Chinese tourists are heading back to Thailand at last

webfact

Chinese tourists are heading back to Thailand at last

CT.jpg

BANGKOK: The number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand topped one million in August for the first time in six months, brightening an otherwise dim outlook for the nation’s economy.

Chinese arrivals surged almost 19% to 1.03 million during the month compared with a year earlier, Tourism Ministry data showed Wednesday. Overall visitor growth of 7.4% was the strongest this year.

"It’s a positive surprise for the Thai tourism industry, especially with Chinese arrivals reaching a million,” said Kampon Adireksombat, Bangkok-based head of economic and financial market research at Siam Commercial Bank Pcl.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2019/09/25/chinese-tourists-are-heading-back-to-thailand-at-last

-- The Star ONLINE 2019-09-26

• Haha 2

I don't believe any news coming from and out of China.

I believe very little news coming from Thailand and more importantly news about Chinese coming to Thailand.  

"The number of Chinese tourists visiting Thailand topped one million in August for the first time in six months, brightening an otherwise dim outlook for the nation’s economy."

If Thailand is banking it's economic growth and survival on China, good luck.

• Like 1

I went for a ride along the bypass road and then on to Bang Saray yesterday. Deviated off the route to check out some of the instant-Thai-ancient-culture-just-add-Chinese-tourists places that have popped up out of nowhere. All with Thai and Chinese signs only, no English. There and back I must have seen 300-400 tour buses either waiting for their Chinese customers or en route. Far more buses than a couple of years ago. But I saw no Chinese people out and about, they were only at these "tourist attractions". Check it out for yourselves. Are the zero-baht tours back on again?

PS: The floating market is constantly busy - chokka with buses on Sukhumvit, while 70-80 buses in the car park out back.

PPS: The Chinese-only hotel near my mooban is also constantly busy.

Edited by Dexlowe
Adding info.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Our guesthouse has had good low season business in the past few years accommodating tour guides for Chinese groups staying at nearby large hotels.

This year that business has been almost non-existent. Let's see if we get any during Golden Week.

Golden week, isn't that one of the times of year when everybody, and their brother, goes on holiday in China?

• Like 1