Coffee shops/net cafes collecting WIFI data nothing to worry about say Thai police

webfact

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why?

I can't think of one disadvantage of having my location tracked and recorded.

Sarcasm ?  ????

Google location history is very nice and helpful. It really helps if you forgot the exact address of a restaurant you visited a couple of years ago. 

And turning it off doesn't really protect your privacy. Unless you are using an anonymous simcard, you pay the subscriptions cash, bought your phone without a credit card while  staying outside the reach of surveillance camera's, always use VPN's, never use your real name online, don't use social networks, don't use message apps to send messages to friends your privacy is never protected. They can always track you. It requires a lot of attention, time and motivation to really stay anonymous.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why?

I can't think of one disadvantage of having my location tracked and recorded.

According to the 'blurb' it will help you to remember where you've been in case you can't remember where you bought something,  or,  some other strange ideas on why you would need it.

9 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

Sarcasm ?  ????

Google location history is very nice and helpful. It really helps if you forgot the exact address of a restaurant you visited a couple of years ago. 

And turning it off doesn't really protect your privacy. Unless you are using an anonymous simcard, you pay the subscriptions cash, bought your phone without a credit card while  staying outside the reach of surveillance camera's, always use VPN's, never use your real name online, don't use social networks, don't use message apps to send messages to friends your privacy is never protected. They can always track you. It requires a lot of attention, time and motivation to really stay anonymous.

No sarcasm, I don't mind the authorities knowing where I am, my life isn't all that interesting.

Back in the UK where my (former) wife started accusing me of stalking and following her, it would have actually helped me.

Use a VPN , always. There are some web browsers, like Opera that include them for free. So you always connect with a different IP address. At least it will confuse them if you are worried about being spied on. 

ah yes, if you haven't been doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about... trust us, we're from the govt and we're here to help...you're either with us or you're against us...

this 'free country' is beginning to feel not so much.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

They need to know where we are...all the time,

and now, what we are up to.George Orwell was

spot on, with the way things would be in the future,

dont worry,more to come.

regards worgeordie

As a member of the Fabian society he had inside information. 

2 hours ago, dimitriv said:

Sarcasm ?  ????

Are you trying to do the spies out of a job?

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

If it has assisted in catching criminals then I'm all for it.

He was just being straight about the issue and answering the question as needed. 

what's the problem ….  

criticising  the  monarchy is  a  crime,   thought  police  nothing  more.

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

From your link:

"cafe owners retain a log file of their customers’ browsing data"

How would they do that, if one take preventive measures?

That's exactly right. Even a way back then, end of the 90s, early 2000s, I would always delete temporary files cookies & history of any internet machine I had been using before leaving. Pretty sure there are many like me today that still do the same.

It is possible that that data is retained on the computer in some other log file, but I'm not sure where.

OK...

Another reason to use a VPN!

Then they see nothing just a data (hex decimal cmbinations of 1's and 0's)stream (encrypted data) cannot be opened period all they see is a VPN (WHERE YOU MOVED YOURS TO) not who or what your viewing! They try but cannot open! Another thing get a WiFi extender (also called a Repeater) and use that in hotels, coffeeshops etc. connect that to WiFi and you to it with the supplied cable... Then you to extender! They don't even see you...

If this was not Thailand, I would be really worried about things like this.

They can't even control the traffic, so I am sure this will be the same.

Properly just a new idea for extra side-income from Cafe Owners. After all times are getting harder for all.

12 minutes ago, alant said:

How do they collect the data?

Is that data from their own connection only?

Who can ask for the data?

IS there any requirement here to keep the data secure?

Stop asking all those valid questions!

Its just the law...okay!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Such measures helped in the capture of serious criminals, he added. 

Or those who have opposing view points.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

He was just being straight about the issue and answering the question as needed. 

what's the problem ….  

The problem is the lack of due process, and the safety for those with opposing view points.  Given corruption is still a large problem in Thailand, why would you surrender your privacy?  Sounds like you are a bit masochistic,

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

what's the problem ….  

I'd like to see how many criminals have been caught

14 minutes ago, alant said:

How do they collect the data?

Is that data from their own connection only?

Who can ask for the data?

IS there any requirement here to keep the data secure?

It has been a requirement since 2007 for Thai based companies over a certain size (staff nos.) to log all internet websites visited by their staff, I would imagine this is managed via a firewall.

Most modern WiFi routers log this data, although probably not for as long as 90 days.

I would be very surprised if each Thai ISP isn't logging this data for each and every one of their customers, both corporate and private.

8 minutes ago, alant said:

Ha, very good ????

But seriously how do you collect the info?

They are suggesting Cafe owners could collect on paper. Just shows how much they really have been thinking.

So you go to a cafe and go on the internet. Then before you leave the cafe owner asks you what sites you visited and writes them down ???? A police officer then picks up the paper stack on his motorbike and drives them back to the police station. Here each URL is checked for wrong doings. Of course this is only possible, when it does not rain, as the electricity will not work if it rains.

7 minutes ago, Mattd said:

It has been a requirement since 2007 for Thai based companies over a certain size (staff nos.) to log all internet websites visited by their staff, I would imagine this is managed via a firewall.

Most modern WiFi routers log this data, although probably not for as long as 90 days.

I would be very surprised if each Thai ISP isn't logging this data for each and every one of their customers, both corporate and private.

Of course they are, but the problem is that the local police can not get much money out of checking ISPs. 

But if they can go to the local cafe and get some money there, then this is a great idea.

20 minutes ago, recycler said:

It is a worrying and creepy move but also shows how little the people in charge know about the the internet.

Almost all traffic is encrypted, so they'll end up with a pile of useless data.

They can see what sites you have visited, unless you use a VPN.

Police say log file regulation is not new, ask public not to worry

7b9dbed4b656bedd6297c9c44947ddbc_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police’s Technology Crime Suppression Division (TCSD) has assured that a regulation requiring coffee shop owners to store the data of customers using their Wi-Fi connections is in line with the law and does not violate users’ privacy.

The TCSD Deputy Commander, Pol. Col. Siriwat Deepor, said this regulation is not new because it has been enforced since 2007. The law does not require internet the users to keep the traffic data, known as a log file, and they can still use the service as usual. Coffee shop owner, however, have to retain a log file of their customers’ browsing data. Authorities can use this information to help their investigations and track down offenders. The regulation does not violate users’ privacy, adding that other countries have implemented similar security measures.

The Digital Economy and Society Minister, Buddhipongse Punnakanta, said the Anti-Fake News Center will be launched on November 1 this year. The center will deal with misleading news and information on social media. People can file reports to the center and the information will be forwarded to relevant agencies. The center employs an artificial intelligence (AI) system that can detect fake news and a warning system to alert social media users promptly.

"It’s about developing a platform or a channel for us to communicate with the people, such as Facebook, Line or other applications. We have to be quick to explain to the public why the information is considered fake news. These three procedures are almost complete. As I said, it will begin on November 1. We will monitor the news and information. It’s mostly about how the news is being presented to the people. It’s not about tracking down people and conducting an investigation. They’re different issues."

The news monitoring criteria will cover four groups. The first group is disasters, such as fake news about floods, earthquakes, collapsing dams and tsunamis. The other groups include finance and banking, health, counterfeit and hazardous products and political issues that are considered a threat to national security. Representatives from all government agencies are ready to provide information and support to the Anti-Fake News Center around the clock.

nnt.jpg

Archived