Brexit end game: UK leaves the EU with Johnson's deal - Downing Street source

snoop1130

Brexit end game: UK leaves the EU with Johnson's deal - Downing Street source

84656.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson is seen at the House of Commons in London, Britain October 23, 2019. ©UK Parliament/Jessica Taylor/Handout via REUTERS

LONDON (Reuters) - The United Kingdom will ultimately leave the European Union on the terms of Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Brexit deal even though parliament has complicated the timing of the divorce, a senior Downing Street source said.

“This ends with us leaving with the PM’s deal,” the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said. “We will leave with a deal, with the PM’s deal.”

When asked when Brexit would happen given a deadline of Oct. 31, the source said: “Parliament has taken back control.”

So will there be an election before Christmas? “Perhaps,” the source said. “We shall see.”

Johnson won the top job by staking his career on getting Brexit done by the latest deadline of Oct. 31 after his predecessor, Theresa May, was forced to delay the departure date. Parliament rejected her deal three times, by margins of between 58 and 230 votes earlier this year.

More than three years since the United Kingdom voted 52-48 to be the first sovereign country to leave the European project, the United Kingdom is waiting for the EU to decide how long the latest delay to Brexit should be.

After Johnson clinched a last-minute deal a week ago in Brussels, the British parliament on Tuesday voted 329 to 299 in favour of the second reading of the legislation for the deal but defeated his extremely tight legislative timetable.

Johnson said it was up to the EU to decide whether it wanted to delay Brexit and for how long. European Council President Donald Tusk said he was recommending that the leaders of the EU’s 27 other member states back a delay.

Talks between the opposition Labour Party and whips from Johnson’s Conservative Party on setting a timetable to pass Brexit legislation are ongoing, a Labour source said on Wednesday.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-10-24

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Donald Tusk said he was recommending that the leaders of the EU’s 27 other member states back a delay.

Bad idea Tusk, get the phone Boris and tell other EU members not to back a delay, let's end this TM MP's disease and get out.

26 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Bad idea Tusk, get the phone Boris and tell other EU members not to back a delay, let's end this TM MP's disease and get out.

Could you define please exactly what you mean by "out" and what you expect to happen next?

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Could you define please exactly what you mean by "out" and what you expect to happen next?

Could you define please, exactly why he should have to explain himself to you? The word 'out' is not a difficult word and furthermore, how is he supposed to know, 'please exactly' how the future will pan out - we Brits have always taken risks throughout our history and made all the difficult choices. We're masters at it. 

Let me spell it out for you. WE WANT OUT OF THE EU.

There. Exactly what he means by 'out'!

25 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Could you define please, exactly why he should have to explain himself to you? The word 'out' is not a difficult word and furthermore, how is he supposed to know, 'please exactly' how the future will pan out - we Brits have always taken risks throughout our history and made all the difficult choices. We're masters at it. 

What an odd question. Out means out. Is that too difficult for you ?

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

From the BBC News website this morning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50171649

But France worries a 12-week extension could encourage more UK indecisiveness or a general election which may prove inconclusive on Brexit.

President Emmanuel Macron favours a short, sharp Brexit delay; encouraging MPs and the UK government to concentrate on ratifying the newly-negotiated Brexit deal.

Mr Macron is fed up with the more than three-year EU focus on Brexit and the ever-present threat of a no-deal scenario. He'd rather shift attention to reforming the EU itself, to the benefit (he believes) of the countries remaining in it.

29 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Wrong thread.

29 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Boris working hard under the very difficult circumstances left to him by Cameron and May. Whining Brits should give him their full support.

Good Luck for implementing all the promised he made and the opposite

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

One thing is very clear... Nothing is clear, nothing fixed, nothing agreed ????

Reason why some more time is needed to renegociate, but let's say it's all EU's fault, if not Macron's

I hope the UK DOES NOT accept this false piece of NON Brexit legislation.

A layman’s summary of the EU’s new ‘UK colonisation treaty’ agreed by the PM

1. Parliament will not be sovereign - UK still to be governed by existing and new laws of the ECJ – a foreign court – and
with no say over these laws. [WA articles 4, 87, 89 and 127, PD para 131]

2. Demands payment of a sum to be decided by the EU - Minimum £39 billion but this is likely to increase and the
EU decides the final sum. This must be paid BEFORE any trade deal is agreed. [WA articles 138-144, and 152-155]

3. No trade deal with EU – Not included as this is just a divorce treaty. Any EU trade deal must ensure “a level playing field
for open and fair competition” and “deep regulatory and customs cooperation”. This will make it difficult for the UK to reduce
non-tariff barriers in trade deals with USA, Australia, China, etc. [PD paras 17 & 21]

4. Prevents independent tax policy - Political Declaration still obliges UK to adopt a future relationship which will impose
EU State Aid rules and “relevant tax matters” on the UK. EU specifically intends to curb UK’s ability to have “harmful tax
practices”. Withdrawal Treaty also applies EU law to UK during transition period - allowing EU to sue UK, including infringement
proceedings for as yet unidentified breaches of State Aid rules and billions in VAT on commodity derivative transactions dating
back to 1970s. [PD para 77, WA articles 86, 93, 127].

5. Restricts independent foreign policy - UK to be bound by international agreements concluded by the EU despite
having no influence in their negotiation during the transition period and must “refrain, during the transition period, from any
action... which is likely to be prejudicial” to the interests of the EU. [Articles 129(3) and (6)].

6. Prevents independent military action – UK permanently stopped from taking “any action likely to conflict with or
impede” EU’s foreign policies. Critical parts of section on foreign policy and security are not reciprocal, eg future relationship will
not “prejudice the decision-making autonomy of the EU” but no such language for UK – only permitted to “maintain the right
to determine how [to respond] to any invitation to participate in operations or missions”. Also, parties “agree to consider”
security collaboration in European Defence Agency, European Defence Fund, and PESCO “to the extent possible under [EU law]”
which is prescriptive (not permissive) obligation. Despite paying for European Defence Agency during transition, British troops in
EU battlegroups will not be led by British staff officers. [WA articles 129(6-7) and 156-157 and PD paras 99, 102(c)]

7. Controls UK fishing – Common Fisheries Policy continues in UK waters during transition (which can be extended) but UK
will have no say in implementation or enforcement. After transition, Political Declaration requires “cooperation on... regulation
of fisheries, in a non-discriminatory manner” - code for continuing current arrangements for EU access to UK waters. Any trade
deal to “ensure service providers and investors are treated in a non-discriminatory manner, including with regard to
establishment” - prevents UK protecting quotas from EU purchase. [PD paras 29 and 72]

8. Replaces one EU Commission with another - New body established with “powers equivalent to those of the
European Commission”. UK must accept exclusive jurisdiction of Arbitration Panel and judgments of ECJ. Grants EU officials
criminal immunity and exemption from UK tax. Imposes gagging order on UK which must keep all EU information confidential
but EU can use UK information as it sees fit. [WA articles 74, 101, 104-5, 106-116, 159, 168, 174]

9. Leaves UK with €500bn liabilities from EU Investment Bank but no profits - No rights to past and future
profits made from UK investment in EIB, no rights to UK share of assets of EIB, yet UK remaining liable for risk of up to €500bn of
guarantees. UK must let EU bid for UK public projects at least during transition. [WA articles 34, 75-78, 127, 143, 147, 150].

10. EU colonisation - makes UK bystander in laws that govern it - UK permitted to send civil servant to Brussels to observe
EU passing laws designed to disadvantage UK economy during transition which might last many years. EU could regulate
London’s huge foreign exchange markets, impose financial transaction tax that would be collected at UK expense by HMRC but
sent to foreign governments. [WA article 34]

Prepared by Brexit Facts4EU.Org with advice from a Brussels-based barrister

For more information: https://facts4eu.org/news/2019_oct_eu_treaty_for_uk_colonisation

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Like your optimism that anyone in the EU would listen to what Boris has to say.

Unlikely that Johnson will get the snap election agreed even with all his threats.  Now claiming that if parliament doesn't go along with him he will have the government go on strike! Pathetic beyond belief.  He had Javid admit today that they wouldn't be leaving by the end of October, clearly he is too cowardly to face the press himself.

The only thing stopping the other parties from agreeing to an election is having the threat of no-deal still on the table.  I totally understand the need for having that when negotiating the deal with the EU but that is done now.  That was always Boris's argument for having it there at all.  Now he is using it as a threat to parliament if they don't go along with him.  Another pathetic attempt at bullying.

I am often accused of criticising Johnson unfairly.  Well I stand by everything I have said about him.  The lovable rogue persona has worn much too thin now.

9 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Unlikely that Johnson will get the snap election agreed even with all his threats.  Now claiming that if parliament doesn't go along with him he will have the government go on strike! Pathetic beyond belief.  He had Javid admit today that they wouldn't be leaving by the end of October, clearly he is too cowardly to face the press himself.

The only thing stopping the other parties from agreeing to an election is having the threat of no-deal still on the table.  I totally understand the need for having that when negotiating the deal with the EU but that is done now.  That was always Boris's argument for having it there at all.  Now he is using it as a threat to parliament if they don't go along with him.  Another pathetic attempt at bullying.

I am often accused of criticising Johnson unfairly.  Well I stand by everything I have said about him.  The lovable rogue persona has worn much too thin now.

You are kidding yourself. The only reason Labour and others do not want an election is that the Tories are going to win it. Grow up and get real.

3 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

You are kidding yourself. The only reason Labour and others do not want an election is that the Tories are going to win it. Grow up and get real.

Labour and "others".  That would be Labour, the SNP, DUP, Liberals and the Greens then.  In other words every other party in parliament.  Oh and apparently quite a few Tory MPs are against it too. 

But like I said and Labour has said as well.  If Boris takes no-deal off of the table the GE would get the green light.  Now why wouldn't he do that?

4 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Post #13 explains quite well what I mean. 

What do I expect to happen next is the UK to get dealing with the rest of the world without a noose around its neck and struggled by the EU ponce members.

Furthermore the UK I believe would be in a much better position if it had never joined in the first place.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

From the BBC News website this morning.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50171649

But France worries a 12-week extension could encourage more UK indecisiveness or a general election which may prove inconclusive on Brexit.

President Emmanuel Macron favours a short, sharp Brexit delay; encouraging MPs and the UK government to concentrate on ratifying the newly-negotiated Brexit deal.

Mr Macron is fed up with the more than three-year EU focus on Brexit and the ever-present threat of a no-deal scenario. He'd rather shift attention to reforming the EU itself, to the benefit (he believes) of the countries remaining in it.

Well the sad thing is to me it's a typical EU not wanting UK to leave they want the dosh. ???? 

42 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

If by Others you mean the SNP, they are predicted to take almost every Tory seat in Scotland. We will be able to breathe a sigh of relief as we can proudly say that we have kicked out the Nasty Party from our country, hopefully for good this time. 

Scottish Tories face wipe-out in general election, YouGov poll shows

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Point taken but disagree on your opinion Boris at least his stirring things up unlike EU supporter TM now that was definitely pathetic having her in charge.

I have respect for his decision for an election and maybe his fed up with traitor MP's who constituents voted out and they want to stay in, Boris " Let have one and let the boss decide UK's future the UK's people " what's threatening about that.

Archived