Out with the backpackers in with the Chinese - Khao San Road makeover continues

webfact

52 minutes ago, webfact said:

Gone are the days of banana pancakes and fake student cards - here are the days of vendors greeting tourists with a hearty "Ni Hao Ma".

I wonder if this was their plan from the beginning?

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I spent many happy months staying in KSR in 1992, apart from when I went to Sanam Luang to find it surrounded by tanks.

It was very rare to see a Thai person there, that wasn't working. 

Sadly the Thais startled moving in, especially at Songkran, getting very aggressive and anti farang. Then the Thai night clubs came. I went back to meet a cousin in 2000 and was shocked at the way the Thai staff in restaurants tales about the guests, using obscenities, calling then dogs etc.

Gone are the days when you could sit and watch a movie free, and also watch the Israelis share a 10 baht bottle of water between 5 of them.

Sad, as it was the adventurous back packers that found Thailand in the 60s, whereas now it's middle aged men coming to meet their tee rak that they met on thailustline, and retired accountants and Scandanavian seamen.

Personally, I find many Chinese rude, and all thanks to western counties not understanding the consequences of globalization.

Israelis are still there though - you have the Chabad house and other associated businesses. Don't think they're going anywhere...despite the apparent attitudes of Thais. I attended Songkran at Khao San a few years ago. Didn't feel it had an "anti-farang" vibe at all, must be subjective. Went again to visit a friend who was staying there more recently. He of course is a backpacker and he brought along his backpacker friends. Was a pleasant enough experience but a bit unusual for me as I'm not used to such things anymore. However, if I were a backpacker I'd probably stay elsewhere and only go there during the day or evening for some shopping or dining out.

Maybe some of these apparent "anti-farang" attitudes are simply "anti-stingy" remarks. I mean, 5 people sharing a 10 Baht bottle of water? Seriously...if that doesn't get people peed off then I don't know what does.

Edited by drbeach
  • Like 2