O/A visa and insurance experience today

2 minutes ago, saiber said:

Where i have to leave the country every 90 days... not my intentions. O-A is absoloutely the perfect visa . ( from now on only if they accept a foreign insurer and stop this "Go-Hock" regarding mandatory Thai insurer. ) 

Perhaps you misunderstand how to use an O visa for retirement status. First you get a 90 day O visa. Then you apply for your first annual extension based on retirement. There is no need to leave Thailand at all while on annual retirement extensions. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Perhaps you misunderstand how to use an O visa for retirement status. First you get a 90 day O visa. Then you apply for your first annual extension based on retirement. There is no need to leave Thailand at all while on annual retirement extensions. 

No misunderstanding. At the Thai Embassy in Berlin (Germany) you can apply for 1 year multiple entry NON-O visa ( based on over 50 ). If i would go that way with NON O i would do it yearly in Berlin.

Edited by saiber

Well the good news is the insurance is a lot cheaper than I originally thought. The agent confirmed the price today. He suggested I go for the pacific cross standard extra and take the full deductible which for my age group brings it down to 16k baht pa. And since there is little chance of me making a claim the premium benefits from a no claims discount in the first few years.

Obviously I'd rather not be forking out on something worthless to line other's peoples pockets, but it could be worse. I believe I read somewhere that in Cambodia you pay $300 for an annual visa anyway. 

And in the meantime before extension is due, I'll have to take the chance I'll be allowed to re-enter without insurance.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, saiber said:

No misunderstanding. At the Thai Embassy in Berlin (Germany) you can apply for 1 year multiple entry NON-O visa ( based on over 50 ). If i would go that way with NON O i would do it yearly in Berlin.

If that works for you. But if you want to avoid the 90 day reentry thing you have the option to get retirement extensions in Thailand with no insurance requirement. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, saiber said:

Where i have to leave the country every 90 days... not my intentions. O-A is absoloutely the perfect visa . ( from now on only if they accept a foreign insurer and stop this "Go-Hock" regarding mandatory Thai insurer. ) 

There's nothing perfect with the O-A Visa. O based on retirement is the smartest,and no insurance needed. Extendable annualy at Immigration. 

32 minutes ago, saiber said:

You still don't understand. You're not "doing" anything yearly at home. The O is almost same as the O-A,but no police record check,no medical check and no insurance needed. And you apply for the extension in Thailand for 1900 baht/year. But you start with the 90 days Non-Immigrant O,then after 60 days you can apply for the 1 year extension if you meet the financial requirements.

2 minutes ago, saiber said:

and after I have "dumped" my 800.000 THB ,at this exchange rate , they will have the funny idea and introduce a new insurance rule also for NON - O ...... Thank you. Plan -B-  , moving to Spain where retirees are more welcome.

Spain? Do you know how much it cost to live there? Bad choice. 

45 minutes ago, britishjohn said:

Well the good news is the insurance is a lot cheaper than I originally thought. The agent confirmed the price today. He suggested I go for the pacific cross standard extra and take the full deductible which for my age group brings it down to 16k baht pa. And since there is little chance of me making a claim the premium benefits from a no claims discount in the first few years.

Obviously I'd rather not be forking out on something worthless to line other's peoples pockets, but it could be worse. I believe I read somewhere that in Cambodia you pay $300 for an annual visa anyway. 

And in the meantime before extension is due, I'll have to take the chance I'll be allowed to re-enter without insurance.

If you don’t mind me asking how old are you ?

I'm not sure this adds much at this point since we've gone so far off track.
My experience this evening at BKK with background info:
I applied for and rec'd an O-A visa in New York on Sept 16, 2019

Arrived in Thailand on Sept 24 and was given a permission to stay of Sept 22, 2020 (no idea why it was a day short).

I departed from BKK the morning of Nov 7. I asked for a reentry permit. They explained that my O-A was ME and I don't need it. I explained that I did not have insurance and wanted to return on the same permission to stay. It took a half hour of further debating with 4 IO's before they agreed to give me the permit, which took another half hour to issue.
I arrived back at BKK this evening at about 5:00pm. I filled out my arrival card with the reentry number (I wanted it canceled). They accepted it, canceled the reentry permit and stamped me in til Sept 22, 2020, as they should. There was no mention of insurance.

As an aside, I've mentioned in other similar threads that I've been in Thailand for almost 15 years on a variety of visas -- O, SETV, 2ETV, 3ETV, METV, and visa exempt. Posters on TV and friends have commented that they wouldn't want to deal with the uncertainty that would bring. There was never any uncertainty. I knew what I was entitled to and followed the rules. I've entered Thailand about 70 times at 9 different entry points. Only once was I questioned and that was Visa Exempt when I had a ticket out of Thailand in 14 days. This was my first time on an O-A and it's the only time there has ever been any uncertainty. If I can't convert this to an Extension based on Retirement in Sept 2021, I'll be going back to Tourist Visas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am curious to see what is next, Basically the US, UK, Ausi's. Have to have money in the bank for retirement. Now the insurance thing.

The only other thing I can think of is the embassy's that still offer the letter for retirement. That has got to be in the chopping block pretty soon. That would pretty much close the loop.

37 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You still don't understand. You're not "doing" anything yearly at home. The O is almost same as the O-A,but no police record check,no medical check and no insurance needed. And you apply for the extension in Thailand for 1900 baht/year. But you start with the 90 days Non-Immigrant O,then after 60 days you can apply for the 1 year extension if you meet the financial requirements.

This guy is spot on 

I have been here 7 yr on extension of permission of stay based on retirement. 

I decided to change to non O-A. Main reason was could keep funds AU.

Insurance issue came along, big deal.,..I stuck with extensions. Easy 

What's the fuss? You no want O-A <deleted> get a non o

1 hour ago, garyk said:

I am curious to see what is next, Basically the US, UK, Ausi's. Have to have money in the bank for retirement. Now the insurance thing.

The only other thing I can think of is the embassy's that still offer the letter for retirement. That has got to be in the chopping block pretty soon. That would pretty much close the loop.

There are no reason at all for the rest of the embassies to stop issuing income letters. You don't seem to know that the affidavits from the UK,US and Australian embassies didn't show stamped and signed documented pension. That's what the income letter from other countries embassies do,and that's what Immigration wants. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, el jefe said:

That's exactly correct. And they could effectively be stretched for 15 months. Those ME-O visas were great for people who spent a lot of time in Thailand but traveled often and returned to their home country at least once a year. If I could still get one of those, that's what I would be using.

A friend gets exactly that visa every year in Savannakhet; and has done so for many many years. This year as well!

On 11/14/2019 at 6:02 PM, saengd said:

The forum hasn't heard of one person yet you know of several this week......sorry, but that's not even a little bit credible.

Well he said a few actually. YOU said several! Perhaps he is an agent or associated with one. The guys who got the extensions via agents, bypassing insurance requirements, may well not feel like posting on the internet about it. I at least feel pleased to hear it. 

On 11/14/2019 at 4:44 PM, Sheryl said:

Are you sure an Agent can help on the insurance front? We have so far had no reports of that.

Before anyone goes into any illegal scheme with an agent I'd suggest to have a look at the attached figures. They are based on Pacific Cross' minimal plan that allows a 300k deductible.

The yearly cost in my case would be in the 20k to 30k range and I'd stay legal. As far as I am concerned, as I have an unlimited with deductibles,  the sole purpose of this plan would be to fulfil the immigration requirement. So I might consider it as a very last resort.

For those advocating self insurance I think such a plan used in conjunction with a Health capital of half a million could offer obvious advantages.aran

My figures should also deter people from considering Thailand Elite, as TE costs would be way higher and there is garantie that HI won't come into the picture.

HIvsThaiElite.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

The decision to stop issuing the letters was the Embassies' not Immigration. Immigration was far from happy with it and would much prefer that Embassies do this rather than IOs having to review bank statements. 

Interestingly, this thread posted today re a response from the British Embassy suggests Immigration had more of a role in the spurring the decision than your comment above suggests....

the drivers for the decision to cease providing income verification letters was that the British Embassy is unable to verify the various incomes of British Nationals, which was what the Thai Immigration Bureau expected these letters to do. It was therefore an unsustainable service.

the decision to cease providing these letters was never taken lightly. But after extensive discussions with Thai authorities and with the FCO in London it was clear that we had to stop issuing these. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rengaw98 said:

I have a question I have a ALLIANZ world wide insurance which for example does direct billing with Bumrungrad. Do I still need another insurance

If you can get the foreign insurance certificate from them you can get an OA visa with it.

In case you want to get an extension for retirement after you entered Thailand with an OA visa, then this insurance will not be accepted.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 8:21 AM, ubonjoe said:

Apparently not all immigration officers have gotten the message it does not apply to a visa issued prior to October 31st.

I seems the person that stamped you in to  the country for a year was aware of that.

I changed from an ED visa in Thailand to a retirement visa in Thailand about 5 years ago. 4 Extensions in Thailand since. Am I right in thinking that it must be a non imm 0 visa (not 0-A) and doesn't need health insurance?

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interestingly, this thread posted today re a response from the British Embassy suggests Immigration had more of a role in the spurring the decision than your comment above suggests....

Immigration required the income/pension to be documented,stamped and signed by authorities/insurance companies and/or banks. Just like income letters from other embassies. Immigration didn't accept sworn testaments = fake testaments. Then the UK embassy said that they weren't "experts in verifying documents", which is bs. So they stopped issuing income letters. So, don't blame Immigration. 

• Like 1