Thai wife of seriously ill British man threatened with deportation as husband ‘fears for his life’

webfact

2 hours ago, gbswales said:

I agree with the original poster and I am living in the UK - at least this is the general direction it seems to be heading in if you look at who the clown (Johnson) has appointed to his cabinet.  I am stuck here for health reasons but if I could get out before the brexit mess concludes I would.

Think this was done before BoJo go to number 10

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Dario said:

I wonder what our good God up in the sky is thinking when he is witnessing how some people behave on Earth ...

oh dear. Try humanity being awful to each other.

2 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Yes, I'm afraid that the UKVI/Border Force, not the FCO as one member thinks, have seemed to show no  compassion in this case.

Yarls Wood Immigration Removal Centre is near Bedford and the local MP, Alistair Burt, until recently a Foreign Office Minister, takes a great deal of interest in Yarls Wood and those detained in it, I suspect it was he that challenged this ladies removal, and that's why it's been put on hold.
I'm afraid that Enforcement Teams go for soft targets in order to meet their targets, yes, this lady had overstayed her visa, but hadn't gone under the radar, she was trying to extend the stay of her visit visa, which isn't strictly allowed, but it can be done in very limited circumstances, and I believe her case isn't one of them.
I'm also suprised this lady has been detained, she's not a flight risk and whilst one of the main critera for detention is that she's removable, which she is, there is the option of reporting to the UKBA Officials at LHR, I'm wondering if she may have previously failed to report, in which case her detention would be lawful.

It's not clear if the husband has returned to the UK on a permanent basis, in which case he'd be allowed to use the NHS for free, or was simply visiting, in which case he's reliant on insurance, either way, unless he has insurance in Thailand, he wouldn't be covered here. 

I'm afraid that whilst this lady may have been subjected to the letter of the law, it beggars belief that she should be required to travel back to Thailand to apply for another visa.
I wish them both well.   

it's obvious what the right thing to do in this case is.

why can't a senior official or several take a decision and simply grant the extension on humanitarian grounds?

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Topdoc said:

"They came to the UK last May, with a plan to go back to Thailand after Ms Leonardi’s six-month tourist visa expired."

Under the circumstances, she should obviously be allowed to stay in the UK to look after her husband but would a foreigner on a tourist visa in Thailand be allowed the same?

Actually yes.

But you have to plead special circumstances and immigration officers gladly will extend or provide you with a new visa for a few months. 

In the UK they should have applied for extending their visa for this reason as well and I don't think they even bothered going through the correct channels.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

In the article linked by the OP, Mr. Leonardi keeps mentioning having a seizure, and needing someone to help if that happens (nothing about needing help with getting his kidney treatments) 

The people I have known who have been diagnosed with epilepsy never had a seizure again, once they started taking medicine for it. 

Also wondering how he kept his UK health insurance if he lived in Thailand for 15 years?

Wish he and his wife the best, article says she can re-apply for long stay VISA

Edited by Skallywag
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

The marriage laws were implemented to stop unemployed people from getting mail order brides 

And also to stop those working a 40 hour week on minimum wage (£17076.80pa gross).

Financial requirement currently £18600pa for spouse to enter.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paulswebb said:

I think that English immigration is getting more like Thai immigration every day. Difference is Thai officialdom does not like foreigners whereas English immigration does not like the English.

British Immigration or UK Immigration.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Topdoc said:

"They came to the UK last May, with a plan to go back to Thailand after Ms Leonardi’s six-month tourist visa expired."

Under the circumstances, she should obviously be allowed to stay in the UK to look after her husband but would a foreigner on a tourist visa in Thailand be allowed the same?

No

If he owns a house in the UK it a win situation for UK government because with nobody to take care of him he will be put into a care home or hospice and the uk government will take his house to cover the cost

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, randy723 said:

If America can let over 12 million illegal stay in Amsrica then the UK who also has many illegals in its country, surely they can let one honest lady stay and take care of her husband if not then Thailand should kick all the people from the UK out of Thailand

Oh well said,

Did you sit up all night thinking of that Gem of an idea?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, animalmagic said:

Read the article completely - came to uk last May on 6 month tourist visa, planned to go back to Thailand after.  Husband fell ill during that 6 months and she applied for longer term status.  Application rejected 3 months later.  Detained while reporting to Home Office not working at a Thai restaurant as you claim.

While the Home Office accepted the couple had a “genuine and subsisting” relationship, it said the treatment for Mr Leonardi’s medical condition was available in Thailand, adding: “Even if this was not the case, it is open to [Mr Leonardi] to remain in the UK to receive the medical treatment he needs, while [Ms Leonardi] returns to Thailand to obtain the correct entry clearance.”

Home Office wants him to apply for a Thai visa, with all its attendant paperwork, Imm Dept rigmarole and costs to go and seek medical treatment in a foreign country.  Imm Dept here would love that!  Alternatively his wife and carer is expected to go back to Thailand and apply for a visa from the British Embassy with nobody there to assist.

Wives of UK nationals are not given passports, that stopped in the early 80's; now they must apply to stay and the couple must show an income of approx. 18k stg per year (hope my recollection is correct).

When an English friend of mine married a Thai woman he was told that she could apply for an entry visa to the UK after they had been married for two years (to show sincerity in the marriage). This was about 20 years ago and they now live in England. I don't know if there were other considerations (finance etc.). 

Edited by TKDfella

Although I feel for the husband if the wife was on overstay she should be removed. Same thing would happen in Thailand, why should double standards be allowed to exist? Reciprocity should be demanded. A bit off topic - but for a long time Chinese cars could enter Thailand freely, while Thais faced tremendous bureaucracy to drive their cars the other way. Then in 2016 the Thais put a stop to this practice, requiring the same of the Chinese as they ask of the Thais. After 7 years of free-riding, Chinese cars now need guides and permits to enter.

Why can't the UK do the same? It makes a mockery of the system otherwise. The only thing I think that should be considered is - the Thai wive receives a 2-3 month extension to look after her husband then gets deported later, either after he passes or his condition improves.

On the other hand, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here and the Thai government may actually have compassion in similar circumstances as a poster before me mentioned.

• Sad 1

If she really was taking care of the guy. I can only assume "Boris The Bear" UKs new PM has taken over while the Wife? Is in detention.

All joking aside she should be allowed to get an extension to take care of the guy and also allowed to earn a living so that she is no burden on the UK economy! No point in her sending back the pounds to the mother, father brothers and sisters in issan coz by the time it arrived its going to be worth Ha Baht.555

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, overherebc said:

British Immigration or UK Immigration.

Their seems to be often a difference. My stepdaughter (Singaporean) who lives for the past 5 years in London had no problems in Scotland in her stay for almost 12 years in the UK. Immigration can be complicated if she keeps following her husband back to the UK after he has a few years overseas assignment. 

Also she is a Singaporean she would love to have one day Scottish citizenship and they look forward Scotland leaves the UK one day. 90% of all regulations comes from London and not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Interesting times ahead specially with Boris Trump and what will happen to the United Kingdom in the next 12 month 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gbswales said:

I agree with the original poster and I am living in the UK - at least this is the general direction it seems to be heading in if you look at who the clown (Johnson) has appointed to his cabinet.  I am stuck here for health reasons but if I could get out before the brexit mess concludes I would.

He is not a clown but a "blondie". Looks male version of Debbie Harry ????‍♀️

• Haha 1

OKay there seems to be a great deal of confusion they have been married since 2015 and were on again off again relationship for 10-15 years (this part confuses me people ususaly know how long they have been going together)  

Anyway the other part that i do not understand is if there was an issue and she was refused a few months ago why were they not in court trying to get an emergency visa for her.  Surely all these bleeding heart liberal outfits could have done that for her and saved eh aggravation.

10 minutes ago, kevinmartyn said:

If she really was taking care of the guy. I can only assume "Boris The Bear" UKs new PM has taken over while the Wife? Is in detention.

All joking aside she should be allowed to get an extension to take care of the guy and also allowed to earn a living so that she is no burden on the UK economy! No point in her sending back the pounds to the mother, father brothers and sisters in issan coz by the time it arrived its going to be worth Ha Baht.555

If you remember the apologies to the Carribean origin lady and people UK home dept had to do? They tried to remove them delibrately and it was some months back.

2 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

OKay there seems to be a great deal of confusion they have been married since 2015 and were on again off again relationship for 10-15 years (this part confuses me people ususaly know how long they have been going together)  

Anyway the other part that i do not understand is if there was an issue and she was refused a few months ago why were they not in court trying to get an emergency visa for her.  Surely all these bleeding heart liberal outfits could have done that for her and saved eh aggravation.

London Mayor is a ex-champion in this 

16 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

When an English friend of mine married a Thai woman he was told that she could apply for an entry visa to the UK after they had been married for two years (to show sincerity in the marriage). This was about 20 years ago and they now live in England. I don't know if there were other considerations (finance etc.). 

Quite possible, and used as a filter to stop marriages of convenience.  I think it was the British Nationality Act of around 1984 that stopped automatic granting of passport to a spouse and requiring a visa to enter and take up residence with that spouse.  Recent developments have seen the requirement to show an income that would support both before the visa is granted; the actor who played Mickey Pierce on Only Fools and Horses was featured on here recently as having suffered under this policy.

Basically a Brit who marries a spouse from a non EU country has to jump through hoops, whereas anyone from an EU country can move in with the whole family.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, thirdleg said:

What has Brexit got to do with racism and fascism.

The UK is one of the most tolerant countries in the world and fought against fascism, losing thousands upon thousands of lives.

I think you need to have a think about that. 

Come to Thailand and see some real racism and fascism where foreigner's movements are tracked every 24 hours by a Junta govt

Correct me if I am wrong, but as I remember it the whole idea of brexit was to stop, or take control of immigration and that to me looks a little bit like racism.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1