Prayut orders armed forces to study possibility of voluntary military conscription

rooster59

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the armed forces to study proposals to make the current mandatory military conscription voluntary to see whether such a practice would affect national security.

No need for that. You already got a few subs and some armored vehicles from US, and top of that, there's the mandatory TM30 for foreingers to fill out. National security is just fine.

No, you learn to be a service worker for a General. Wife's nephew did exactly that for 2 years. Utterly ridiculous.

There is nothing wrong with the current system of involuntary conscription.  It gives the youth of today a wonderful opportunity to  learn a new skill set.  Where else can You go to become a "Lean Green Killing Machine".
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Sorry I disagree, I transitioned back into civvy street quite easily & I was involved in the nasty stuff of NI. Thailand's military have no idea about urban warfare.

Sorry, I was talking about just one soldier!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Asian countries with serious security concerns have a volunteer service.  Thailand has little to worry about and has around  300k men in uniform.  Do those men have something better to do and does the country have a better use for that money?

Half of them are probably the generals and admirals. 

5 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I think it's a good idea to make it voluntary, they have to offer something in return though, for example, I joined the British army in 1969 at age 15, they taught me basic military skills a profession and I continued my education and earned the educational certificates that I missed getting at school.

I travelled to some very interesting places and made some friends for life that I am still in contact with nearly 50 years later, not such a bad life.

I served from 1968 to 1988, in what was a conscripted army until it made the transition to a voluntary, professional service starting in the early 1970s. Disregarding any political, moral or ethical rhetoric, this country has so many obstacles towards making such a transition, that I doubt it can be done without a radical change in the educational landscape.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

There is nothing wrong with the current system of involuntary conscription.  It gives the youth of today a wonderful opportunity to  learn a new skill set.  Where else can You go to become a "Lean Green Killing Machine".

I can see your sarcasm there.

Just to explain my Thai brother-in-law's conscription:

He spent months looking after the ageing parents of his commanding officer.

'Looking after' is the wrong phrase - he skivvied for them 24 hours a day, as they were both senile.

He had live with them, clean the house, buy food from the market in order to cook for them, make sure they didn't harm themselves as they didn't know what they were doing most of the time.

They constantly argued he hadn't cooked any food food them - when they'd eaten it half-an-hour earlier.

They watched the cartoon channel day-after-day, even the same programmes which they'd seen the day before appeared new to them.

"Lean Green Killing Machine"? I'm sure he would have strangled his CO given half the chance.

I served from 1968 to 1988, in what was a conscripted army until it made the transition to a voluntary, professional service starting in the early 1970s. Disregarding any political, moral or ethical rhetoric, this country has so many obstacles towards making such a transition, that I doubt it can be done without a radical change in the educational landscape.

National service ended on the 31st of December 1960 so if you joined in 1968 you were obviously a volunteer not a conscript

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I can see your sarcasm there.

Just to explain my Thai brother-in-law's conscription:

He spent months looking after the ageing parents of his commanding officer.

'Looking after' is the wrong phrase - he skivvied for them 24 hours a day, as they were both senile.

He had live with them, clean the house, buy food from the market in order to cook for them, make sure they didn't harm themselves as they didn't know what they were doing most of the time.

They constantly argued he hadn't cooked any food food them - when they'd eaten it half-an-hour earlier.

They watched the cartoon channel day-after-day, even the same programmes which they'd seen the day before appeared new to them.

"Lean Green Killing Machine"? I'm sure he would have strangled his CO given half the chance.

That sounds like Prawit ???? 

• Like 1