Reasons to Stay in Thailand

geronimo

8 hours ago, geronimo said:

Here are a few of the reasons why Thailand is my home

• Great climate (I hate the cold)
  • Fantastic food
  • Wonderful people
  • Inexpensive when compared to the west (yes it is getting more expensive, but so is everywhere)
  • Lovely ladies (no one will disagree with that one)

I agree with all of this, however you could literally say the same things about the Philippines or Cambodia. They aren't unique to Thailand. Positive things that ARE unique to Thailand:

- World-class infrastructure. Light years ahead of other countries in the region.

- Great condos, relatively cheap even compared to the region.

- Generally safer.

- Good cell and internet connectivity. Much better than others, especially Philippines.

I'm not sure about inexpensive, though. Compared to the west - yes - but compared to other countries in the region, with the exception of housing, Thailand and Bangkok in particular is significantly more expensive. The strong baht isn't helping either.

• Like 1

At last, a positive thread on Thailand. I was beginning to think I was weird for being wonderfully happy and content living a happy and joyous life here. Of course it’s not perfect, but where is? Can some things be frustrating? Hell yeah! But enough to drive people to leave? No way.
I understand people’s circumstances can change, especially with exchange rates at the moment, but that doesn’t change the fact that Thailand for me is still the most pleasant country to live in. I would be gutted if my own financial circumstances forced me to leave

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

Reasons to stay:  Thai partner and his nice family; wonderful weather year-round; swimming year-round; beautiful oceanfront condo to live in; great shopping; great restaurants; great healthcare at a reasonable cost; movies in English at nice theaters; international airports close-by with interesting places to visit close-by; a relaxed lifestyle less hectic than in America; cheaper cost of living--can save more money; can wear shorts year-round; beautiful varieties of flowers year-round; safe environment; few taxes; workers are easy to find and I can afford to hire them; maid service once a week; a more active  year-round lifestyle, a nice group of expat friends; no scraping ice and snow off my car...well, those are some of my reasons to stay.  I'm sure I've forgotten some.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiguzzi said:

A different sort of freedom dude.

But you obviously don't get it.

ps, after 16 years of living here, i've never ever seen nor filled in a TM30.

Sounds like a tampon.

"

The TM030 and its underlying laws are about the obligation of a landlord (or house master, possessor, manager) to report the stay of a foreigner (non-Thai national) in his/her property. All foreigners staying in Thailand and their hosts should be very well aware of this.

The laws with regard to the TM030 and the obligation to report a foreigner's stay have been in place for some time (since 1979), but the government has started to enforce it more strictly lately, and changed some of the procedures with regards to your 90-days reporting and extension of visa".

So, as I undestand it you have never had "farrangs" as visitors over night or you have broken the law or you like me live in a district where IO just refuse to take it, happend to me last time one week ago, and the scary with that is that if they change their mind is that you who have done nothing wrong, will have to pay the fee and that you or where you lived, not have reported is enough to get you deported, it actually happend to a friend of mine. http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-the-tm-30-form-all-you-need-to-know-about-it-and-why-it-matters-to-you-p172

3 minutes ago, Parsve said:

"

The TM030 and its underlying laws are about the obligation of a landlord (or house master, possessor, manager) to report the stay of a foreigner (non-Thai national) in his/her property. All foreigners staying in Thailand and their hosts should be very well aware of this.

The laws with regard to the TM030 and the obligation to report a foreigner's stay have been in place for some time (since 1979), but the government has started to enforce it more strictly lately, and changed some of the procedures with regards to your 90-days reporting and extension of visa".

So, as I undestand it you have never had "farrangs" as visitors over night or you have broken the law or you like me live in a district where IO just refuse to take it, happend to me last time one week ago, and the scary with that is that if they change their mind is that you who have done nothing wrong, will have to pay the fee and that you or where you lived, not have reported is enough to get you deported, it actually happend to a friend of mine. http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-the-tm-30-form-all-you-need-to-know-about-it-and-why-it-matters-to-you-p172

Nobody has ever been deported for not doing a TM30 report. Why post things that are not even remotely true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Nobody has ever been deported for not doing a TM30 report. Why post things that are not even remotely true.

Well that you not know that it have happen does not say that it is not true. And it was not my friend that not have reported it was his landlord.

1 hour ago, Parsve said:

"

A friend of yours got deported for not filling in a TM30?  Without a report on ThaiVisa?  Highly unlikely methinks.  That would be front page news in Thailand.  Are you sure your friend was in Thailand?

15 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Of course, each person's reasons are going to be different.  Some are here by choice, some due economic considerations. 

What was supposed to be 2yr stint to give my middle school 1/2 Thai kids a taste of their other heritage before heading back to the US is going to end up being 6.  Since we got here, my older kids have flourished both educationally and as self-confident people.  Without the PC paranoid coloring of the culture so you are afraid to do anything, exposed to other kids from all over the world in the international school, the ability to readily jump to other countries from here in CM, and the low cost of music lessons and such (kids play multiple instruments, older son is Advanced Open Water Scuba, younger daughter Open Water AOW soon to follow) I could not give them such a start in life (on several levels) as I can from here.  Wife and I can be anywhere, have lived in SoCal 1/2 a block from the beach, Fort Collins (voted one of the best places to live in the US), a small shack in Issan (prefer the shack, nicer people), and Chiang Mai.  I have backpacked a chunk of the globe in my youth.  Not rich by any means (I have a small tax business in CA I go back to 3mo a year, aging my income for a year before bringing over) we just don't have a lot of things.  Instilling that philosophy on the kids in an environment where they see happy people with few possessions is important to us.  I can cross a street walking directly at a Thai person to ask directions and not see any real fear that person eyes.  That would not be the case in almost all of the US and says much about the Thai people in general.

The public education in FC, CO is superb with 90+% of the HS grads going on to college.  Technically great, but all the schools resemble jails in having to buzz in locked doors and metal detector just to get into the school, constant outspoken concern for student safety in front of the students, shooter on campus drills, playground equipment being eliminated due to a "chance" of injury, and elimination of any risk (so how do you learn about risk for the real world?).  The playground equip at some of the restaurants we let the younger one play on here would be considered one step away from equipment used in an abattoir in the US ????.  My barely HS kids take Grab and cabs on their own to meet up with friends whose parents also see ya gotta get out and learn about more than just what's in a book.  I would have Child Services taking away my kids in the US if we got caught bringing them up the way we have here and back in the US.

As far as cheaper here in CM, hmm, if the wife would cook every once in a while... In her defense, we did have another child here in CM (if you marry a much younger woman...) now a very active 1.5 yrs old and no nanny.  If you take the costs of all the things we do here vs Fort Collins, CO we are about break even (paying for school here, renting out the FC house) except for food.  While cheaper, we do go out many more times than if back in the US, soooo, maybe not that either.  Ya, the food.  We will all miss the food!!!  Older kids will be telling their college friends that insects were part of their diet way before it became the "in" thing.

So, from our perspective, a great place to rise more "free range" kids and a beautiful place with generally beautiful people.  Yes there are drawbacks, dealing with an immigration error on the part of the LA Thai Consulate as I type, and some of the corruption (at least the cops don't just pull you over for no reason to extort cash like in Mexico) but generally not a bad place to be on the planet.

Sorry so long, do really like living here.

Sorry to read that your wife isn't into cooking at all. Mine is almost perfect, cooks European food, Thai food, pizza and anything you can think of.

We were at a restaurant in the city and had chicken breast with bacon around, filled with cheese.

One week later she surprised me with something that was much better than the original. Please see photo....( I won't sell her, lol)

Cordon Bleu.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

A friend of yours got deported for not filling in a TM30?  Without a report on ThaiVisa?  Highly unlikely methinks.  That would be front page news in Thailand.  Are you sure your friend was in Thailand?

Yes, I am very sure, he lived in Pattaya and it was not him that not had filled in the TM 30, it was his landlord, also a farrang. He, my friend, reported his new address between two 90-days report, and the IO said it was wrong because according to their documents he was living on another spot, His old address. 

Of course, each person's reasons are going to be different.  Some are here by choice, some due economic considerations. 

What was supposed to be 2yr stint to give my middle school 1/2 Thai kids a taste of their other heritage before heading back to the US is going to end up being 6.  Since we got here, my older kids have flourished both educationally and as self-confident people.  Without the PC paranoid coloring of the culture so you are afraid to do anything, exposed to other kids from all over the world in the international school, the ability to readily jump to other countries from here in CM, and the low cost of music lessons and such (kids play multiple instruments, older son is Advanced Open Water Scuba, younger daughter Open Water AOW soon to follow) I could not give them such a start in life (on several levels) as I can from here.  Wife and I can be anywhere, have lived in SoCal 1/2 a block from the beach, Fort Collins (voted one of the best places to live in the US), a small shack in Issan (prefer the shack, nicer people), and Chiang Mai.  I have backpacked a chunk of the globe in my youth.  Not rich by any means (I have a small tax business in CA I go back to 3mo a year, aging my income for a year before bringing over) we just don't have a lot of things.  Instilling that philosophy on the kids in an environment where they see happy people with few possessions is important to us.  I can cross a street walking directly at a Thai person to ask directions and not see any real fear that person eyes.  That would not be the case in almost all of the US and says much about the Thai people in general.

The public education in FC, CO is superb with 90+% of the HS grads going on to college.  Technically great, but all the schools resemble jails in having to buzz in locked doors and metal detector just to get into the school, constant outspoken concern for student safety in front of the students, shooter on campus drills, playground equipment being eliminated due to a "chance" of injury, and elimination of any risk (so how do you learn about risk for the real world?).  The playground equip at some of the restaurants we let the younger one play on here would be considered one step away from equipment used in an abattoir in the US [emoji6].  My barely HS kids take Grab and cabs on their own to meet up with friends whose parents also see ya gotta get out and learn about more than just what's in a book.  I would have Child Services taking away my kids in the US if we got caught bringing them up the way we have here and back in the US.

As far as cheaper here in CM, hmm, if the wife would cook every once in a while... In her defense, we did have another child here in CM (if you marry a much younger woman...) now a very active 1.5 yrs old and no nanny.  If you take the costs of all the things we do here vs Fort Collins, CO we are about break even (paying for school here, renting out the FC house) except for food.  While cheaper, we do go out many more times than if back in the US, soooo, maybe not that either.  Ya, the food.  We will all miss the food!!!  Older kids will be telling their college friends that insects were part of their diet way before it became the "in" thing.

So, from our perspective, a great place to rise more "free range" kids and a beautiful place with generally beautiful people.  Yes there are drawbacks, dealing with an immigration error on the part of the LA Thai Consulate as I type, and some of the corruption (at least the cops don't just pull you over for no reason to extort cash like in Mexico) but generally not a bad place to be on the planet.

Sorry so long, do really like living here.

How do you cope with the poor air quality for part of the year in CM?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you try to remeber back, there was several reports of farrangs, staying in Thailand, that had to report where they stay about half a year ago. My friends case howewer go back to somewhere between 2015 to 2017, I am not sure when as I meet him first in  in 2018, when he was back in Thailand. In January 2019 he had to go back to his homecountry, but this time not because of IO, but because of healthproblem, that was to expensive to solve in Thailand, but he have recovered and is planning to come back in September or October,

Thailand, everything the rest of the world is not, great weather, great people, great food. After 7 years I still get the holiday feeling daily. 

Fantastic wife, 3 wonderful kids, 2 wonderful adopted kids.

Born and raised in Ireland, 28 years and two wars in Africa, Afghanistan, what can i say, I have applied for Thai citizenship.

I love it , culture & people make it all worth while.

• Like 2

Unpredictability, the heat, food, casualness, great musicians and live bands. Rock bands here are much more inviting for a passing guitarist to bash a couple of songs out with them, than they are back home. One trait one must always exhibit, is to take everything with a grain of salt.

• Like 1