This does not sound right. If the person entered USA legally and staying on a resident permit (green card), he cannot be arbitrarily deported for a crime. Did he seek the help of a lawyer in the USA? As per as staying illegally (after a legal entry), yes he can be deported for a crime. A person who has stayed for 40-year, it is very rare and only a recent phenomenon. 

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

This does not sound right. If the person entered USA legally and staying on a resident permit (green card), he cannot be arbitrarily deported for a crime. Did he seek the help of a lawyer in the USA? As per as staying illegally (after a legal entry), yes he can be deported for a crime. A person who has stayed for 40-year, it is very rare and only a recent phenomenon. 

Yes he can if convicted. I personally know a Thai person in his 40's who was tossed out of the US about 12 years ago. 

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This person was born in Thailand, right? Where? Is there a local birth record?

How was this person transported to the U.S.? On a valid visa? If so, what type of visa?

What is this person's current status in the U.S.? Are they being held at a detention facility? Have they been released pending a hearing? Arranging legal representation in the U.S. might be the best short-term option, but so much is unknown about this individual's case.

I guess I'd be surprised if this person could be deported to Thailand without the approval of the Thai government/MFA, and their representatives in Washington, DC? I mean the U.S. isn't like Thailand, smuggling ~ 100 Uighers back to China ziptied to the seats with black bags over their heads.

Based in the President's pronouncments Friday, we should probably be preparing for quite a few more Thais to be rounded up and re-patriated. 

He arrived with his US military stepdad and Thai mother so assume as a military dependent.  All papers related to that are long gone.  Parents divorced and no one kept anything (yes, I know...).  The biggest issue right now is anyone proving that he is a Thai national with no papers.  No papers will make it hard to get Thai ID.  Sounds like they (ICE?) are still trying to find hospital birth records to prove this.  So maybe he's in luck there.  The flip side is that they could keep him in the detention center for a very long time.  

Yes, Trump will try to deport anyone if he can.  His sister has the same situation but she has stayed out of trouble.  Yes, it's been suggested that she get U.S. citizenship but she just shrugs her shoulders. 

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes he can if convicted. I personally know a Thai person in his 40's who was tossed out of the US about 12 years ago. 

Yes, the U.S. is within their rights to deport him however unfair it seems especially for the nonviolent nature of his crime, so we are just trying to help make the transition easier for him when the time comes.

So he's 45 years old. Culturally he's an American; the same as taking any American who's never been to Thailand and just droppin' him in to fend for himself. He'll never make it, without help. Very little english is spoken here. A life of poverty awaits.

1 minute ago, stinkerbell said:

Working that angle.  Mom is elderly now with dementia so this could be interesting.

Might contact her former husband if still alive as he might have some information to share and believe you mentioned a sister and why would she have the same problem if born in USA (or are you saying both were born in Thailand and traveled with mother)?

If appeal possible would go that route first as this surely ranks as cruel if not unusual punishment after 40 years stay (even for the current crowd in DC).

• Like 2