Gunmen kill Mormon family members in north Mexico

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, pegman said:

100% American guns used.

Many guns like the Avtomat Kalashnikova  AK47 aren't American and a favorite go to for warlords and thugs. I think I even heard somewhere it was the Coca Cola of guns in war zones. But I take the point. Perhaps we should secure the border and stop the flow going out.

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I've wondered in the past why kidnapping hasn't taken off in SEA as it has in some other areas of the world such as (at least parts of) Latin America.

Good question. 

I don't know. I suspect it is a cultural difference issue, but I really don't know

It would be a good subject for a new thread, that is sure to provoke lively debate. 

On 11/5/2019 at 10:34 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Note to self: " Mark Mexico off your bucket list".   ????

A friend of mine (same Peace Corps group in Thailand) wrote the original Lonely Planet series of travel books for Thailand.  Years later he was branching out into Mexico. I think he quickly marked Mexico off the list as a second home.  Joe Cummings.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It worked when they revoked prohibition, how many gunfights have there been with bootleggers recently?

So why wouldn't it work if they legalised recreational drugs?

I don't think the crime stopped then.  It just moved on.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:33 AM, car720 said:

So it would seem that the answer to all drug problems is to legalize them all but I don't think that would stop the extortion etc.., etc..

As a person who leans libertarian, I tend to support legalizing drugs. However, many people don't eye the issue well enough. There is still a black market for pot in states where it is legal because the cost of taxes and regulations increases the price to the consumer. There's no reason to think the same wouldn't happen with other drugs. Thus, the people who think cartels and their violence will go away with drug legalization are being a bit naive.

• Like 2