O/A visa and insurance experience today

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

So why don't you start with telling us which immigration office you belong to? If I want correct info about the O-A Visa and insurances, I wouldn't ask the officer behind the 90 days report desk. They have by far the easiest and most simple job at immigration. 

What immigration office do you belong to?

How many offices have a dedicated 90 day report desk? I've never seen to one.

On 11/22/2019 at 7:47 PM, saiber said:

I did exactly the same with my German insurer ( Hanse Merkur ). They also checked and after a while I got the signed and stamped certificate posted back to me. 

I don't see why an expat foreign insurer would not sign the certificate.  Let's suppose they understood the on the surface wording of the Thai insurance needs.  Now let's assume they don't understand the Thai policy needs, so what?  If the insurer signs the certificate, and you the customer are happy with it, then there should be no problem using it.  And if for some reason the policy later turns out to be not acceptable to the Thais, well, wouldn't that put the risk soley on you?  I doubt the Thai hospital would refuse treatment.  The policy is what it is.  It may not meet the Thai immigration needs, but that would be a moot point at that time?  And there would be nothing that could come back and harm the insurance company?  yes no?

Edited by gk10002000

21 hours ago, moontang said:

I said four times more..75% less.  Even if it is five..care for seniors costs a lot more than 33 THB per day..would barely cover the cost of the new shingles vaccine.  Seniors not on any prescriptions is a rare exception.  I know of a recent 80 year old visitor who was diagnosed with pneumonia, and hospitalized for two days in CR...25000.  And the people requiring long term care?  Did you learn math from Crazy Bernie or Pocahantis?

You missed the point- medical care in Thailand is 500% cheaper than the USA so comparisons are imposible.  The Thai Social Security system does not have nicesties like shingles shots or any preventative medicine such as the American system.

The cost per patient in Thailand is much cheaper  and would go down considerably- if more people were brought into the system.  In the USA  Medicare  starts at Age 65 so obviously more people would use it. In Thailand I am talking about a buy in at Age 50 which means more people paying but actuarily using it less.

By the way-Medicare for All is coming to the USA and not all the name calling you do will stop it. The people want it.

Since you seem to feel my math is incorrect- what would your plan cost in Thailand based on Thai figures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

So why don't you start with telling us which immigration office you belong to? If I want correct info about the O-A Visa and insurances, I wouldn't ask the officer behind the 90 days report desk. They have by far the easiest and most simple job at immigration. 

i spoke with the officer making my extensions every year and i understand him,he need respect the informations that he receives from the boss,i think so,and it is a public secret that they prefer a retirement extension that a marriage extension,more work,one set for him and one set for Bangkok and the stamp first in consideration for 30 days and after accepted or refused from Bangkok,Anyway i need go out the country first and then i will see what happen,but i am ready to move to an other country if necessary,have no home and no children here it is may be my luck,many friends are here with one or 2 homes and a family and cannot be accepted by insurances companies because some too old of sick or surgeries in the last 10 years.We are expat ans we have only duties no rights.

21 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

You missed the point- medical care in Thailand is 500% cheaper than the USA so comparisons are imposible.  The Thai Social Security system does not have nicesties like shingles shots or any preventative medicine such as the American system.

The cost per patient in Thailand is much cheaper  and would go down considerably- if more people were brought into the system.  In the USA  Medicare  starts at Age 65 so obviously more people would use it. In Thailand I am talking about a buy in at Age 50 which means more people paying but actuarily using it less.

By the way-Medicare for All is coming to the USA and not all the name calling you do will stop it. The people want it.

Since you seem to feel my math is incorrect- what would your plan cost in Thailand based on Thai figures.

If it cost five times more in the US, Thai care would be 80% less.  Take a fifth of what Medicare costs pp, and you would get about 7500 THB per month, pp.  But that would be for the 65 and ups.  

10 minutes ago, MeePeeMai said:

Only if you use a Government Hospital IMHO

Folks, at 100% less, you are at zero.  They actually spend quite a bit of time on that in 6th and 7th Grade.  And the argument about bringing more younger people into the system was used extensively by Barry and Creepy Joe..problem was that it was so costly, only people with serious existing conditions took them up on it..so it had the opposite effect.

Edited by moontang
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The consulate in Penang will issue a non-o visa for being 50 or over. Only the embassy in KL will not issue one.

Penang has the same requirements as Savannakhet.

It appears as though the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh, sadly, does not offer the non-imm O based on being over 50. Their web page only specifies three categories of non-imm O: supporting Thai children, married to a Thai and voluntary position in Thailand. 

The only non-imm O visa is for volunteers on the pages of the Hanoi embassy, plus the O-A. 

Hanging over all of this is the possibility they remove the "over 50" category everywhere or expand the health care requirement to the Os. You have to not only have a Plan B, but a Plan C, Plan D, Plan E, Plan F. . . Think I might go with Plan F. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, moontang said:

Folks, at 100% less, you are at zero.  They actually spend quite a bit of time on that in 6th and 7th Grade

I took it that he was just exaggerating to prove a point (as in he meant much, much cheaper).  I didn't bother spending much time at school when I was young, I was too busy surfing, playing guitar and chasing poontang. 

1 hour ago, moontang said:

f it cost five times more in the US, Thai care would be 80% less.  Take a fifth of what Medicare costs pp, and you would get about 7500 THB per month, pp.  But that would be for the 65 and ups. 

The 7500  Baht per month is way over priced especially since one is using a Government Hospital and the cost of an 80 year old Foreigner is the same as an 80 year old Thai.  

The United States  Social Security payment is 1.45% of one's salary- when one reaches age 65  there is no cost but out patient care is aroung $150.00 per month  or 4500 Baht.  If the US system can sustain itself on 4500 Bht per month- I would agree to pay 4500 Baht per month in Thailand for full coverage both hospital and out patient to include dental and vision.   Bring it on!!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

since one is using a Government Hospital and the cost of an 80 year old Foreigner is the same as an 80 year old Thai.

Not really, because, thanks to the multiple tier pricing, supported by the Government, a foreigner pays more for an MRI scan etc, than a Thai national.

Edited by lkv

57 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

It appears as though the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh, sadly, does not offer the non-imm O based on being over 50. Their web page only specifies three categories of non-imm O: supporting Thai children, married to a Thai and voluntary position in Thailand. 

The only non-imm O visa is for volunteers on the pages of the Hanoi embassy, plus the O-A. 

Hanging over all of this is the possibility they remove the "over 50" category everywhere or expand the health care requirement to the Os. You have to not only have a Plan B, but a Plan C, Plan D, Plan E, Plan F. . . Think I might go with Plan F. 

I am official married in Thailand and i am up 65,i think that i can receive anywhere Non O based on marriage for 90 days.I think also the Non O up 50 will disappear only for married.

18 minutes ago, vivananahuahin said:

I am official married in Thailand and i am up 65,i think that i can receive anywhere Non O based on marriage for 90 days.I think also the Non O up 50 will disappear only for married.

Do you have your own crystal ball? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

So why not go to Savannakhet,Laos? They still issue Non-Immigrant O based on retirement. 

12 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

So, you found one country in Europe? I wouldn't call it "many". 

You are right.  I was somewhat biased as that one country is my home-country.

Learning point > If a country's thai embassy website info does not mention Non Imm O Visas for retirement, check out the country's  local consulates as these might issue them.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:35 AM, Max69xl said:

An immigration officer at the largest airport in Thailand is supposed to be able to read a police order in thai and understand it. And if they don't understand, why not ask someone who should know? The police order was released in April,over 6 months ago. 

Who knows, maybe he wanted a gift of donuts. Or perverse pleasure in stressing the OP.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 3:04 AM, Hayduke said:

I entered in 2006 on an O-A and have been doing uninterrupted extensions in Bangkok since then...

Source: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1133253-clarification-of-insurance-and-extensions-since-3110/?do=findComment&comment=14751907

The Immigration Bureau Memorandum Memorandum 0029.161/W 4603 dated 27.09.2019 has this reference to an earlier Memorandum about the O-A visa:

Immigration Bureau Memorandum 0029.143-160 dated 14.01.2008 reference.png

Question: Did the Ministry of Foreign Affairs introduce the non-immigrant visa category O-A in January 2008?

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

Source: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1133253-clarification-of-insurance-and-extensions-since-3110/?do=findComment&comment=14751907

The Immigration Bureau Memorandum Memorandum 0029.161/W 4603 dated 27.09.2019 has this reference to an earlier Memorandum about the O-A visa:

Immigration Bureau Memorandum 0029.143-160 dated 14.01.2008 reference.png

Question: Did the Ministry of Foreign Affairs introduce the non-immigrant visa category O-A in January 2008?

No, I got mine in 2004

5 hours ago, lkv said:

Important Updates

Suvarnabhumi is now stamping people for 30 days.

They really like to take the p#ss, one day one way, another day another way.....????

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1395920320731833?view=permalink&id=2577658015891385

FB_IMG_1574616606169.jpg

FB_IMG_1574616609615.jpg

I wonder what happens if the visa holder doesn't buy insurance within the 30 days and then leaves and tries to re-enter, effectively a border run, would he/she be denied entry or would they be given another 30 days I wonder? 

Edited by saengd