Thai wife of seriously ill British man threatened with deportation as husband ‘fears for his life’

webfact

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

but having paid 49 years NI

So from age 16 to age 65 you paid into National insurance.  The OP is only 62 so must still be paying.

Did you move to thailand after age 65 or continue payments while living here?

I am from the U.S. and have not paid into the U.S. social security or medicare system since age 62, yet will still be eligible for medicare at 65 years. 

Just curious how the health care system works in England for those who have moved abroad.  

2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Entirely his prerogative as a Brit.

Do people not read previous posts? It isn't a prerogative. Because once you've been out of the country for 183 days you lose the right to get NHS treatment unless it's an emergency. The idiot was diagnosed in 2003 with having a terminal illness, as well as suffering from seizures, but continues to commute to Thailand and gets married in 2015. That doesn't sound like a clever thing to do for someone on his last legs. You make yer bed you lay in it.. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Skallywag said:

So from age 16 to age 65 you paid into National insurance.  The OP is only 62 so must still be paying.

Did you move to thailand after age 65 or continue payments while living here?

I am from the U.S. and have not paid into the U.S. social security or medicare system since age 62, yet will still be eligible for medicare at 65 years. 

Just curious how the health care system works in England for those who have moved abroad.  

It was the case that NI credits were automatically made from the age of 60 to 65 if you were not working. I retired and came to Thailand when I was 62 and my NI record shows 49 years and one incomplete year, virtually the maximum that can be achieved.

The health care system(NHS) in the UK is residency based and even if you have contributed throughout your life if you cannot prove residency you are expected to pay. I still have to pay income tax to the UK which supports the NHS

15 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Do people not read previous posts? It isn't a prerogative. Because once you've been out of the country for 183 days you lose the right to get NHS treatment unless it's an emergency. The idiot was diagnosed in 2003 with having a terminal illness, as well as suffering from seizures, but continues to commute to Thailand and gets married in 2015. That doesn't sound like a clever thing to do for someone on his last legs. You make yer bed you lay in it.. 

Of course it is a prerogative. Whether you like it or not it is right of every UK citizen to take up residency in the UK.

I take it you believe that self harm should remove any entitlement to NHS services, one way of curing the waiting lists.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

Of course it is a prerogative. Whether you like it or not it is right of every UK citizen to take up residency in the UK.

Go tell that to the ISIS lady that got refused entry a couple of months ago. She'll tell you different.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

I take it you believe that self harm should remove any entitlement to NHS services

What you on about?

On 7/31/2019 at 5:19 PM, Odisan said:

When common-sense loses out to faceless bureaucracy.

But she has to obey the law right?  we do here too right?  obviously tons of sympathy and maybe they can issue another visa until hubby passes away but you can't go around saying no visa = no problem. Hope it works out for them.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2019 at 10:57 AM, Topdoc said:

"They came to the UK last May, with a plan to go back to Thailand after Ms Leonardi’s six-month tourist visa expired."

Under the circumstances, she should obviously be allowed to stay in the UK to look after her husband but would a foreigner on a tourist visa in Thailand be allowed the same?

No !

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Go tell that to the ISIS lady that got refused entry a couple of months ago. She'll tell you different.

What a stupid comment, I said it was the right of every UK citizen, in a unique case she had her UK citizenship taken away, different ball game.

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

What a stupid comment, I said it was the right of every UK citizen, in a unique case she had her UK citizenship taken away, different ball game.

Get yer facts right. She hasn't had her citizenship taken away yet. She has a right of appeal and was granted Legal Aid on 15 April 2019. Condition of obtaining legal aid is that one must be a UK citizen. 

12 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Get yer facts right. She hasn't had her citizenship taken away yet. She has a right of appeal and was granted Legal Aid on 15 April 2019. Condition of obtaining legal aid is that one must be a UK citizen. 

Exactly as I said, if citizenship reinstated she will have the right to residency, as has every UK citizen.

One can only hope that residency is at her Majesty's pleasure.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 7:38 PM, evadgib said:

Where exactly do they fit into all this?

I take it you are referring to the Foreign Office as "they"? Somewhere I had read they were involved but if I am wrong then it must be another Govt Dept and my comment still applies to that dept.

In fact my comment applies to any person or organisation who cannot think outside the square! ????

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Exactly as I said, if citizenship reinstated she will have the right to residency, as has every UK citizen.

No. I believe there have been 100 UK citizens who have been refused the right of entry prior.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

On 7/31/2019 at 7:09 AM, RichardColeman said:

Heartless - yes.

BUT

She is an overstayer on her visa and has refused to leave. If it was allowed without a fight then hundreds of thousands would do the same thing - I would use it myself ! 

And what if she gets pregnant ? Is she allowed to stay now as she has given birth to a UK citizen with nobody to take care of them ? 

My own view, is that if you can prove you have a wife of say 10-15 years, and lived with such wherever in the world that visa regulations should not apply to you if one of you are a UK citizen. That way you would know you could relax knowing in old age you could return to the UK. In cases of sickness - like this - then temporary 'end of life' year long visas should be allowed, but with conditions applied.

it was the rampant "bogus marriage"scam that has led to the tightening up on immigration.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2019 at 12:52 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

a lot of ex pats returning to blighty thinking they,re going to get free nhs treatment and a council house on the state are in for a shock,paradoxically the housing shortage is down to the vast numbers of migrants in the uk.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 6:08 AM, Baerboxer said:

An unwarranted comparison which doesn't change the context of the posters assessment of Britain over the centuries.

English law, by which I'm guessing you are referring to common law principles has influenced many countries but far less than the codified Napoleonic French law system. 

If you were a country that was forcibly included in the British Empire you may well have an opinion of Britain that compares them to a fascist racist entity similar of other Empire builders.

However, this OP is about the current Home Office and their somewhat insensitive and select application of the current rules. May was responsible for much of this whilst Home Secretary. 

Had the lady been a billionaire crook or illegal economic migrant she'd probably been treated better!

The annoying thing is this again demonstrates the lack of rights a British citizen has, i,e, the husband has, in modern Britain as successive Tory governments seek to differentiate rights based on wealth classifcations,

it was the misuse of these "rights" i.e  bogus marriage industry  that has led to this.

14 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

No. I believe there have been 100 UK citizens who have been refused the right of entry prior.

I am not particularly interested in what you think that you know, it does not change the fact that the OP had the "prerogative" to return to the UK and get treated by the NHS.

12 hours ago, kingdong said:

a lot of ex pats returning to blighty thinking they,re going to get free nhs treatment and a council house on the state are in for a shock,paradoxically the housing shortage is down to the vast numbers of migrants in the uk.

Always blame the migrants, the housing shortage could't possibly be due to an inadequate house building programme by successive governments.

Brexit has not only killed off migration it will in fact reverse it, the resulting outcome will be a rise in net migration. It is the UK that will get the shock, do you really think that the doctors will ignore the ageing expats in favour of younger healthier patients.

32 minutes ago, kingdong said:

so the over 2 million migrants from the eu have made no impact on britains housing stocks?

That did not happen overnight and if the demand was there the government should have addressed it. They should have also addressed the other services as demand increased but austerity was the name of the game.

Boris now thinks he can buy votes by putting back some of the money they took away.

4 hours ago, kingdong said:

so the over 2 million migrants from the eu have made no impact on britains housing stocks?

Then there were all the illegals Blair turned a blind eye to. My mate in the UK married one to help stop her being deported. When arrested she had a ni number not entitled to, a job amusingly working with refugees and a housing assoc flat not entitled to. When arrested they let her keep the property, how she got a good place in a few months when even then in the 90's legitimate singles had to wait for years in London is a mystery. After 3 years she took the 16k to move out of a place never entitled to and bought her own flat now worth over 300k. Not surprising France is full of Africans like her waiting for their chance.

Edited by Orton Rd

On 7/31/2019 at 11:33 AM, thirdleg said:

What on earth are you talking about!! I think you have the UK and Thailand mixed up.

Becoming? Hundreds of years colonizing ethnicities all over the globe. It seems he is only on wrong in thinking that this mentality is recent in the UK.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I don't think most of the bogus marraige scams involved expats who had been overseas for 10 years or so.

@Thaiwrath

It's much more likely they involved resident UK people marrying non UK people to allow them to stay and get around their illegal status.

See Ortonrd's post on it.

Most unlikely a UK resident would come to Thailand, get married and stay married for 10 to 15 years to assist a Thai to get into UK.

Edited by overherebc

What an arrogant post.
Theresa May as Home Secretary introduced the hostile environment with a set of regulations devoid of any provision for compassionate circumstances such as this. "Caring" introduces a different and complex perspective.
I met my wife in 2005, married in 2008 and have lived in our own home in Chonburi ever since. On Tuesday we visited a friend of my wife's in Siriraj hospital, she has water in the lungs and been given 6 months to live, treatment is in the order of 50K a month in an ordinary open ward, nothing special.
On leaving the hospital my wife said what would I do if something similar were to happen to me. I would have little choice but to return to the UK and "sponge" off the NHS, but having paid 49 years NI I would disagree with the terminology. The regulations would prohibit my wife coming for any length of time as state pension is well below income threshold. so I would effectively be on my own. This would in due course probably lead to being treated as an inpatient in a hospital wasting resources rather than cared for in the community.  Of course those with an immigration obsession have little regard for the workings of the NHS and social care, but it really is time things changed and decisions regarding immigration status on a caring basis were decided by doctors rather than bureaucrats.

Please forgive me as I could be wrong on this - do you not have to stay for at least 6 months in UK before you are entitled to the NHS - irrespective of any NI paid - if you left the country ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app