Farang is NOT impolite word.

Yinn

10 hours ago, fishtank said:

No. I just don't respond to ignorance.

My name is John not farang.

Lived in this village for 14 years and would expect better from the local retards.

Perhaps they look at you as the "retard", from the negativity of your post, regarding the people of the country you reside they would not be far off....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Actually you have to read to get your questions answered not write

Yinn  has commented favourably on foreigners she met as a receptionist

Yinn has mentioned she uses the forum to practice her English and broaden her knowledge

Personally I think Thai people benefit from encouragement rather than criticism, although to her credit Yinn has shown solid resilience to those who attempt to belittle her input to Tvisa

Yours faithfully

White knight geo

What is that saying I always hear you men talking about ...my girl is different??  Is that it???

She is broadening her knowledge but maybe not in the innocent way you expect.

Well..I think that we are sliding off topic.

I am not offended by the use of the word "farang" but I did get a bit bored with its use by Thai who were well aware that I am Australian.Then again I was bored by its useage by "farangs" as well..????

However I must thank Yinn for starting the thread "Flooding in Thailand" and keeping it going.Well done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well..I think that we are sliding off topic.

I am not offended by the use of the word "farang" but I did get a bit bored with its use by Thai who were well aware that I am Australian.Then again I was bored by its useage by "farangs" as well..????

However I must thank Yinn for starting the thread "Flooding in Thailand" and keeping it going.Well done.

Yeah she done good Bruce

• Like 1

I prefer not to use terms that others find offensive.   I don't think the word 'farang' is offensive, but some people are offended at being called 'a farang'.   I've been in meetings where people got quite PC and said it shouldn't be used.   I've always maintained it's perfectly legitimate to describe a particular group of people when we need a binary distinction.   We have Thai staff and we have farang staff.  

IMO, I try to avoid using terms that are offensive unless my goal is to offend them and that sometimes happens -- but it is usually words a whole lot stronger than farang!

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I have never been called farang in the first person, sometimes Papa, Phaw (พ่อ) and lately Ta (thanks for that!).

I get "Papa" a lot.

Hellooooo Papa, where you go, you want kanom, aroi mak.

Paeng mak.

Nooooooooooo. May Paeng! You try!

Then Auntie turns to her friend and says in Thai

Damn, the fat "white westerner" doesnt need any more sweets does he, and look at him sweat like a pig. Give him some water Poo before he faints and we have to call the police, I dont want them around, I dont have their tea money today

Papa, papa you take *hands bottle of water*, where you from Papa, I love yooooooooo

39 minutes ago, Yinn said:

I did not know you the girl, sorry. 

Welcome sister!

If some farang think farang is a bad word. It maybe cause the problem.

So I just try to help everybody understand it not bad word.

Make peaceful together is better right?

I not have time to answer everyone. I am very popular. And sometimes not understand the question.

I work at hotel. The hotel do everyday. Many many. No problem

Correct. Sorry. I not want.

Yes, farang is NOT impolite.

not forget the TM30 na.

Witch. Now white knight? If someone agree when I say true thing they are the White Knight?

I think you feel intimidated by Asian woman.

I used quotes from you guys.

Slaughtered, witch, white knights. 

Not be jealous people agree with me na.

Spy? 

Ok sister. I learn Thai for my business/career. Ok

You confuse me. I never say I go school in England. Someone else. Not me.

Help make farang feel welcome to thailand. Peaceful. Help them understand many thing. 

No, many more worse that one. 

You not make sense.

Dude, you need to go back and Edit some of the suddenly normal grammar and spelling.  Come on, bro, "Wut you name? Wear u flom? Mee lub u long time, ching ching, laaaaaa".  ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Is that all you think of Thai women?

Well here's a pretty kettle of fish..the males flee from the West usually because they are alcoholics,concrete and brain dead-to seek solace in a Thai woman's arms-only to begin denouncing Thai women too..

It's monumentally boring and lacks class,good will and understanding-let alone any form of intelligence-which rednecks,bovver boys and bogans rarely display.

The Thai will end up "Dunkirking" you in the end.

They are trying very hard at the moment.

Male feminist outrage?  The old 1-2 farang dirtbag lower than rednecks, insult meme!   Woo hoo, you go deep over a bastardized line from Full Metal Jacket!   Lighten up, Francis! ???? 

I dig my wife.  She's awesome first.  Thai second.  She's got some views on Thais and Thailand that'll make your eyes pop. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Doubt it.

Wanna have another go Mr Woo hoo?

Otherwise your post resembles Sam Waterson's remark..

"The sure sign that there is intelligent life in the Universe is that they have never tried to contact us."

Did you just call me Mr. Woo Hoo?  That's a low blow, even for you.  Long as you don't call me a farang, I'm good.

Edited by 55Jay

Farang (https://sml.snl.no/farang), is an epidemic of infectious disease. The term is used especially for infectious infectious disease of the gastrointestinal tract.

Farang (Thai ฝรั่ง [fà.ràŋ]), in daily speech [fà.làŋ], is a Thai word used to refer to people of European appearance, ie "white". The word itself is not charged in any way, either positively or negatively, but in other words it can be used in a negative way, depending on the context and the view of the person using it. The word is also used to refer to things that are associated with Western culture.

Several explanations for the etymology of the word exist. The two most common explanations are:

it is that a somewhat abbreviated version of the word ฝรั่ง เศษ ([fà.ràŋ.se: t] French) because the French were some of the first whites to come to Thailand, and that "all" whites were therefore considered to be "French" ".
It comes from the Thai name for guava, which is also called farang. The white fruit flesh of the guava fruit was associated with the white skin of the "faranges". The "whites" were called "farang" because they were "as white" as guavas.
Both of these theories are probably wrong, and just walking stories.

The origin of the word farang is probably derived from the Persian word farangi, which in turn derives from the Arabic firinjia (فرنجة), which was used in western Europe during the Middle Ages, which is a reference to the West Germanic tribes. (Eastern Europe was called روم Rum, after the Eastern Roman Empire - the second Rome.) With the Persians, the word farangi spread to southern and southeast Asia. The vast majority of languages in the region use a word similar to farangi about white people, such as barang in Cambodia, parangiar in tamil, farenghi in hindi and pha rank in Vietnamese.

Another explanation is that it comes from the Hindi word firangi (Devanāgarī: फिरंगी, or "foreign" which means foreign / foreign in English)

The word farang is used for many things that are associated with Western culture, although it is often dropped where it is superfluous. The name of the guava is really กล้วย ฝรั่ง ([klûa̯j fà.ràŋ]) which means something like "the white man's banana". In this case, "farang" is an adjective, describing a fruit already known to the Thais, the banana, and which is reminiscent of the guava (which originally came from America and was introduced to Thailand by the Portuguese). This pattern is also seen in words such as มันฝรั่ง ([man fà.ràŋ] potato), where one is a general word for root vegetables, and where the potato was perceived as western, since it also came with the whites (in everyday speech the potato is often just described as one). Another example is น้ำอบฝรั่ง ([nâːm ɔ̀ːp fà.ràŋ]) which means western perfume, and unlike "traditional" น้ำอบ is based on alcohol. As alcohol-based perfume has become more popular, the farang ending has been dropped at the end, and now the retronym น้ำอบ ไทย ([nâːm ɔ̀ːp tʰaj]) is used for traditional Thai perfume.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Nope no insult to your wife, I'm sure she has more than enough to put up with must be very special, more a comment your repeated attempts to knock Yinn for being herself on Tvisa, for me she stands up to be counted, for you somebody to knock, so be it.

Good on ya', mate.  

image.png.7fbbcb507a904d2f255c3fd508f6870c.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Wrong.

Again.

OK great, hey Yinn:

You know the super yummy green seafood sauce used for say Grilled Goong or Oysters or whatever? Its in all the seafood joints? Like a green chili looking sauce? Whats that called and can you buy it in bottles or does some granny have to make it, in which case I cant, because I am farang.

Nice on topic technique, nah?