Crackdown on sidewalk riding: 18 million in fines collected - 7 million in last three months alone

webfact

Crackdown on sidewalk riding: 18 million in fines collected - 7 million in last three months alone

5pm.jpg
Picture: Naew Na

Despite a widespread campaign by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to stop motorcyclists riding on the footpaths and sidewalks of the capital riders continue to break the law. 

That was the message from BMA deputy Sakonthee Phatthiyakun when he spoke to Naew Na in Klong Samwa district - one of the places where there are most offenders. 

The others are Wattana, Pom Prap Satru Phai and Chatuchak. 

But Sakonthee said that a survey shows that most members of the public and the "win" riders (motorcycle taxis) agree with increases in fines and removal of jackets for three years. 

Since the campaign to end sidewalk riding started in 50 districts in July of 2018 fines totalling 18,734,300 baht have been collected. Some 4,225 people have received warnings, 18,751 have been prosecuted and 2,069 are pending. 

In the last three months since fines were raised from 1,000 baht to 2,000 baht a total of seven million baht has been collected in fines. 

More than 90% of the public and "wins" surveyed agreed with the action and increase in fines with more than 70% agreeing with the removal of "win" jackets for three years.

The removal of the jackets for so long has been criticised by some riders as too punitive, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-01

Directly IN FRONT of the big police station on the Beach Road in Pattaya is a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights. Even if the traffic has the red stop light not everyone really stops. Especially motorbikes but even some car drivers don't care. There needs to be a camera that takes pictures of such vehicles. But on the other hand just recently I could read that the (new) fine for driving through a red light is only 300 Baht... 

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

Good to read this kind of article on this forum. So many ThaiVisa's members pretending that nobody ever pays the new fines of new more restrictive rules. Just one more proof that they are wrong :cool:

The new fines that I found somewhere are shocking (the interpretation why I leave up to you). I still can't believe that this information is correct. So if someone has better information please correct me. 

- Drunk driving: imprisoned up to 1 year/fine up to 20,000 baht

• Not paying annual tax: fine up to 2,000 baht

• No license plate: fine up to 2,000 baht

• Allow another person who doesn’t have a driving license to drive your vehicle: fine up to 2,000 baht

• Driving without driving license: imprisoned up to 1 months/fine up to 1,000 baht

• Driving a noisy vehicle, such as a loud exhaust: fine 500 baht

• Overtaking another vehicle from the left: fine 400 baht

• Driving over the speed limit: fine 400 baht

• Taking a turn without using signal blinkers: fine 400 baht

• Driving through a red light: fine 300 baht

• Taking a U-turn in the wrong place: fine 200 baht

• Parking at a no parking area: fine 200 baht

• Driving motorbike with no helmet: fine 200 baht

13 minutes ago, Beggar said:

The new fines that I found somewhere are shocking (the interpretation why I leave up to you). I still can't believe that this information is correct.

"cant believe"?  You mean all the traffic offenses that are never enforced? Or the small amount of each fine?

OMG is this for real...........can you please get the BIB to permanently chain themselves to Lat Phrao Soi 84 on Pradit Manutham, 7 days a week from 07:00 to  19:00.

Right here below.............they can make a load of tea money................from these motorcycle taxi morons.

BTW just up the road at Central Festival Eastville, the big yellow sign at the entrance says fines of 5,000 Baht for motorcycles riding on footpath..... now that's getting more serious....except in almost 3 years I have never seen a motorcycle taxi fined for this offence anywhere in my area.....seen plenty of poor locals nabbed..............you have to ask yourself why is this so professor?

Wink... wink ...nudge ..nudge....

575298073_BIBmotorcyclefootpathfines.png.cff5a5fcd6ae56724828140b792ca3b5.png

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Despite a widespread campaign by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to stop motorcyclists riding on the footpaths and sidewalks of the capital riders continue to break the law. 

The fines are making the police rich, but does nothing to deter the riders... they pay the fine then go straight back to the sidewalks.

Confiscate the bike for one month & a month in the nearest barracks if a re-offence takes place!

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

The new fines that I found somewhere are shocking (the interpretation why I leave up to you). I still can't believe that this information is correct. So if someone has better information please correct me. 

- Drunk driving: imprisoned up to 1 year/fine up to 20,000 baht

• Not paying annual tax: fine up to 2,000 baht

• No license plate: fine up to 2,000 baht

• Allow another person who doesn’t have a driving license to drive your vehicle: fine up to 2,000 baht

• Driving without driving license: imprisoned up to 1 months/fine up to 1,000 baht

• Driving a noisy vehicle, such as a loud exhaust: fine 500 baht

• Overtaking another vehicle from the left: fine 400 baht

• Driving over the speed limit: fine 400 baht

• Taking a turn without using signal blinkers: fine 400 baht

• Driving through a red light: fine 300 baht

• Taking a U-turn in the wrong place: fine 200 baht

• Parking at a no parking area: fine 200 baht

• Driving motorbike with no helmet: fine 200 baht

I don't know when these fines (the monetary level) was set but if they were uprated according to annual inflation & then yearly to reflect inflation they may prove to be more of a deterrent. Just a thought.........

6 hours ago, Beggar said:

Directly IN FRONT of the big police station on the Beach Road in Pattaya is a pedestrian crossing with traffic lights. Even if the traffic has the red stop light not everyone really stops. Especially motorbikes but even some car drivers don't care. There needs to be a camera that takes pictures of such vehicles. But on the other hand just recently I could read that the (new) fine for driving through a red light is only 300 Baht... 

There's a video on YouTube that shows even the police driving through one of the pedestrian red lights in Pattaya. Just the way it is in the Me First society.

BRIng on the Full Monty, speed cameras on all roads, vans and buses and all public transport blocked at 90, CCTV everywhere. Fines paid or vehicle confiscated. New driving licenses /schools in full force. Truck companies that confiscate illegally parked cars and bikes. Fines only paid by credit card . This will not only bring in billions of Baht to the government But will certainly save some of the 20 000 +++ deaths on the worlds most dangerous roads. 

2 hours ago, thaipod said:

But they ( motorcycle taxis) still ride their bikes on to the footpaths and have their motorcycles lined up for rides and then ride on the footpath to get to the road.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

And at times the BIB are the culprits riding.

Tell me about it, the last time I was in Bangkok, there was a rider heading towards me on a very narrow part of the sidewalk, I stopped him and told him to get on the road, he opened his jacket, laughed at me and said "me policeman" showing me his uniform, obviously I just let him past.

Archived