smokey joes bbq at lk metro for sale ?!

kiever

i was visiting pattaya over  6 years and always visit them although they are overpriced. as far as i know it is famous and populer place. why they sale their business ? really pattaya has started to die ? this is a sign for lackness of tourists ? personelly i decided to not go back pattaya after live there 6 months on 2018 . apparently i was not only person to disappoint about pattaya.  just suprised to see them on bahtsold  when i try to find new motobike .

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/two-established-restaurants-18-room-guesthouse-in-central-pattaya-369636

Edited by kiever

I happened to walk by yesterday when they had three fire trucks in front of it. Apparently some small fire. Maybe they were testing the max capabilities of their smokers.

Never really been impressed with their BBQ. Tastes like it's been boiled before smoking.

The seller gives a reason: ' I am selling this business to focus my efforts & resources in a business I am partnered with in Shenzhen, China.'

That's the way of the world now.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Yes. I am not surprised they are selling, crazy prices particularly with the high baht.

It's my favourite steak house in town, but when I last ate there 2 months ago they'd increased the price of a steak quite a bit. Why, when the Baht has been powering ahead against the Aussie dollar, surely prices of imported Australian steak should come down in a sensible world? I know,

I know, this is Thailand...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topt said:

@kiever just correcting a small geographical error in the title - they are in Soi Lengkee not LK Metro :thumbsup:

Puh, so I didn't have to write it :tongue:

Almost opposite of one of my favorite hotels.

Soi Lengkee has a lot of fluctuation over the years.

But this Smoking Joe is (has been) there for long.

Businesses fairly quiet in off-season (was there end of July/first week of August).

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Wasn't it "China Garden" or something before? I actually liked lone star's ribs better, another casualty on that soi.

I vaguely remember such a name.

"long" is relative, a "few" years?

1 minute ago, Beggar said:

I would like to eat beef. But you often get a very tough meat - from a water buffalo? who perhaps had a very tough life despite many donations of foreigners. 

Yes that one is not suitable for steaks. Also they don't age it at all. They do have Thai French cattle which is passable. Other than that, it's all imports. The worst thing about BBQ is getting the firewood here. Even lamyai is hard to find in any quantities. Need to get from up north or Chantanaburi. Imported wood is on par with gold.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gessi2000 said:

I am doing Sous Vide and finishing with a pan or gas burner...however looking for the best, proper, steak and rib selection grocery store...

I get beef from Friendship and ribs from BigC or Makro. Got a real offset smoker so I can do them right, low and slow. Steaks I age 30d and do sous + open flame. It's cheaper and better than any restaurant here, but requires effort and time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gessi2000 said:

I am doing Sous Vide and finishing with a pan or gas burner...however looking for the best, proper, steak and rib selection grocery store...

I take it you're doing that at home?

now IF local restaurants were to serve sous vide (cooked while packed under a decent vacuum and at the right temperature, time etc...) thai beef could actually become more popular than the expensive imports.

On 10/29/2019 at 4:00 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

We eat quite a lot at Joe's BBQ, I like the spareribs.

The steakhouse next door by same owners are just too expensive, can buy imported steaks at BigC+ and grill at home much cheaper and even get drunk in the process. 

i have been doing slighty same for months what you wrote. but i have another tip for all steak lovers. makro sells premium importted angus steaks. go and look their expire  dates. and just before 4 or 5 days than expire date, makro go 50% discount. usually 200 gr packs meats are sold. i buy 8-10 packs and eat everyday 400 gr premium angus tenderloin - ribeye for 4 -5 days. my thai gf make me bbq at balcony. last time at koh phangan i paid 150 baht for per pack 200 gr angus tenderloin imported from oz. she says im cheap charlie ???? but no way to take care her unless im cheap charlie 

Edited by kiever

On 10/29/2019 at 5:21 PM, jastheace said:

now IF local restaurants were to serve sous vide (cooked while packed under a decent vacuum and at the right temperature, time etc...) thai beef could actually become more popular than the expensive imports.

It's a bit better after sous but still not that good. SImply not enough marbling in it.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, bkk6060 said:

The closing of Cherry's I believe was the tipping point of the transition of this place.

Several western type BBQ places also closed or closing.

How many years was Cherry's in business?  Great food now closed.

The changing of the scene is in progress.

Western type places are on the outs.  Chinese and Indians do not want to go.

In fact ask them about Soi Lengee or LK Metro food and they have no idea.

Falang are all scared about Visa, insurance, etc. and playing the cheap charlie card.

So, wow.  Anyone opening or having a western type food joint good luck.

A huge food transition is taking place.  Food courts are still popular and will be if properly priced.

Every time I go to T21 food court it is packed.  Why spend 400 b+ on a meal when you can get stuffed for 100 b.

This is not the French Riviera.  Many come here because it is advertised as a "cheap" tourist destination.

So cheap they seek.

Yes, I was lamenting this in the hit and run thread a year ago. Answer from TVF jury was nah, farang places will stay. Not so, now it's gizzards in oil and boiled pig guts. Enjoy. 

Luckily I can cook myself.

On 10/29/2019 at 11:10 AM, steven100 said:

tourist tend to watch their dollars more than before hence they won't pay 400+ for a steak, this coupled with slightly cheaper places opening that cater for the 200-300 meal, and more folks eating chicken & pork.

Steak is still very affordable at Big-C extra....They will even cook it right there for you....Hell of a good steak maybe 150 baht..

Big-C extra sells a cut of beef called Araignee it is awesome at 360 baht a kilo.....In the west this cut is not easy to find I have read....I just have them cook it for about 10-15 minutes.....VERY good...

The araignée (air-ran yeah), or spider steak, is a cut of beef that's much more common in France than in the US, but even there you'll need to go to a real butcher who works on whole carcasses. The araignée or gobet is the muscle that forms a hump at the top of the backbone.Sep 24, 2012

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yes, I was lamenting this in the hit and run thread a year ago. Answer from TVF jury was nah, farang places will stay. Not so, now it's gizzards in oil and boiled pig guts. Enjoy. 

Beefeater is as popular as it ever was. Still have to book a table for peak times. Was there before Steak & Co and will be there when it's gone.

Golden rule for any restaurant any where in the world:

If you charge premium prices, you need to serve premium quality, something that S&C failed to do. Tried it a couple of times at the behest of friends. Was OK but overpriced. Not in the same league as Beefeater.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I was at Beefeater last Sunday. They have managed to capture Chinese customers. I'd guess they ended up on some Chinese mobile app. Lucky for them. It's also in much better location for tourists.

S&C I never really liked their steaks, they should age them a bit. Beefeater has better sauces, their meat is ok. Best meat I've found is at Arno's, but T21 is a horrible place to eat in.

Beefeater are handily placed for passing trade from The Base. Word of mouth and postings on WeChat does the (free) marketing.