Would you consider employing someone with visible tattoos

Inked In Asia

I really don´t like tattoos and my and my wife´s skin are virgin. If I would hire someone it would depend if she/he can have a tattoo if she/he has contact with people and in which age, what position (bank or restaurant) and how large the tattoos are. If I would have the choice between two people for one position, I would choose the one without tattoo.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on what kind of tattoos and how many. Sleeves etc are fine, but if they have face or neck tattoos I wouldn't hire because it would make me question their ability to perform the job responsibly and consistently.

Of course not every job is the same - tattoos would be more acceptable in nightlife and/or security positions than they would be at a bank. At the end of the day I would care about the bottom line and whether they would make me money (good worker) or lose me money (drive customers away).

On a related note- tattoos actually do make me form an opinion about the opposite sex: if a girl is heavily tattooed I usually assume she is or used to be a hooker. (I'm not talking about one tattoo - I'm talking about girls with full back tattoos and sleeves, etc.)

On a related note- tattoos actually do make me form an opinion about the opposite sex: if a girl is heavily tattooed I usually assume she is or used to be a hooker. (I'm not talking about one tattoo - I'm talking about girls with full back tattoos and sleeves, etc.)

Used to go to a bank in Berlin, and two of the female tellers had numerous tattoos

If you hire a bouncer or motorcycle mechanic, fine. If you hire someone who is only in the back of the office that should also be no problem (in most cases). But for anybody with customer contact it will make some customers uncomfortable. So why should a company hire somebody when they know that x percent of their customers won't like it?

I think a good example is Chris Ramsay. When I saw him first in a video I wasn't exactly impressed by the way he looked.

But after watching a couple of his videos I am impressed. He is a smart guy with good ideas who thinks out of the box.

I am sure the questions is in many cases: How long to you have to "know" that guy with the tattoos to accept him the way he is.

For many heavily tattooed people that time will be more than employees or customers are willing to spend...

10 hours ago, Inked In Asia said:

a disservice by not considering a potential employee who has visible tattoos? you could be missing out on a gem, would you be prepared to overlook a visibly tattooed person?

obviously you don't know Ice who dances at Crazy House.

It depends on how many and where they're placed. Once people start putting ink on their face and neck, I really have to question their judgement and wouldn't consider anyone like that. Same goes with the ones who put metal on their face -- I squirm with discomfort when talking to someone with pierced eyebrows, lips, etc. Seriously, I'm really creeped-out by facial metal. 

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

she looks about 10 and he looks like an criminal. 

Actually he now go jail 3 year and 4 month. 

1 hour ago, Inn Between said:

It depends on how many and where they're placed. Once people start putting ink on their face and neck, I really have to question their judgement and wouldn't consider anyone like that. Same goes with the ones who put metal on their face -- I squirm with discomfort when talking to someone with pierced eyebrows, lips, etc. Seriously, I'm really creeped-out by facial metal. 

i know plenty of tattoo enthusiast that are a bit crazy but they still wouldn't do the neck/face because they understand they live in society. They arent stupid.

I would never hire someone with anything visible above the neck, it shows narcissism and lack of logic.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

you know all the good girls … 

I personally hate tattoos on females, any tattoos, placed anywhere,  it's a real turn off for me, as much as them smoking, which is the other big no no for me.  

To quote Lee Jones, author of some Texas Holdem books,  "love to play with people that have tattoos because that means they are stupid".   A bit extreme.  I think Tattoos in general are not pleasant to look at and put more people off that have money.  So if that were the clientele my business was looking for, one might be inclined to not employ.  Now as far as "fitting in" with the other employees, well that is why there are dress codes and appearance codes at work.   Everybody conforms.  You don't make the team members cater to an individual.  This facet of grouping and working together seems to constantly be ignored by the individuals that want to express themselves.

Regardless of how modern and progressive we might view ourselves, most peoples still make hard and fast judgements at first sight, depending on their personal experiences, knowledge or failings.

new hires in any job, need to be able to be easily excepted into any workplace, so choosing people to fill vacancies, also need to include consideration of how they will impact on the current status quo.

A brikies laborer i once saw, with a tattooed image, amongst many others, of Hitler across his shoulder blade, certainly made me feel uncomfortable, and Inflicting that kind of discomfort (or fear, in some cases) on your workforce or clients, is ill advised. He also had other images, some disturbing, which were still visible when properly clad... so I would vote no, as a general rule of thumb, as regardless of any growth in popularity, it’s still unusual, and not that long since being something you’d expect to see in circus sideshow exhibitions.

That said, Non visible ink.... no problems... these will not effect others opinions or interactions with clients etc....  I had a CEO, many years ago, who told me to loose a wee earring that I wore, if I wished to be taken seriously by other senior personnel. The lesson stuck, even if old fashioned now.

43 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

can't think of one intelligent person I ever met with a tattoo, mainly for forces, criminals, tarts, idiots and kids

I know many.

I worked in a mid size law firm. 2 male solicitors had visible tattoos. 3 female solicitors had tattoos.

There was one high court judge in Australia who had tattoos and a lot of public prosecutors have them.

Simple google search shows some prominent tattoo people. 

T Roosevelt

J Trudeau

Winston Churchill

George Pratt Schultz

many others

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

can't think of one intelligent person I ever met with a tattoo, mainly for forces, criminals, tarts, idiots and kids

You must know very few people.

seen many well qualified health professionals lawyers and police to name a few professions, as well as one commercial airline pilot 

27 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

You must know very few people.

seen many well qualified health professionals lawyers and police to name a few professions, as well as one commercial airline pilot 

Doctor and lawyer are professions, police officer and pilot are occupations

10 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Any occupation which requires study and qualifications is generally considered by definition a “profession” , I would think that seeing as a commercial pilot generally after years of training and study is considered a professional occupation,  and many police officers not only have certificate qualifications, but frequently graduate and post graduate degrees they too are professionals

sports people who are salaried are also considered professional as opposed to unpaid amateurs.

5 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Any occupation which requires study and qualifications is generally considered by definition a “profession” , I would think that seeing as a commercial pilot generally after years of training and study is considered a professional occupation,  and many police officers not only have certificate qualifications, but frequently graduate and post graduate degrees they too are professionals

sports people who are salaried are also considered professional as opposed to unpaid amateurs.

That is merely your opinion, here is the classic definition - "A Profession is a disciplined group of individuals who adhere to ethical standards and who hold themselves out as, and are accepted by the public as possessing special knowledge and skills in a widely recognised body of learning derived from research, education and training at a high level, and who are prepared to apply this knowledge and exercise these skills in the interest of others.  It is inherent in the definition of a Profession that a code of ethics governs the activities of each Profession.  Such codes require behaviour and practice beyond the personal moral obligations of an individual.  They define and demand high standards of behaviour in respect to the services provided to the public and in dealing with professional colleagues.  Further, these codes are enforced by the Profession and are acknowledged and accepted by the community." http://www.professions.com.au/about-us/what-is-a-professional

12 hours ago, TommyTucker said:

IMG_5470.JPG

Another gentleman who could save your life!

Less is more!

I am not saying that all tattooed people are incapable of doing a worthwhile and highly skilled  job, but they considerably reduce their chances of getting that job, and acceptability among colleagues and the public, if they have visible tatts, regardless of their experience, skills,  knowledge and ability.

6 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

As a pilot, both military and commercial, aviation was/is my profession, piloting my occupation (job). 

On 7/18/2019 at 9:57 PM, Pilotman said:

It would depend very much on the job in question, the person them self and the nature of the tattoos

If I wanted someone killed , I would certainly look favorably at heavily tattooed aplicans.

I said IF !! argue with me and you are going on my list too:w00t: 

On a holiday in 2010 in the Dominican Republic, I met a young American guy who was a tattoo artist and didn't have a spare inch that I could see anywhere. He was truly scary at first sight and told me he had difficulty talking to anyone in the resort as most seemed to want to run a mile. He turned out to be a very intelligent, normal guy whose idea of a holiday was to meet up with renowned tattoo artists around the world. We ate together several nights in the resort, had a few beers and generally got on quite well. He did however take off alone every night for the local brothel.

In my own career I have done hundreds of recruitment interviews. Unless visible from the neck up, or having HATE across the knuckle, I would have no problem in offering the best candidate the job, mostly in support positions, so customer facing. Have to consider the customers. 

1 minute ago, Saltire said:

I met a young American guy who was a tattoo artist and didn't have a spare inch that I could see anywhere. ... He turned out to be a very intelligent, normal guy

The classic definition of an oxymoron

16 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

As a pilot, both military and commercial, aviation was/is my profession, piloting my occupation (job). 

A profession is, by definition, self-regulating. As an employee you were clearly not a member of a profession

Archived