What Food Could You Never Eat?

4 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

Pla-ra has to be the worst smell ever. Never got so far as to taste it, never will. Its rotten fish fermenting. The un-cooked or 'mai suk' is even worse. Ever experienced someone cooking up a batch of the un-cooked version ? I have but never again. 

I do allow Som Tum in the house with cooked Pla-ra in it btw.

By comparison I'm a great lover of Durian......We happily buy 10kg at a time.

10kg of Durian at this time would be about Bht 3000 or more.

20 hours ago, faraday said:

So glad there wasn't another 'C' in there....

Tried that dish (c instead of second o) in the Philippines; apparently it's called soup number 5.  A bit chewy and no special flavor but supposed to have remarkable effect on libido.  Can't say I noticed a big difference!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, 473geo said:

If eating the available resource was safe and ensured survival then I would find a way to devour it, grass no problem, just thin leafed lettuce.

You are not a ruminant. You can't digest grass. Nettle soup is on the menu. 

For me it's snails, bugs and sea urchins. 

22 hours ago, SteveK said:

Tuna mayonnaise sandwich. Once it gets within smelling distance I can feel every atom in my body being repulsed and my stomach starting to spasm, the smell is so utterly rancid, I literally wouldn't eat one for a billion dollars. 

tuna.jpg

Billion dollars.... bet you would !

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

You are not a ruminant. You can't digest grass. Nettle soup is on the menu. 

For me it's snails, bugs and sea urchins. 

I tried nettle soup, I didn't chop up the nettle leaves, the soup was ok, but the leaves tasted as I would expect cloth to taste

When we were young we often chewed on a particular grass stem didn't actually eat the grass

Edited by 473geo

23 hours ago, SteveK said:

You mean the somtam with pla-ra? That stuff really does stink, smells quite like cat shit. Indeed the first time I smelled it the people at the market couldn't figure out why I kept looking at the bottom of my shoes. I have tasted the somtam though and it doesn't taste like it smells, much like fish sauce - even Worcestershire sauce smells a bit wrong but tastes wonderful.

It's hard to comprehend why fermented fish sauce is still used in the 21st century?

If they'd use it to torture people there's no better tool to make people talk.

Mossad and FBI, BKA and LKA, use Papaya Pok Pok Lao style and you'll hear all you want to know. 

What exactly is the purpose of the question...I was imagining myself driving down Pattaya Klang and a guy on a motorbike I never seen before in my life whizzes pass me and shouts in through my window...."I hate prunes"....?

(wish I had a "sticker" at this point to add).

• Like 1

If there was one food I couldn’t eat if my life depended on it, and my life depended on it, I’d pretend it was durian, and force it down anyway; you can always vomit later, if that’s appropriate

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

If you were in that position of course you would eat brussels unless you are stupid

My understanding is that brussel sprouts give you tremendous wind; Ican’t see why anyone would not eat them, bar suffering a complete loss of sense of humour

• Haha 1

Been a vegan for over 29 years. Ate most of the common meats in my young life, but never ate any sea life of any sort. My life depending on it, imagine I could choke down just about anything to survive...including opossum! :vampire:

6 hours ago, Jonnapat said:

Funnily enough I like all the items the poster said he would never eat. 

And they all have great health qualities. 

That's true, but I still could not eat them.