Motorcycle taxis: BMA aims to move all ranks off the sidewalks by year's end

webfact

Motorcycle taxis: BMA aims to move all ranks off the sidewalks by year's end

3pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

Naew Na reported that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration were pressing ahead with efforts to move all motorcycle taxi ranks or "wins" off the sidewalks of the capital. 

There were 495 ranks throughout the capital who were using the sidewalk to tout for business. 

Since 2014 this was allowed so long as ranks complied with orders to wheel bikes up onto the sidewalk before waiting for custom.

Some complied with this compromise but some did not. 

As the BMA press on with fining all riders on the sidewalks it has been decided to find alternative places off the sidewalks for all the ranks in the city across the capital's 50 districts. 

Naew Na said that this had already been done in 100 of the northern area's 253 ranks.

Though no timeframe for their removal has been made Sakonthee Patthiyakun, deputy governor, said that he hoped that everything would be sorted by the end of this year. 

In total there are 88,578 riders registered as wins in the capital spread across 5,513 ranks. 

Source: Naew Na

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-05
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keith101 said:

Fines of 5,000 baht and 2 demerit points per rider for non compliance would get them off the sidewalks faster than anything else .

I bet they never have gotten the fine of 5000 baht...that's why they now have a new rule which is confiscating their permit for 3 years.

But they still drive against traffic everywhere, causing accidents and making thailand look like a lawless place.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Youlike said:

I bet they never have gotten the fine of 5000 baht...that's why they now have a new rule which is confiscating their permit for 3 years.

But they still drive against traffic everywhere, causing accidents and making thailand look like a lawless place.

They ake it bloody convenient to get around too as wel running errands, paying bills, making pickups, hell they even helped me move once and one of them is my plumber/handyman. 

My local win are incredibly helpful useful folks.  Known some of them for 15 years and they keep an eye on things in the neighborhood too. 

Edited by metempsychotic
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, metempsychotic said:

Certainly mornings and evenings, they run up and down my Soi non stop. 

This Nation's need for convienence ,is what is destroying the paradise  we once loved....scooter taxis on evry corner, bumper to bumper diesel smoke belching bhat buses, tour buses triple parked from end to end on beach rd,.old run down 2 stroke tuk tuk's and speed boats ( which are even banned in India). thais eating every meal from a street food cart with all that plastic and foam..the list is long..no sir , convience is killing this Once great Kingdom....

Edited by mok199

9 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Ever been late for an important meeting in Bangkok?

You'll be glad of their creative navigation skills.

Personally I think they are are a great service for short trips, and in 10 years of using them regularly, I've not seen any cause an accident.

The Taxis and vans are a different matter regarding road safety.

I could not agree more the time they have saved me over the years ,been on some logger trips never more than 100 baht .

Tighten up the laws how many will be out of a job ,for near all of them that is they main income ,what else will they do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mok199 said:

This Nation's need for convienence ,is what is destroying the paradise  we once loved....scooter taxis on evry corner, bumper to bumper diesel smoke belching bhat buses, tour buses triple parked from end to end on beach rd,.old run down 2 stroke tuk tuk's and speed boats ( which are even banned in India). thais eating every meal from a street food cart with all that plastic and foam..the list is long..no sir , convience is killing this Once great Kingdom....

You seem to be talking about Pattaya. Even that was horrible in the 1980s.

Try Bangkok - it is getting to be a cleaner, better and more convenient city with every passing year. Yes we might even slip into the sea....win win. 

Rooster

On 11/5/2019 at 8:39 PM, mok199 said:

Not sure what "paradise" you are referring to, the real one or your imaginary one. As far as I am concerned, the wins, tuk tuks, and food carts are an integral part of the "paradise" I consider to be Thailand, and I believe most Thai people would agree that they are a fundamental part of the life they have known forever. However, I agree with you that the increasing tour bus traffic, increasingly annoying jet skis, and the lack of policy on plastic bags and foam boxes are detrimental to be sure. It will be important for Thai policy makers to strike a reasonable balance, or, in my opinion, they risk destroying the very things that make Thailand special.

2 hours ago, timendres said:

fundamental part of the life they have known forever

I refuse to debate this with someone who thinks '' funamentals'' and old way culture, is more important than clean air and water..take a few hours and watch a busy street food vendor ..it is absolutely disgusting the plastics and foam...everyone can make a change....have a good day