Denied Entry at Suvarnabhumi on METV

8 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

It is time for all of us to leave the place. Good luck!

I would not read too much into this particular report for various reasons I don't wish to go into.

As far as I am concerned, Thailand currently does not even deserve the METV fee of USD 200 / or equivalent (not cheap at all actually, for a visa valid for 6 months).

I prefer to enter countries for free.

We'll see what they do in the future to deserve this money and additional spending while in the country.

Edited by lkv
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

immigration does not have the power to void visas.

I hear that  comment many times, yet also many times read of a person caught in Thailand, who perhaps has some criminal conviction, having their Visa cancelled. Perhaps they more accurately mean the Permission to Stay. 

10 hours ago, lootarzoon said:

And government wonder why tourism and then hospitality biz collapsing, TAT setting denying and positive reports of figures, we dont know were from, to the media, I am in hospitality and many of my friends suffering the same collapse like from less 30 to less 50% occupation in July against last year... Who can survive to such sudden tsunami. Good luck to all of us in AUGUST or heavy damages will come up from September. 

Is it an option to complain to the TAT and the government? They seem to take feedback rather seriously?

They’re not. For instance with a Romanian or Bulgarian passport (EU members) one can’t enter in a visa exempt, only visa on arrival. 
I never knew that. How outrageous. Why don't the EU do something about it? Bring on full European integration.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Good grief. You believed the "Land of Smiles" slogan? Where do Immigration Officers always smile? Get a grip!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Don't they call Thailand the land of smiles?  I thought they did!  Why do they say the 'land of smiles"?  I read that quote all over TVF for years.  Do you know why or what the origin of that quote is?  Have you eve seen that on TVF? Hmmm, perhaps it's just my naivety, that's why I came here, I see all the Thai girls always smile at me. Oh well, I'm blissfully in love with Thailand - whatever...LOL

Edited by mike787

40 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Don't they call Thailand the land of smiles?  I thought they did!  Why do they say the 'land of smiles"?  I read that quote all over TVF for years.  Do you know why or what the origin of that quote is?  Have you eve seen that on TVF? Hmmm, perhaps it's just my naivety, that's why I came here, I see all the Thai girls always smile at me. Oh well, I'm blissfully in love with Thailand - whatever...LOL

It was a marketing slogan thought up by the Tourism Authority of Thailand.  To be fair, it has been very successful - as some seem to believe it's true!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ukrules said:

I know an airline is fined when a person doesn't meet entry requirements, I wonder if this kind of denial also results in a fine for the airline....

If a person holds a valid visa, which the person in question seems to have done, then the airline wouldn't be fined if Thai Immigration refused admission, they would only be fined if the passenger didn't possess the normal entry requirements, a valid visa and/or a return ticket out of Thailand.

There is a caveat, this would certainly be the case for the UK, I'm not 100% if these are internationally recognised standards however. In the UK if a passenger is refused landing because of insufficient evidence, as well as being liable for a fine, the carrier is also liable for the cost of returning the denied passenger, but also any detention costs.  

12 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

He applies for a metv, the Thai government approves it, and then denies him entry???????

the airline asked for his visa and return ticket at the airport, he has everything in order, away he goes. 

Why shpuld the airline be on the hook or get fined for putting him on the plane?

I would wager that since they can't penalize any airline that is following current published IATA guidelines on Thai visas and travelers eligibility to board, the Thai government junta is making the detainees and rejects fork out for a homeward  or return ticket.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It was a marketing slogan thought up by the Tourism Authority of Thailand.  To be fair, it has been very successful - as some seem to believe it's true!

Don't you see the endless smiles here?  Or NOT?  I see on your profile you are in BKK.

[mention=274345]BrakkaToss[/mention] can you confirm what happened? In this Facebook group they are saying the decision was reversed and the person was allowed in. Do you have more details?

https://mobile.facebook.com/groups/1395920320731833?view=permalink&id=2470010736656114&anchor_composer=false&_rdc=1&_rdr

Yes!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Thailand is pushing for a cashless society and most of the world uses their cards for transactions, while immigration demands 20,000b cash upon entry.

These people are embarrassingly dumb and out of touch with the world. 

They dont "demand" 20,000 Baht on entry.....if by 1 in what 5000 people you were asked to show currency than any foreign denomination convertible within Thailand is acceptable

Now if you're a Brit Aussie or American and in my case a Brit you're 6000 miles from home who in their right mind doesnt arrive without at least 20,000 Baht.

I simply never ever arrive without £3000 on me for emergencies cards fail or whatever.

You arrive at immigration with nothing but cards and frankly I'd refuse admission for outright stupidity let alone not filling the criteria

Its outright lunacy even more so if you dont even have a Thai account and I bet less than 2% on this forum have one such has been the tighter opening restrictions these last 10 years

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

I am surprised about this cash thing. I have a "retirement extension" and never carry Thai cash...it is 20,000 baht they want isn't it?

These days with ATMs and the like there is no need for the risk of carrying cash....I wonder what the objection is of letting him go to the nearest cash machine and draw out 20,000? It costs them nothing and saves him agro....but TIT.

No....read my post above.

In addition I believe there are no ATMs airside unless some have been installed these last few years

44 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Thailand is pushing for a cashless society and most of the world uses their cards for transactions, while immigration demands 20,000b cash upon entry.

These people are embarrassingly dumb and out of touch with the world. 

I was told by an IO at the Immigration Bureau that IOs at entry points don't ask for cash, unless they suspect something else is not in order with this person.

So we can say that an IO will not ask for cash, unless he is looking for a reason to deny you entry, because he suspects you of working in Thailand or similar.

• Like 1

doesn't the thai embassy abroad verify finances required to obtain the visa ??  below from los angeles thai embassy

A copy of  bank statement for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chivas said:

In addition I believe there are no ATMs airside unless some have been installed these last few years

There have long been US dollar airside ATMs at Suvarnabhumi and (I think but not sure) at Don Muang. However, they are only accessible to departing and transit passengers. There are none available to arriving passengers before immigration. Once you have been denied entry, they will allow you access to the airside ATMs if you show a need. They will only prevent you using the ATM to meet the cash requirement for entry.

• Sad 1

I am surprised about this cash thing. I have a "retirement extension" and never carry Thai cash...it is 20,000 baht they want isn't it?
These days with ATMs and the like there is no need for the risk of carrying cash....I wonder what the objection is of letting him go to the nearest cash machine and draw out 20,000? It costs them nothing and saves him agro....but TIT.
You won't be asked to show cash if you have a Retirement or Work Extension.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just now, atyclb said:

doesn't the thai embassy abroad verify finances required to obtain the visa ??  below from los angeles thai embassy

A copy of  bank statement for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)

Sure, but immigration does not recognise visas issued by Thai consulates if they consider you should be denied entry according to their own unofficial rules. Any vetting done by the embassy/consulate is irrelevant as immigration disagrees with the conditions set by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (a different ministry).

• Like 1

The amount of cash required is minimal especially if he is here a long time. What you have written seems unbelievable to me as many friends spend multiple months twice a year. No problem. Never been asked to show cash. I think there must be something hinky with him.

4 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

You won't be asked to show cash if you have a Retirement or Work Extension.

Usually true, unless the immigration official takes a dislike to you and wants to deny you entry. In most cases, they do not hassle short term tourists either (depending on their nationality).

12 minutes ago, BritTim said:
17 minutes ago, atyclb said:

Sure, but immigration does not recognise visas issued by Thai consulates if they consider you should be denied entry according to their own unofficial rules. Any vetting done by the embassy/consulate is irrelevant as immigration disagrees with the conditions set by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (a different ministry).

that is patently absurd .  not your statement but what they do

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

I generally believe posts like yours until there is good reason to suspect something. However, immigration does not have the power to void visas. Perhaps, there is a problem in communication, but (if this report is not a complete fabrication) immigration is ignoring the visa, not cancelling it.

If your friend was not carrying cash, immigration can validly deny entry under Section 12 (9).

The tourist didn´t have 20k THB with him. All else is useless speculation and totally irrelevant. What a useless post from the OP.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2