O/A visa and insurance experience today

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually I suspect the majority of the unpaid hospital bills are the results of those much younger having accidents, getting emergency treatment and then leaving the country to avoid paying bills as they have no travel insurance or don't feel the responsibility to pay. 

i think that's unlikely, travel insurance is very cheap in comparison to health insurance and as you get older you are more likely to need hospital treatment. Every year you are 10% more likely to die

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The authorities have a point with the old fellas 70-80+ who have no insurance OR money to pay for medical costs. These guys are causing the problem. There definitely needs to be two options though, health insurance or money in the bank, It's sensible but TiT

You are probably right, they are the types who might well end up in ICU for weeks on end, at umpteen 1000s per day. But there surely must be a large component of short term tourists who end up in hospital too, accidents etc and the number of tourists is substantial. Lots of Gofundme pages for these in Thai hospitals.

It seems logical to expect some required coverage for all us retired Expats.

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Just for entering the country while the visa is valid a foreign insurance will be accepted, if you have the "foreign insurance certificate".

I think of my printed policy as a "foreign insurance certificate". Or are you talking about something else. 

I think it maybe a can of worms on your 2nd year entry where an IO may deny you because of not understanding the original policy actually lasts two years. Hopefully i'm wrong on that! Of course it could be clarified and noted on the visa by the embassy.

23 minutes ago, UncleMhee said:

I think of my printed policy as a "foreign insurance certificate". Or are you talking about something else. 

I think it maybe a can of worms on your 2nd year entry where an IO may deny you because of not understanding the original policy actually lasts two years. Hopefully i'm wrong on that! Of course it could be clarified and noted on the visa by the embassy.

The insurance certificate is a one page summary of the policy with insurance directors signatures. The foreign insurance certificate is an example. The first page of my Pacific Cross Maxima written policy is the stamped and signed certificate. Immigration will want to see the certificate rather than try to read and interpret the full written policy.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I agree with you.

Immediately after the the cabinet resolution was done they  proposed a fee on entry to the country for tourists but it got shot down due to its effect on the tourism numbers.

I think they consider those on OA visas more likely to leave the country after running up medical bills than those on extensions of stay. Most people staying here on extensions of stay have stronger ties to the country and are unlikely to leave the country to avoid paying medical bills.

All the more reason for believing that immigrations intent for the police order is not for those applying for extensions of stay.

Makes sense...they don't like the idea of 100 baht fee on entry per tourist, instead prefer the circ 200k for health insurance for a 70-80 yo

• Sad 1

"They" may consider those uninsured on OA visas more likely to leave the country after running up medical bills, and in some cases that would be true. The same as in some cases people choose to overstay, while others use agents; though not for expediency.

And yes, if you live here 24/7/365 your connections to the country are definitely stronger; the argument though is somewhat tenuous if the only time the O-A holder leaves is for one weekend in two years to get the second year. Then only has a month at home having organised the main documents; police check online. It's then a rather simple matter of putting the application documents together and getting another visa and returning having been scrutinized in a different way.

Edited by UncleMhee

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

i think that's unlikely, travel insurance is very cheap in comparison to health insurance and as you get older you are more likely to need hospital treatment. Every year you are 10% more likely to die

Travel insurance may well be a lot cheaper when compared to health insurance, but a sizeable chunk of the tourist brigade still require some inducement to take out a suitable policy - which being cheerfully allowed to enter Thailand without one clearly does not provide!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Travel insurance may well be a lot cheaper when compared to health insurance, but a sizeable chunk of the tourist brigade still require some inducement to take out a suitable policy - which being cheerfully allowed to enter Thailand without one clearly does not provide!

It's the same in every country I've visited, they don't insist on travel insurance, they realise if you need medical treatment whilst in their country you are liable, same here

20 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Talking about travel-insurance > I made the effort to contact World Nomads, explaining the whole thing and specifically asking whether they would be inclined to provide the signed Certificate when I would take a full year travel-insurance policy with them.  I also made it clear that that would be a very very attractive proposition for most OA Visa holders, and hence a good business opportunity.

They had their legal department take a look at it, but they declined and from their responses it looks like it was more of a semantics issue > we do not do health-insurance.

The irony being that in their standard travel-policy the coverage when you get sick or have an accident and need treatment in a hospital is way beyond the ridiculous 400K/40K inbound-outbound patient care. 

And on top of that with their policy - which more than fully covers the health-insurance requirement - you would also get all other travel-insurance benefits (like repatriation, legal assistance, etc.) at a price comparable with what the approved thai health-insurance companies are offering for IO approved health-insurance policies.

A missed opportunity > but maybe it gets them thinking when more OA Visa holders approach them with similar questions.

I did exactly the same with my German insurer ( Hanse Merkur ). They also checked and after a while I got the signed and stamped certificate posted back to me. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's the same in every country I've visited, they don't insist on travel insurance, they realise if you need medical treatment whilst in their country you are liable, same here

You are equally liable if you are a tourist who incurs a major accident while indulging in a risky activity (like diving or riding a quad bike) without adequate (or, indeed, any) travel insurance cover. But, in stark contrast to their attitude towards retirees and health insurance, the powers-that-be in LOS seem remarkably chilled out and relaxed at the present time in comparison about hospitals being left with significant unpaid bills by tourists who have suffered negative consequences for participating in risky activities!

Edited by OJAS

13 hours ago, MeePeeMai said:

Yea, I think this pretty much spells out the near future for EVERYONE visiting Thailand soon (regardless of visa status).  The writing is on the walls and the fat lady is getting ready to sing.

1481098492_Allgroupsinsurance.jpg.19022028d5ebba7c4abf778f647e1cee.jpg

KEY WORDS:  TOURISTS AND FOREIGNERS OF ALL GROUPS

It does look like they want to have an impractical solution contrived for all visa classes, if the same design team has been tasked with that. 

They obviously could not obtain a group policy to insure against their losses, and ask for a flat fee contribution (with transparency of their statistical information for justification of such a fee ????). 

Will they publish the O-A issuance rates pre&post October 31st?

20 hours ago, Pib said:

Well said.  I also got an OA Visa 11 years ago before retiring/moving to Thailand as it was easy to get...the recommend visa at the time if over 50 and retiring to Thailand...guess that's why they call it a retirement visa.  Now on my 11th retirement extension of stay based on that OA visa from Christmas past. 

Me too.  It was the easy way.  I lived thirty minutes from Kalorama, and O wasn't even a choice, and OA gave me almost two years with one in out at Maesai..also gave me time to bring over the 800k in chunks.  I haven't been to Make in 11 years and don't really miss it.  

8 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

completely agree.  Just the numbers alone would leave one to believe that 30 Million tourists per year  versus 80,000 Long Stayers would generate many more bills due to motorcycle accidents; adventure tours; carelessness  etc.  The tourists are more prone to be taken to a private hospital to be treated where a long term expat who may not be able to get any insurace would go to a Government hospital and pay cash for their treatment.

I also agree that the Ministry of Health  has no  concept of how Insurance actually works- placing  people in  a separate group age 50-75 assures high prices and poor coverage as well as anyone above that age with few posibilities of even getting insurance.  The Malaysian long stay program has a medical insurance requirement but states that anyone who cannot obtain the insurance the requirement is waived.

If long stayers are placed in the Medical  portion of the Thai Social Security System-  they would pay a rate each month and be insured for  life.  The added income into the system would provide  good revenue and the excess used to cover losses to the 30 Baht scheme.

There are so many ways to get  long stayers the  proper coverage and access to Healthcare.  For whatever reason, they picked the worst scenario I could imagine and as a result nothing positive is achieved.

But social security is paid for by payroll deductions..and you seem to be underestimating the costs of caring for the elderly, even in Thailand.  Medicare expenses run about 15000 USD per person, per year in the US..even cutting that by 75%, you are talking about a large amount of money.