Walking around Silom......Not safe...

moontang

17 minutes ago, lkv said:
21 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Since then, Thailand has moved forward.

With the monetary levels of the extortions, that is".

A little bit of hilarious sarcasm but nothing to back up your comment?  

What, that they want bribes that are ranging from 3 times to 10 times more compared to 2015?

Yeah sorry, just take my word on it, or cross check with other posters in various aspects of daily life.

"What, that they want bribes that are ranging from 3 times to 10 times more compared to 2015?"

Yes, if you've got something credible, why not?

"Yeah sorry, just take my word on it..."

No, don't think so.

"...or cross check with other posters in various aspects of daily life".

It doesn't work like that. You're the one making the accusations so how about you cross-checking and linking to all that empirical evidence, not ThaiVisa gossip and hearsay, if it's so easy?

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It doesn't work like that. 

Says you. 

I say, in this context, I want it to work like this.

Not forcing you to believe it.

Others can draw their own conclusions about 2015 being a "very long time ago" and how Thailand has evolved since then.

Edited by lkv
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, lkv said:
29 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It doesn't work like that. 

Says you. 

I say, in this context, I want it to work like this.

Not forcing you to believe it.

Others can draw their own conclusions about 2015 being a "very long time ago" and how Thailand has evolved since then.

Thought so.

By the way, generally it does work like that, regardless of how you'd like it to work.

Edited by Just Weird

1 hour ago, PhilippBKK said:

Actually pretty sad you didn't get arrested for public urination and your ass kicked a little bit.

Try again and let us know about when it happened, it might be a lot more entertaining......

Took a leak in pitch black dark, in some bushes, with no one around.. And you think I deserve to get assaulted?  What a ####.  Would like to see you try, little boy.  

So nothing actually happened, what was the unsafe part?

"was wearing shorts and nice cross trainers.. expensive looking by Thai standards"  

Nope, looking like a tourist. Not a quality one because you were looking for transport by a bus.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

So nothing actually happened, what was the unsafe part?

"was wearing shorts and nice cross trainers.. expensive looking by Thai standards"  

Nope, looking like a tourist. Not a quality one because you were looking for transport by a bus.

How many tourist know how to use the very few 24 hour bus routes? 

29 minutes ago, moontang said:

How many tourist know how to use the very few 24 hour bus routes? 

Personally none, as my friends have money. It is pretty easy to find with a search engine on the internet though:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=24+hour+bus+routes+bangkok&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-us&httpsmsn=1&msnews=1&refig=7f7c0b1ee5e145cb85ad05dba523af23&sp=-1&pq=24+hour+bus+routes+bangkok&sc=0-26&qs=n&sk=&cvid=7f7c0b1ee5e145cb85ad05dba523af23

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Yes, most expats are wealthy.. just read the 4000 pages about having to put 800k in the bank.. Oh, the pain.  Money or little money, the bus beats arguing with a bkk cab driver, who would gladly drop the dime on any passenger.  Can you show me one account of someone getting pulled off a city bus and searched or forced to p?

its likely just the bad luck of the draw and not that specific area.

all you can do is scan for that sort of thing and cross the street, otherwise just avoid eye contact and smile if they approach you. there's really no getting away once your noticed so nothing you can do.

i know they dont like pissing in public here though, moreso then in other countries. could be a face thing. youll get ticketed for that.

Edited by fhickson
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fhickson said:

its likely just the bad luck of the draw and not that specific area.

all you can do is scan for that sort of thing and cross the street, otherwise just avoid eye contact and smile if they approach you. there's really no getting away once your noticed so nothing you can do.

Yeah, that is a rational stance.  It was unusually deserted around there.  Apparently they keep the park area somewhat secure after 9pm closing.  Scanning and avoiding is good advice, but I just unexpectedly found myself in a me and them situation.  Kind of like drink driving in the US.. After the bars close, you are either a cop or not a cop, and if you are doing anything remotely suspicious or had a drop of alcohol, you become the prey.  

1 hour ago, lkv said:

Anyone that is not on drugs should happily comply with these idiots? I mean, be happy about it?

"If you have nothing to hide, you should not mind it" or something?

In my home country in Europe I have never been stopped for an ID check in 25 years walking on the street. Not once. In Malaysia 3 and a half years there, never ever.

Hong Kong, Taipei, Phnom Pehn, Tokyo, Singapore, Manila, Jakarta, you name it. For travelling. Never stopped.

Guess what.

I get stopped in Bangkok Sukhumvit, 3 days in a row for pocket search, passport check, wallet check and so on by these BiB.

Once I was with an Asian friend that understood Thai but pretended not to speak Thai, and he told me later one was saying "check the shoes", but they gave up on the idea. 

They follow people on the street with their motorbikes, they stop taxis with foreigners inside (not limited to farang, they stop all foreigners).

This is personal experience, experience of friends of mine, and has happened to so many, that it made it to the newspapers.

Plenty of reports on Bangkok Expats also (Facebook).

They're just doing their job, yes?

Why in all these other places I have been, "they are not doing their job"? 

Never been stopped in over 30 years and I get about a lot.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Never been stopped in over 30 years and I get about a lot.

Not in Bangkok Sukhumvit you don't. Otherwise, you would be aware of what is going on.

Edited by lkv
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, moontang said:

Yeah, that is a rational stance.  It was unusually deserted around there.  Apparently they keep the park area somewhat secure after 9pm closing.  Scanning and avoiding is good advice, but I just unexpectedly found myself in a me and them situation.  Kind of like drink driving in the US.. After the bars close, you are either a cop or not a cop, and if you are doing anything remotely suspicious or had a drop of alcohol, you become the prey.  

was it actual police or the park guards? i may be mistaken but i dont think the park guards are city police, but i could be wrong.

the park guards are everywhere in public parks and watch every little thing. one of the reasons im notv100 comfortable there. isome people call them the litter police.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:42 PM, moontang said:

But you are a fool to think you are safe in an area like that in a taxi..

There is a brand new thing in Thailand, called Grab. Perhaps it´s unknown in the US, but you should learn about it. 

3 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

There is a brand new thing in Thailand, called Grab. Perhaps it´s unknown in the US, but you should learn about it. 

Grab are simply taxis with a grab sign on the window around here, charging more than the regular meter.. but would be useful in areas where taxi are more crooked than usual.  Still gotta wait by the curb.  Last guy I asked if he was lost, told me he was waiting for grab, even though there were a 100 of other options right in front of him.  Happy for you and your partner if it works to go eat French fries on Nimman. 

19 minutes ago, fhickson said:

was it actual police or the park guards? i may be mistaken but i dont think the park guards are city police, but i could be wrong.

the park guards are everywhere in public parks and watch every little thing. one of the reasons im notv100 comfortable there. isome people call them the litter police.

It was Bib, and it was across the street from the closed park.  But wouldn't be surprised if they were out on the game, too.