Govt spokeswoman apologizes to PM Prayut for showing him eating from a plastic container

webfact

Stupid anti-plastic hysteria gaining full steam.  Like the idiocy of banning plastic shopping bags, which are reused as trash liners, while stores like Tops ignore the wall of plastic bottles and packaging that make up 80 percent of what is on offer on every aisle. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but seems a kind of mute point to me since a lot of the plane is made of plastic and the trip just added to the greenhouse gases !

True, but the biggest threat comes from single use plastics. I'd never fly again if someone said that that plane was built for single use!  ????

1 hour ago, kamahele said:

So he is eating like everyone else in the country. Can't eat off of banana leave all of the time.

Only the select few get to gorge from the trough! (Gorge: eat a large amount greedily)

• Haha 1

I don’t get why this woman is apologizing? did she sneak the photo and post it online?

Surely this is the fault of his PA who should have conveyed the PMs views on Styrofoam or plastic to  the airline.

Like has been mentioned, the man should grow up, and address the real problem, surely the fleet of mini vans sitting outside the arrival lounge with their engines running at Phitsanuloke airport contributed more the depletion of the environment than a plastic box.

I applause his stance, how about passing a bill passed to ban the use of syrofoam for all, the promote a campaign against the needless issuing of plastic bags in convenience stores, making it illegal for mini vans to sit with their engines idling (as in NYC), the list could go on and on. 

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Sorry I didn't hide the truth ?   The apology is far worse than the act.  I hate disables, but every once in a while, you have to use them. 

You might want to edit this.............!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Thousands of people in Issan homeless, lost everything, and all those plonkers are concerned about is little p being served food in a plastic container.... Pathetic, bloody pathetic.

Actually no, image is their main concern (the plastic is collateral).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, petedk said:

Single use, throw away is ok, but they can be made of paper. The utensils are obviously more difficult and should probably be real utensils, but then there is the safety issue.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What safety issue?

Most of the flights I take have stainless steel knives and forks. 

• Like 1

Based on the quality of most airline food, the container was probably tastier...

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

But......did he enjoy the food? Was it aroy mak, khup?

Based on the quality of most airline food, the container was probably tastier....

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

"She said that the Prime Minister has reprimanded the officials concerned and, since that incident, both he and his delegates are served food in paper boxes or wrapped in banana leaves throughout the trip."

Pathetic.................... There are far more important issues to deal with, rather than a silly complaint like this.

Maybe you would prefer an approach like Donald Trump -- raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for his election

campaign by selling plastic straws bcoz he thinks efforts to protect the environment are not important... Duh!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, petedk said:

Single use, throw away is ok, but they can be made of paper. The utensils are obviously more difficult and should probably be real utensils, but then there is the safety issue.

Sent from my SM-C710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

But business class and higher get real (dangerous) cutlery. I do enjoy this but why assume the bulk head pax won't be terrorists? Plus if a plastic knife can cut your meat, it can can also injure a person. 

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but seems a kind of mute point to me since a lot of the plane is made of plastic and the trip just added to the greenhouse gases !

Maybe you don't understand the environmental issues involved. The problem is not materials being made of plastic (such as airplane

parts), but it is the use of plastic materials for disposable items -- especially items such as fast food container that are discarded by

the millions every day.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Thousands of people in Issan homeless, lost everything, and all those plonkers are concerned about is little p being served food in a plastic container.... Pathetic, bloody pathetic.

And that just shows the coverage and competence of these plonkers' minds and intellect. That really is all they are capable of, if anything. They shouldn't be allowed to run anything more complicated than a food blender, never mind a whole damned country.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I fail to see how airlines are suppose to serve their food and beverages using any other than this single use, throw away utensils as every added weight/cost of fuel on the airplanes means less passenger and less revenues as reusable utensils are an hygiene and labor concerns......

Many airlines still use metal cutlery for in-flight meals.  It was removed after some terrorist attacks but, in general, metal cutlery has since been issued. Also, some airlines reuse plastic tableware after commercial washing.  Most of airline waste is recyclable (it's said) and some have recycling tools onboard. 

Bamboo is 100% compostable, sustainable  plentiful and used in some regions outside of Thailand including drink containers, food containers, utensils, great alternative to plastic

The thing that bothers me, is the "spokesperson" taking the blame for posting the pic.

He accepted the food, he ate the food, and got caught out, does not have the intestinal fortitude to own HIS mistake and makes a woman take the blame>>what a bloke 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BradinAsia said:

Maybe you would prefer an approach like Donald Trump -- raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for his election

campaign by selling plastic straws bcoz he thinks efforts to protect the environment are not important... Duh!

I thought he got elected because Mexico was paying for the border wall!

Thailand is drowning in plastic refuse that's polluting the landfills and the oceans and killing wildlife.  And P's government has been typically slow and ineffective to do much of anything about it at the national level...

So what do we get instead, a kerfuffle about P being served airline food in a plastic container and his PR person allowing a photo of that to be posted in social media, and then having to publicly apologize for it.

Which of the two issues is more pathetic, I'm having a hard time deciding....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

I have carried my own reusable containers, recyclable non disposable bags with to markets for some time

Vendors used to look strangely at me, but the ones I frequent on a regular basis know about my "eccentricity"  as they see it, they sometimes laugh directly at me, but I insist with my stand, and if the vendor will no acquiesce , I do not buy from them, go to the next one

It is an easy thing to do

• Like 1