Success! DIY retire extension @Chonburi with a twist

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Jomtien Chonburi or Chonburi Chonburi?

BIG NEWS if they are really going to crack down on agents. 

Many say it will never happen. 

I was under the impression that clamping down on agents was Big Joak’s idea, also the daft restrictions on bank deposits which Immigration took to like ducks to water and are still insisting on in spite of the fact that he is no longer in post. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rott said:

So knowledgeable that he still refers to it as a visa.

Time will tell but I will be surprised if the people who are making so much money off agents are going to start "cracking down" on them.

I agree time will tell. I would personally be very shocked if there ever is a real and persistent such crackdown but it's always been possible. If what the OP was told is true, the implications are potentially massive. Not only cracking down on agents of course but their customers. Then the question might be is presenting such an application illegal for the applicant? 

I think his terminology was OK. He said extension too. Often people at immigration call extensions visas as well! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the head of the immigration has the power to waive any application he see fit, as he see fit.

it follows then that any application that pays over and above the official 1900 is fit to pass, and it will be the very last

applications that gets denied

Old news. Why would they be checking the banks then? For their health?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Immigration will be electronically confirming banking details in the near future or calling the bank to confirm the account numbers and balances. 

I do not see how they have the ability or authority to do this. As to it impacting agents faking bank letters, I always believed the letters produced matched those I would get if I visited the bank. Namely verifying account number, in this name, with a balance of xxx, in excess of 800k at that time. 

I have heard of some agent not using a clients account too, unsure of that process. Perhaps that is a fake letter.

It doesn't matter, the money the agent pays ensures things are not looked at too closely, namely confirming money has been seasoned is not required, nor having to return and prove it is still being held, 3 months later. 

Edited by jacko45k

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This sounds suspect.

Assuming the IT infrastructure could be put in place, surely banks cannot reveal details to any schmoe who rings in?

Not too hard to do, and it is Immigration, not just anybody. They can also easily call the bank while the farang is at the desk and have the farang put in the account PIN on the phone to allow them to listen to the automated messages of name, account number and account balance.

I heard the official say "we will confirm balances because we get fake letters before"

Edited by likerdup1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:
9 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Immigration will be electronically confirming banking details in the near future or calling the bank to confirm the account numbers and balances. 

This sounds suspect.

Assuming the IT infrastructure could be put in place, surely banks cannot reveal details to any schmoe who rings in?

Immigration are part of the Thai police.

In the UK the police are empowered to access anybody's bank accounts. You think the Thai Police wouldn't be able to do the same in Thailand?

• Like 1

Time for the UK USA and Australian Embassies to start doing their jobs like all the others and certify income to the satisfaction of TI. If TI can do it and all other Embassies can do it so can the 3 who are avoiding their responsibilities. Time to stop this nonsense!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

How will the banks know who they are and what obligation to they have re compliance or data protection?

14 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Beware, anyone using an agent who is counterfeiting bank letters or using a "liason" at a bank  who is making false bank letters.  Immigration will be electronically confirming banking details in the near future or calling the bank to confirm the account numbers and balances. 

One other tidbit of info I picked up is that I will have to go back and show them my updated bank book with at least 800k THB in 90 days. However if I am out of the country at that time they will allow showing the bank details up to 48 hours after returning to the country.

I assume this was at the Conburi Office and not Jomtien.   Since the officer mentioned they would confirm balances- did he indicate they would be calling your bank to do this?  

I am of the belief that a bank will not give your information to anyone over the phone as they could not confirm who was calling.  One would need a court order presented to the bank officer to get information. As far as electronically being able to check accounts-  even the UK and USA do not have this authority or even the  means tro do it.

Sounds to me the officer said it to get a reaction from the applicant. What was your response/

Edited by Thaidream
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Not too hard to do, and it is Immigration, not just anybody. They can also easily call the bank while the farang is at the desk and have the farang put in the account PIN on the phone to allow them to listen to the automated messages of name, account number and account balance.

And I trust them not a whit!

Great, now they have your PIN too! Why not look at the account balance on my phone? 

Edited by jacko45k

Call your bank and check your balance, etc? How? You can't just call someone's bank and ask for their personal details. I don't care who you are. You would need a court order for that. If police can access someone's banking details without a court order, it's wide open to abuse by a known corrupt organization. That would be terrible for their international banking and business reputation.

Edited by rkidlad
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Call your bank and check your balance, etc? How? You can't just call someone's bank and ask for their personal details. I don't care who you are. You would need a court order for that. If police can access someone's banking details without a court order, it's wide open to abuse by a known corrupt organization. That would be terrible for their international banking and business reputation.

I wouldn't assume banks wouldn't cooperate with police. Of course I don't know either way but I do know Thailand isn't Kansas. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I wouldn't assume banks wouldn't cooperate with police. Of course I don't know either way but I do know Thailand isn't Kansas. 

Oh, this is still Thailand. But if word got out that police were just accessing private details of foreign customers’ Thai bank accounts without going though proper channels, that would look very bad. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

doesn't help the country's business reputation any if people can bribe their way through immigration either..

Just like on the pages everyday of Thai Visa The Nation this blatant corruption is well known to many. Whether you blame the briber or the bribee, it does not matter. IMO I'm not sure if the op received straight information or just idle threats. But I do believe these illegal acts to falsify immigration databases will be stopped. If people were paying others to commit immigration crimes in Canada I would want them out of my country. I believe there are many Thais that feel the same way..   

56 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

And that is a valid point..... 

I don't think confidentiality and foreigner's rights figures too highly here. 

It would not be possible for immigration to call banks and get any info on customer accounts. 

Even Western countries where officials have access to anything, can not just call bank to get someone's account balance or history

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Just like on the pages everyday of Thai Visa The Nation this blatant corruption is well known to many. Whether you blame the briber or the bribee, it does not matter. IMO I'm not sure if the op received straight information or just idle threats. But I do believe these illegal acts to falsify immigration databases will be stopped. If people were paying others to commit immigration crimes in Canada I would want them out of my country. I believe there are many Thais that feel the same way..   

Bribery is a fact of life in Thailand. In many cases, foreigners do not even know when they are paying bribes. Here is an example described on this forum most days. People wanting to do a border bounce from Bangkok to get a fresh entry on their multiple entry visa will most often go to Ban Phu Nam Ron. There, they will pay 960 baht for the Myanmar border pass, plus the (probably not taken) transport across no-man's land. Without kickbacks, this is what would happen:

• After stamping out of Thailand, you would pay 30-50 baht for the transport to Myanmar immigration (assuming a competitive environment).
  • You would pay US$10 for the Myanmar border pass, and be stamped in and out of Myanmar.
  • You would pay 30-50 baht for the return trip to Thai immigration.
  • You would be stamped into Thailand (no charge).

You are not allowed the opportunity. This is what is happening in reality:

• The transport is provided by someone who pays Thai and Myanmar immigration for the exclusive right to move people (actually only their passports these days) across no-man's land, and ensure the full 960 baht is paid. They probably get about 160 baht per return trip in return for the transport provider's payment for the franchise and the cooperation with immigration.
  • This, after deducting just over 300 baht for the Myanmar border pass, leaves about 500 baht to be split between the Thai and Myanmar sides. (I am assuming the Myanmar side actually issues the border passes rather than taking the money without doing so.)

Few of those using this system appreciate how the system works.

There are many similar situations that arise daily in Thailand. Some of the scams get terminated; new ones are created. The situation with agents arranging dodgy extensions is very visible and well known, and may experience a crack down at some point. However, the sums of money involved make this difficult unless alternative sources of revenue (scams) for the officials can be found.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I was under the impression that clamping down on agents was Big Joak’s idea, also the daft restrictions on bank deposits which Immigration took to like ducks to water and are still insisting on in spite of the fact that he is no longer in post. 

And where is he now? Even ordered to a Government job I'm surprised there has been no sighting of him. Even the most elusive people get captured on camera by the paparazzi. There's something fishy about this. No cement jacket I hope. But then.....

I Have lived here 14 yrs and have always done everything at Immigration myself.

Chiang Mai is so organized now, it makes no sense to use an Agent.

One thing that would benefit all of us IS......if Thai Immigration website had a precise checklist of what is required for each type of Visa and keep it current.