O/A visa and insurance experience today

55 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Is there any recent experience from someone who has reentered at DMK with a still valid (1st year) O-A.

I have not noticed any which makes me think not being required to show insurance as there would otherwise likely be some posts.

As far as we know new entries on OAs issued before the 31st are no longer being asked for it at airports, so stands to reason re-entries on  same would not be either.

But cannot be sure especially since most people on OAs would likely enter at Suvanabhumi

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's some examples from Pacific Cross... Check the appropriate age group for you and your wife... And then if you're willing to have annual deductibles, you can discount the standard premium amounts by between 25% and 50%.

1853453906_2019-11-0111_14_08.jpg.a9a09bbb263663c7f46ab73d63197a2a.jpg

926123282_PacificCrossPremierPremiums2019forALLAges.jpg.bac7baf65193a586c1a56e796cd94c2d.jpg

1221775780_PacificCrossMaxima2019AllAgePremiumRates.jpg.f025971f285f05263034a02eeedf22ce.jpg

1209056747_PacificCrossMaxima2019DeductibleDiscounts.jpg.3086e90ad9728a81d3afa51de307d319.jpg

Just as an example, if you look at the annual premium amounts for the Premier plan, the cost basically doubles for people in their early 60s compared to the premiums once you're in your early 70s... Just as a function of being +- 10 years older.

Have you (or anyone else) actually taken out a policy with them and if so how long did it take to process?

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Have you (or anyone else) actually taken out a policy with them and if so how long did it take to process?

I've had a PC policy for all my years in Thailand. But I took it out long ago via an agent, so probably not good to answer your specific question.

Though I would add, for Pacific Cross, if they're going to write a new policy for someone 65 or older, they're going to require a physical exam with a doctor prior. And that's certainly going to add to whatever policy application time exists.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Here's some examples from Pacific Cross... Check the appropriate age group for you and your wife... And then if you're willing to have annual deductibles, you can discount the standard premium amounts by between 25% and 50%.

1853453906_2019-11-0111_14_08.jpg.a9a09bbb263663c7f46ab73d63197a2a.jpg

926123282_PacificCrossPremierPremiums2019forALLAges.jpg.bac7baf65193a586c1a56e796cd94c2d.jpg

1221775780_PacificCrossMaxima2019AllAgePremiumRates.jpg.f025971f285f05263034a02eeedf22ce.jpg

1209056747_PacificCrossMaxima2019DeductibleDiscounts.jpg.3086e90ad9728a81d3afa51de307d319.jpg

Just as an example, if you look at the annual premium amounts for the Premier plan, the cost basically doubles for people in their early 60s compared to the premiums once you're in your early 70s... Just as a function of being +- 10 years older.

Thanks a lot for this.  It is very helpful.

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Please see this pinned thread which shows actual costs for all policies that guarantee lifetime renewal or renewal to age 99.

That's why I posted the Pacific Cross details above, in that they're one of only a handful of the Thai insurers on the O-A list that will write new policies for folks 66 and above and then continue those policies without canceling them due to age.  For the older folks in the O-A scheme, there's not many insurers to choose from.  And Pacific Cross, to their credit, has quite a few difference policy / cover amount options that all are acceptable under the O-A scheme.

61312095_2019-11-1412_42_59.jpg.44a30b10647e745d4174dc93ea5924e3.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's why I posted the Pacific Cross details above, in that they're one of only a handful of the Thai insurers on the O-A list that will write new policies for folks 66 and above and then continue those policies without canceling them due to age.  For the older folks in the O-A scheme, there's not many insurers to choose from.  And Pacific Cross, to their credit, has quite a few difference policy / cover amount options that all are acceptable under the O-A scheme.

61312095_2019-11-1412_42_59.jpg.44a30b10647e745d4174dc93ea5924e3.jpg

The actual chart on that thread also shows costs for each of those policies

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The actual chart on that thread also shows costs for each of those policies

Sheryl, do you have/have access to the full age-by-age group premium rates for the Thaivivat and Viriyah policies, similar to those that I posted above from Pacific Cross?  If so, could you post them here and/or in your pinned O-A insurance threads?

And any word on whether the other two insurers allow deductibles and related premium discounts for their O-A compliant policies?  I noticed your chart even regarding Pacific Cross doesn't make any mention of their deductible options, but does mention their no claims discounts....

I've never seen the full actual premium rate charts from either of those other two providers for their O-A compliant policies...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

59 minutes ago, Jorge Owen said:

Thanks for the response.  I'm aware of the governments requirement, but up to now haven't a clear idea of even ballpark figures for monthly/annual insurance expenses.  It's a concern as my wife and I have been here for a few years now, have the car, condo, etc. and have a budget that basically allows us to break even.  This new regulation is a potential bank breaker.  Especially if, as some on TV are suggesting, choices that are acceptable by Immigration are limited to a few companies that offer not so good plans.  That said, I'm aware that premiums go up as one gets older.

Too lazy to research this lengthy thread to find out what kind of health coverage you and your wife currently have. But if you you have none, maybe you should be aware that in your "break even" situation somewhere down the road there is a lot worse to come than Thai Immigration's mandatory health insurance.

2 minutes ago, Momofarang said:

Too lazy to research this lengthy thread to find out what kind of health coverage you and your wife currently have. But if you you have none, maybe you should be aware that in your "break even" situation somewhere down the road there is a lot worse to come than Thai Immigration's mandatory health insurance.

Such as?

......or is this another crystal ball moment. 

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Sheryl, do you have/have access to the full age-by-age group premium rates for the Thaivivat and Viriyah policies, similar to those that I posted above from Pacific Cross?  If so, could you post them here and/or in your pinned O-A insurance threads?

And any word on whether the other two insurers allow deductibles and related premium discounts for their O-A compliant policies?  I noticed your chart even regarding Pacific Cross doesn't make any mention of their deductible options, but does mention their no claims discounts....

I've never seen the full actual premium rate charts from either of those other two providers for their O-A compliant policies...

1. Thaivivat is 120,000 baht from age 76 onward.  You can find their chart on their website.  Viriyah is not listed, would have to ask the company.

2. No deductibles.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

1. Thaivivat is 120,000 baht from age 76 onward.  You can find their chart on their website.  Viriyah is not listed, would have to ask the company.

2. No deductibles.

Thanks.... from Thaivivat.... just in comparison and contrast to the Pacific Cross info above:

1347350771_2019-11-1413_14_42.jpg.900fbeb3437fdccc08228c8326bc4aff.jpg

947151020_2019-11-1413_14_14.jpg.3644218b054613b4c661ba4afbf36156.jpg

So only their bare minimum 400K policy is available for new issuance for folks beyond age 70?

10 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Many thanks for posting this, very informative... 

Can I just confirm that i've got this correct... a 54 year old can get 1.2Million cover (Premier Plan) for  35,346 pa & 1/2 this by agreeing to pay the 1st 300,000 (Essentially meaning they'd have 900,000 cover for 17,673) and this would still meet the Immigration requirement?

Apparently so. But note that even with maximum deductible the premium will eventually exceed 100,000 baht as you age  so factor that into your planning. Also note that annual inflationary increases are to be expected and -- very important! -- they can raise your premium on an individual basis if you have large claim. I think by as much as 25%.

there are other intermediate deductible options, does nto have to be 300k

deductible 100,000 reduces premium by 32.5%

deductible 200,000 reduces premium by 40%

Obviously need to consider your ability to pay (access to rapid cash) in deciding deductible amount. I would not recommend this approach for someone who has no other insurance and little or no savings.

Also note that while renewal is guaranteed up to age 99, policy upgrades are not. In other words if you elect a deductible now it may not be possible to remove it later, especially if you have had any claims or are over 75. So really need to do long term financial planning, not just go for what is cheapest now.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Many thanks for posting this, very informative... 

Can I just confirm that i've got this correct... a 54 year old can get 1.2Million cover (Premier Plan) for  35,346 pa & 1/2 this by agreeing to pay the 1st 300,000 (Essentially meaning they'd have 900,000 cover for 17,673) and this would still meet the Immigration requirement?

Have we had a definitive answer about whether deductibles are OK as I've seen different views on whether they'd be acceptable or not...

Believe your comments above are correct... Except that the deductible applies both against any inpatient or outpatient expenses in a year... And I believe in the case of the Premier plan (unlike the fuller coverage Maxima and Ultima lines), Pacific Cross's outpatient coverage is limited to XXXX baht per visit capped at so many visits per year. So effectively there would be no regular outpatient coverage effectively if deductibles were chosen with the Premier line policy. With the Maxima and Ultima line of policies the total cover amounts apply equally to both inpatient and outpatient expenses -- they are not capped by so much per outpatient visit and so many visits per year.

And yes, Pacific Cross has confirmed that deductibles are allowed under their O-A policies in the lines of Standard Extra, Premier, Maxima and Ultima -- but not the low cover, high cost Platinum line.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a question (I might have shot myself in the foot).

I'm here on my 2nd year of a Non O-A visa and I'm good until April 1st of 2020. 

I recently bought a round trip ticket to HCMC at the end of May 2020 to apply for a Non-O based on marriage to my Thai wife (changing to Non-O since I already have great insurance and do not want to buy a useless throwaway policy just to extend my O-A based on retirement).  I had planned to get a 60 extension (to visit my Thai wife) allowing me to stay in country until the end of May 2020 (instead of leaving at the end of March 2020).

Is Immigration now going to tell me that I need a Thai Insurance policy just to get a 60 day extension to visit my Thai wife??

Sheryl?  Ubonjoe?

As FYI, last week when the American Citizen Services (ACS) US Embassy Bangkok sent our their email to US citizens living in Thailand (if you are registered with them as living in Thailand) talking the new insurance requirement it contained info that implied US insurance polices should be easily accepted.   But we know that is not the case. 

Anyway, like Sheryl had done I sent ACS an email pointing out issues, asking for their advocacy to the Thai govt to allow US insurance polices like Tricare which provide worldwide coverage, etc....etc....etc.  

Below is their apply alone with two attachments.  One being a MoPH doc I hadn't seen before and the other the police order in Thai & English that I had seen/is posted on ThaiVisa.  

Thank you for your email.

The U.S. Embassy is aware there are a number of questions and concerns in response to the new Thai health insurance mandate for those applying for, and extending, long-stay “O” visas.

Know that we are continuing to advocate with the Royal Thai Government on this issue.  We estimate approximately 75,000 U.S. citizens have some sort of long-stay visa.  Our main point of advocacy is ensuring U.S. citizens can use their existing insurance to meets the minimum coverage requirements per the new mandate.

Please find attached both the original Police Order announcing the new health insurance requirement and information and guidance provided directly by Ministry of Public Health’s Department of Health Service Support.  Any inquiries regarding your specific visa situation and compliance with the new regulations should be directed to the Ministry of Public Health and/or the Immigration Bureau. 

Respectfully,

DP

Guideline Long Stay 1 year.pdf

Police Mandate re health insurance requirements.pdf

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks very much Pib!  That long document from the MoPH is the first time I've ever seen sight of such a thing in good ole' English... Too bad MoPH didn't see fit to distribute it to the expat community here.

From a quick read, there's language in there that appears to support the notion that the insurance requirement is going to required for O-A extensions of stay.

534388725_2019-11-1415_31_27.jpg.098a146d23aa977a77beb4257cd609cf.jpg

1436691862_2019-11-1415_32_29.jpg.e522416eb23f6c97694ff1ee9a975a9e.jpg

Meanwhile, the Thais certainly do love their "One Stop Service Centers."  First I've ever heard of such a thing existing, if it actually does, re the O-A insurance issue.

1192178117_2019-11-1415_29_47.jpg.d0252f2708b63397682c1986c3c35c22.jpg

So am I correct in thinking that point 4 above means that the existing O-A holder can enter Immigration but must have Insurance at the point of renewing their extension? 

6 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

So am I correct in thinking that point 4 above means that the existing O-A holder can enter Immigration but must have Insurance at the point of renewing their extension? 

I'm quite certain they wanted to write this:

reenter.png.c22795778b6ddab5d3f511f87a4b89cc.png

"re-visa" just doesn't make sense. Of course this is also not 100% correct.

Edited by jackdd

2 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Keep in mind, it's a Ministry of Public Health doc, not an Immigration one.... But, with that said, that's certainly what it appears to be saying.

15 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My presumption was that their "re-visa" term meant applying for another/future O-A, i.e., next time round.

That is mine as well. Get a new visa or extend permission of stay. Not re-enter.

• Thanks 1