I guess I broke my own rule

Nyezhov

Generally Thai people are too proud to beg, they will go without rather than to be seen panhandling, those urchins and scruffy woman with babies you see are mostly Cambodian who works for a gang and get a cut, so yes, you have been giving to the wrong people, but if it made you feel good and compassionate doing the right things than live with it and learn...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neeray said:

I salute your generous effort. Perhaps you were thinking how lucky your own kid is when you emptied out your wallet (or brat or whatever term it is that I have seen you use when speaking of her).

I think you hit the nail on the head.

This kid was like 16 maybe. And besides the scarring her hand was burnt off. But her hair was perfectly arranged, and her uniform was just like a uniform I see you with all the other girls and it just seemed so unfair and wrong for her to be like that. I couldn't read her sign attached to the little box, for all I know, she was collecting for some surgery. I'm glad that I wasn't going to the bank or exchange and had fat cash with me cuz I probably would have given it all.

I wish I spoke Thai better than a retarded 3 year old as I would love to find out that girl's story. Right now I'm afraid to go back to ekkamai, because her injuries still haunt me and my wallet is very full. and it's tough because my mouse is failing, so I need to go to an electronics store. Guess I'll avoid that side of town and I will go to Tesco

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I thought, wow what if she is an imposter and I just got hustled.

You said she was hideously burnt and missing a hand.so safe

to say she was not an imposter,there are genuine people who

need to beg,just to survive,as there is not really the support 

for people though injuries etc,that cannot work,the job is telling

the real from the fake.

I always remember the Sherlock Holmes story "The man with the twisted lip "

were a wealthy man found he could earn more from begging,than working.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I always remember the Sherlock Holmes story "The man with the twisted lip "

were a wealthy man found he could earn more from begging,than working

Thats exactly the story that went through my mind.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, Nyezhov said:

So are there really beggar gangs here still that exploit folks? Would they scar up some girl severly to earn money off of gullible fat boys like me?

I don't think they mutilate kids, but there are plenty out there already scarred to exploit. As long as the Thais think they earn merit by giving to beggars it will continue.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the tough reality is that you sponsored child labor, people trafficking and corruption.

She will be a victim of an accidental fire, land mine or deliberate disfigurement in Cambodia or Lao, trafficked here by a criminal gang who pay immigration and police to allow them to run their business.

Seeing Thai's give is not a good guide.  Thai's give as an act of Tamboon to make merit for themselves.  Tourists give to make themselves feel better.  Criminal gangs traffic people who look suitably distressing to exploit these selfish motives. 

You may think me heartless - but I lived in India where I saw babies being rented from factory workers by street beggars, then given opium to keep them quiet while they begged on the streets, I've heard from local police about cases of deliberate blinding of children and injecting weedkiller into joints to deform the kids - just to make them better beggars.

I've done voluntary work for a charity in Cambodia where child sex traffickers run a sideline in trafficking landmine victims as beggars - they are bought and sold - it's just a business.  The kids on the street get none of what you give.

Give your money on a regular basis to one of the genuine orphanages, care centres etc, visit them to meet the kids, then you can walk past illegal street beggars with a clearer conscience.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:33 PM, StreetCowboy said:

The gangs provide protection and give gainful employment to the crippled and disfigured who cannot get the lucrative employment that you and I enjoy.  How long do you think a cripple would last on the streets on their own?

For every kind and generous soul like you or me, there is another sullen, loutish thug who would bully them out of all their takings, not just 75%

How do you know this ?

Do you know that or just think thats what probably happens ?

/

• Like 1

It really doesn't matter if the kid in question is genuinely mutilated, or is part of a begging ring or scam. The act of giving, of trying to help someone, makes all of us feel good about ourselves. Just focus on the positive, and don't try to over-analyse what you did.

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2019 at 6:27 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think they mutilate kids,

Youll never  know, it  would be  better to donate to some sort of registered  charity if such a thing exists in Thailand but with the rampant  corruption Id  be very wary of  giving them anything.

Of course a  decent society would  take care of these  sorts of  issues with state assistance.

Lest face it 2  submarines and 10 armoured personnel  carriers   would go a long way to help.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Isn't the point to  help others  feel better though not ones self?

Yes it is. I'm saying feeling good about oneself through the act of giving is a positive side-effect. The Buddhist tenet of "making merit" is in a similar vein.

On 9/15/2019 at 1:09 AM, swissie said:

In the best of Thai tradition I replied "You think too much". Not ask! My standart reply every time she asks me this. And then she gives me what's left of her former dazzeling smile, before her accident.
I believe in "direct-support", instead of random contributions.

the best way to help , i agree.     Maybe a different response could be that you see her as a sister and

family always helps each other.    Just an idea,  as "think too much" might not really fit this story...

or another saying " mai pen rai, rao pen puan gan ,  yak chuay gan"

On 9/12/2019 at 10:06 AM, neeray said:

I salute your generous effort. Perhaps you were thinking how lucky your own kid is when you emptied out your wallet (or brat or whatever term it is that I have seen you use when speaking of her).

My first gf tried to stop me as I supported some in the streets but she did not clearly explain why.

By posting this information, you not only encourage other farangs to assist but the responses help establish/clarify the parameters for giving.

Thank you.

I too have seen the young lady in Asoke.

About 16 I would have a guess.

Well dressed in a school uniform. 

I think its brave that she attends school. 

Kids can be cruel. 

We too gave a donation a little bit over the top.

My head says she was genuine.

My partner thought the same. 

We met  couple with child at Makro pattaya the other day. 

They had borrowed from the family in Udon thani for the trip to pattaya in the hope of employment with a cousin. 

Only to find on arrival that she had shot through. Unpaid rent. 

Distraught wasn't the word. 

My partner (a sucker for kids pets etc) told me their plight and said can I help them.

So, we dropped them at the bus station and put 1000 baht in his hand. 

The bloke was in tears. 

There are a few genuine ones out there..

Its normally my own that con me.

Cars with speedos spun, mates who don't give you the money for a girlfriends airfare ticket.. etc. etc.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Well dressed in a school uniform. 

thats what killed me, the contrast....her uniform and her hair were simply perfect.

The poor brave child. I wish I could do more.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:40 PM, tifino said:
  • the kids are like canaries on an invisible leash; 

with anything up to 4 handlers lurking in the aisles...

Nonsense. Street performance is a valid form of raising money and although there are rare forms of organised exploitation it is rare. Thailand is not india. I frequently give to beggars especially performers. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

thats what killed me, the contrast....her uniform and her hair were simply perfect.

The poor brave child. I wish I could do more.

Good man. You did the right thing. Ignore the moralising hypocrites who jump through hoops to justify their own meaness and misanthropy. Here is another poor person trying to use her talents to support her family. Wealthy westerners who criticise her, people like her and people like you and me who give to street performers and beggars even those of doubtful merit, should be tarred and feathered and bull whipped across the nearest border. It is noticeable that in reality these apologists have less empathy for thais than sex pats and so called sex tourists. Give me the latter any day over the radical feminists, evangelicals and pious virtue signallers who infest this forum.

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:33 AM, StreetCowboy said:

The gangs provide protection and give gainful employment to the crippled and disfigured who cannot get the lucrative employment that you and I enjoy.  How long do you think a cripple would last on the streets on their own?

For every kind and generous soul like you or me, there is another sullen, loutish thug who would bully them out of all their takings, not just 75%

On 9/13/2019 at 6:27 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think they mutilate kids, but there are plenty out there already scarred to exploit. As long as the Thais think they earn merit by giving to beggars it will continue.

My Mrs has told me in the past that sometimes children are stolen, mutilated, and forced into a life of begging, as you may often see in provincial night markets. She is normally anxious about kids being kidnapped and held for ransom, and she's always seemed pretty level-headed to me.

Edited by CaptainNemo
  • Like 1