Widespread flooding in NE as storm Podul moves west today

rooster59

Widespread flooding in NE as storm Podul moves west today

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM75S91SJrctqODGsutQbbJ4muvMI.jpg

Widespread flooding was reported on Saturday in several of Thailand’s northeastern provinces as Podul, which has now weakened to low pressure cell, loomed over the northeastern province of Loei at 4am and was moving slowly westward.

In its 16th announcement, issued at 4am on Saturday, the Meteorological Department reported that the low pressure cell will continue to bring rain, with isolated heavy showers, to most parts of the country.

The weatherman also warned people living along natural water ways and at the foot of mountains to brace for flash flooding.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/widespread-flooding-in-ne-as-storm-podul-moves-west-today/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-09-01

2 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Seems like Prayut was right about devastation in the north, and the weather department was downplaying the matter.

Maybe he is a wizard anyway.

Spot on 100%, which is a rarity for Prayut.. Usually he is so far off the mark that you have more luck picking the lottery numbers.. ???? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, legend49 said:

Floods every year but nothing is fixed. Love how police parked their truck.

Since 1993, much has been fixed and more to do. The flooding doesn't care who owns which cars or trucks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

A flooded house is a quite sad experience in someone's' life.

It happened to us and I'll not forget that.  

Have never lived in a flooded house but have helped friends that had. Also worked with the SES cleaning the mud out of houses that had a flood though them and just devastating for the owners.

It was the first thing to look at before buying any property.

2 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

While it is always nice to get the rain, the meteorological department fell down on this one. They predicted heavy rain in the north, central and the south, nut didn't mention the north-east (which was the worst hit.

The main highway between Kon Kaen and Korat was cut for a day or so at Ban Pai due to flooding. I found out the hard way.

In Bangkok Post they said the path was Vietnam, Cambodia and then North Eastern Thailand. 

7 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

A flooded house is a quite sad experience in someone's' life.

It happened to us and I'll not forget that.  

Before I ever built anything in any country I always either buy on raised  land or on a hill, taught to me long long ago.

Thailand could easily  mitigate a lot of this by not wasting money on ironically submarines , aircraft carriers, bailing out Thai airways, endless  committees  achieving nothing, corruption,  big reductions in Police and armed  forces, none of that will happen.

All of that could be spent on run off and capture  for those yearly droughts  which always come as a total surprise to them.

I'm in Pak Thong Chai, Korat. It rained pretty well all day yesterday but nothing too heavy, just consistent light rain. Today it was blustery in the morning but no rain. This afternoon the sun has been blazing away and not a spot of rain in sight. So looks like the worse of the storm passed us by.

18 hours ago, JoeW said:

Well there is a new storm, albeit smaller, coming our way.

That must explain today's rain...been raining nonstop all day, nothing too heavy but nonstop....good for the local farmers, and my missus' vegi garden.